• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DEO Pay Scale, Promotion = Pay Decrease?

nick_the_guy

Inactive
Reaction score
Looking at the Regular Force Officer pay scale, I see some weird pay differences for junior officers. Hoping someone can clarify:

1) If you were a 2Lt DEO being paid at the 2 year grade ($4,261 per month) and then was promoted to Lt DEO, would you get paid at the basic rate ($4,006)? So a promotion = pay cut?

2) The current pay scale PDF on the CF recruiting website says that a DEO officer gets paid more as a 2Lt after 4 years than a Lt.  e.g. A 2Lt @ 6 years gets $5,518 while a Lt @ 6 years gets $5,116. Wow, is that correct?

Not entirely sure, but I believe the 2LT DEO is for lower then Sgt, and Above Sgt but lower then MWO is Lt, but I heard this explanation a few years ago and not sure how correct it is.

You'll never see a pay-cut. On a promotion you'll move the Lt category that's closest to your current pay, and start from there.

GD said:
Not entirely sure, but I believe the 2LT DEO is for lower then Sgt, and Above Sgt but lower then MWO is Lt, but I heard this explanation a few years ago and not sure how correct it is.

Considering DEO stands for Direct Entry Officer, which is not a commissioning plan for NCMs...your info is pretty incorrect.

Without looking up current regulations (never know there may have been a change)  it looks to me like you would go from 2Lt (6) to Lt(9) on the DEO pay scale.  You do not suffer a pay decrease on promotion.

GD - that was a general rule of thumb for CFR that people were passing around.

Here's how it works...

On the day you're promoted, the pay system will look at your rate of pay the day prior to promotion. It will then take the difference between PI basic and PI 1 of your new rank and add this amount to your rate of pay prior to promotion. The resulting amount will likely fall in between two PIs. When this happens, your new rate of pay will always go to the higher PI amount.

For example, if your rate of pay prior to promotion is $4,261, then the difference between PI basic and PI 1 of your new rank is $326. This plus $4,261 = $4,587. This amount falls between PI 2 & 3 of your new rank; therefore, your rate of pay on promotion would be PI 3 - $4,644.

Back