• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DEO Closed for 2012?

mike1788

Inactive
Reaction score
Would like to start off with a big Kudos to all the contributors and mods on this site, this resource has answered many questions along my application processes over the years.

Been working hard on a pilot application since high school for the past 6 years and seemed that the ball was finally rolling this time with the huge intake. Applied under the DEO stream.

Had my final interview on Oct 11 with CFRC Vancouver and had an ASC spot confirmed this morning Oct 16 at 9 am for the course next week on the 22nd.

90 minutes later I received a call saying that there was a misunderstanding and that apparently Pilot DEO had been closed on Oct 2 and that I had been pulled off the course and would be contacted again to meet with my Career advisor to discuss my options.

Two questions:

Can anyone else with this experience, applicant or recruiter shed some light as to how I wouldve been allowed to interview or my reference check continue before listed to ASC a few weeks past the supposed close date? I thought that the trade spots are updated weekly or in some trades more than that? On the 11th the system said that there was 28 spots remaining with a contingency for that number to grow to 50 ( was what I was told the trade table said on screen)

Second question:

What sort of Options are there to be discussed now? My guess is a few other trades will be suggested to me that are open or close the application? Or will my application stay in limbo until the trade opens up again?

Either way I will stick to the old age saying of if I want it to keep trying and soon enough it will hit, fourth application after all and will continue to chive on.

Thanks for the insight everyone

I had a similar situation happen to me when I applied. I originally applied in July 2008 and didn't end up getting on aircrew selection until November 2009 and didn't get an offer until May 2010!! The best advice I can give you is to stick with your application. Make sure it's kept active and that you are up to date on its status. Also, keep in mind that the CFs fiscal year starts in April, and a big chunk of offers usually end up going out at the beginning of the FY. Make sure your interview and medical are up to date before April. Keep doing things to sweeten your application in case you have to interview again (I did 2 update interviews after the original one to keep my file active).

Keep with it, and don't get discouraged. It was totally worth the wait, and then some.

mike1788 said:
Two questions:

Can anyone else with this experience, applicant or recruiter shed some light as to how I wouldve been allowed to interview or my reference check continue before listed to ASC a few weeks past the supposed close date? I thought that the trade spots are updated weekly or in some trades more than that? On the 11th the system said that there was 28 spots remaining with a contingency for that number to grow to 50 ( was what I was told the trade table said on screen)

Second question:

What sort of Options are there to be discussed now? My guess is a few other trades will be suggested to me that are open or close the application? Or will my application stay in limbo until the trade opens up again?

Occupations close on short notice and Pilot (DEO) was one of them.  No idea where your information regarding #'s came from because Pilot (DEO) closed before the 11th....

Go in for your update interview and see what they have to say, it can't hurt.  If your dead set on becoming a Pilot, then stick with it and don't change your mind.  One question you may want to ask is "How competitive do you think I am and what should I do to increase my chances of being selected".

Regarding your application status, that information will be provided during your follow-up interview.

Consider yourself lucky to have had the interview at least, as that's one more check in the box.  If something does happen later in the year, then you should be ready to proceed on ASC.

I heard from my recruiting officer that there's a possibility that they reopen the pilot DEO in march. The fiscal year for the RCAF ends April first , so they need to empty the budget before April. Maybe, they are gonna send some money to the training facilities to create new pilots so they can clear their budget... but again, its a big MAYBE. And after that, it's mostly around April/May that new position are filled in, because of the new budget for the RCAF.

So for all of us that are waiting for a call, sit tight.

Philley said:
The fiscal year for the RCAF ends April first ,

The fiscal year, not just for the RCAF, starts April 1st. It ends March 31st.

Philley said:
I heard from my recruiting officer that there's a possibility that they reopen the pilot DEO in march. The fiscal year for the RCAF ends April first , so they need to empty the budget before April. Maybe, they are gonna send some money to the training facilities to create new pilots so they can clear their budget... but again, its a big MAYBE. And after that, it's mostly around April/May that new position are filled in, because of the new budget for the RCAF.

So for all of us that are waiting for a call, sit tight.

It has nothing to do with $$$$$  And yes, there are always possibilities that occupations will open up again before 31 Mar.  So if you have already been merit listed but not offered a position, then there is still the slight chance.

DAA said:
It has nothing to do with $$$$$  And yes, there are always possibilities that occupations will open up again before 31 Mar.  So if you have already been merit listed but not offered a position, then there is still the slight chance.

So for those who have not yet attended ACSC ....  SOL?  Will they continue processing people through air crew to merit list a few more candidates?

I'm DEO and was booked for ASC Oct 29 to Nov 2 about two weeks ago, and I haven't been told I'm out yet. My file manager booked my flights two days ago and I should get the details in the mail today. I suppose there's still a week for them to cancel, but I wonder if they'll still test some of us and keep people who qualify on the list for the next openings?

skyhigh10 said:
So for those who have not yet attended ACSC ....  SOL?  Will they continue processing people through air crew to merit list a few more candidates?

Not necessarily SOL.....  It all depends on how many people are already merit listed for the specific occupation and how those files rate.

DAA said:
Not necessarily SOL.....  It all depends on how many people are already merit listed for the specific occupation and how those files rate.

So they could have 15 people merit listed right and not offer them positions (assuming they are not as competitive) ? In which case they would schedule another air crew session and increase the candidate pool?

I guess the best question is -  do they have enough people right now on the merit list to pull from? I don't expect this information to be known off the top of ones head but it's worth the shot. 

I'm kind of going through something similar, also applying as DEO. See my story here:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/108312.0.html

It was probably just a misunderstanding. Discrepancies are probably not uncommon given the number of applicants and the complexity of the recruitement process. For example, I was told in the CFRC Toronto on October 18th that all pilot positions have been filled for the fiscal year, apparently as a result of a more successful than usual Aircrew Selection session. A couple of weeks later I was told by someone who is an official recruiter that I've been misinformed and that positions are still open - I believe I heard the recruiter quote 75 positions. I checked again with the CFRC a few days ago and again I was informed that pilot positions are still open but no new Aircrew Selection sessions have been scheduled for now. Then you are saying you've been told all DEO positions have been closed since the beginning of October. Meanwhile, the CF website has been displaying "Pilots in Demand" on its front page all along. Who's got the ligit info? Any experienced recruiters here that can provide feedback? Will be much appreciated. Now I'm waiting either to be scheduled for Aircrew Selection or for my file to be closed in case all positions fill up.

This is what I discussed on the day I was told that pilot positions have been filled. Disappointed, I was sent to speak with a recruiter about my options. He looked at my application/education background and at the positions that are currently available. I have an engineering degree so he suggested a couple of engineering careers with the CF. I don't think your education needs to necessarily correlate with the CF profession you want, as long as you meet the requirements and the position is open. So, if your 1st choice position is unavailable, I was told you can reapply for another profession while your file is still active. You wouldn't have to redo the CFAT or medical, but you'd have to redo the interview for the new position. If you choose to stick to your 1st choice but positions have been closed, your file will be closed. You will have to reapply online again, updating all your info, once positions open up again. I was told your medical is good for a year, and I believe the CFAT is good for some time too. You would likely have to do another interview, however, along with resubmitting that updated online application. Having done the tests previously, you might have a leg up on the fresh applicants the next time positions open, so it's good to check often and keep current on position openings. But I'm sure the scores also make a big difference, so it's always a good idea to work on strengthening your application while you wait. Get physically active. Volunteer. Get involved in some leadership activities.

If any recruiters can clarify the picture for current pilot applicants here, that would be really great. What's happening with the DEO pilot positions for this year? If only 75 positions are open, how large of a merit list pool is created? Also, slightly off-topic, are there plans to recruit more pilots in the next several years to fly the F-35s? Or is it still unclear if CF is buying those?

Thanks a bunch everyone.

I've been called up for Pilot! BMOQ January 7! Good luck to everyone with their fingers still crossed!

peak_to_prairie said:
I've been called up for Pilot! BMOQ January 7! Good luck to everyone with their fingers still crossed!

Congrats! Have fun on your journey!

Back