• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Depart with Dignity

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
AIDE MEMOIRE:  DEPART WITH DIGNITY (December 2005)
Organizing a retirement ceremony.

Note - The 2005 booklet was replaced in 2009.
You can find the 2009 version at:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pd/pi-ip/doc/01-09-eng.pdf

I'm not setting a record for necro-posting but it is an old topic, isn't it?

Was wondering if this program, or something with a similar name, is still in effect and what it currently looks like; is there an updated aide memoire for a current program?

I know the program is still in use. I will have to check to confirm if there have been any major updates, though I doubt it.

The biggest challenge I have seen, is the lead time to get all the letters and certificates to arrive on time for the retirement date.

Edit: To add a DIN link to the edition we are using.

"Depart with Dignity"  has been studied and "improvised" ( for lack of a better word ) outside of the the CF. Retirement is a very emotional time in a person's life. Not to be morbid, but CF ceremonial and funeral protocol is also studied as "the model" by some civilian agencies.

Necro-rising the thread again, seeking updated info on this program.  I ask because i was speaking to a group of reservists last month and none of them had heard of this program before, not even the officers.

a) Is the Depart With Dignity program still active?
b) Is it still available for both reg and res forces members?
c) The last message Ive seen on this is dated Jan 2009 (open source page), is there a more current version available?

The link at the top is no longer working, and the original booklet is superseded with this:

CF Mil Pers Instr 01/09 – DEPART WITH DIGNITY
dated 16 January 2009
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pd/pi-ip/doc/01-09-eng.pdf

Intro Page;
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pd/pi-ip/01-09-eng.asp

a - yes
b - yes
c - See CF Mil Pers Instr 01/09
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pd/pi-ip/01-09-eng.asp

Greymatters said:
c) The last message Ive seen on this is dated Jan 2009 (open source page), is there a more current version available?

Thats the one I was referring to already.

So it seems the CF has some units who still dont know this program exists...

Greymatters said:
Thats the one I was referring to already.

So it seems the CF has some units who still dont know this program exists...

I'm not entirely surprised unfortunately.

I re-read the DWD aide-memoire and had to laugh at the part that encourages retirement functions to be brought back to the messes. Having coordinated a few DWDs, dealing with messes has been nothing short of a massive, debilitating headache.

CDN Aviator
I have done several here in Halifax and had absolutely no issues with the Mess. In fact, I believe Retirement Functions hold a certain priority over other events (except when the Queen was here!). For anyone doing one of these and unsure of how to proceed, PM me and I can send info from the last one I did as a template (It is Navy themed). Note that someone up in DHH doesn't like us folding the flag the way 'we' do for the triangular shaped Shadow Boxes.

Hello,

I joined under the YTEP program 12 Apr 1985, retiired 29 Nov 2010.  I have completed 25+ yrs of service and was told I was NOT entitled to my Canadian Flag unfer the DWD program. Yes, I have paid back my I year pension (YTEP) and both the release centre and pension office have to at 25yrs +.  So, anybody else have this problem with YTEP and DWD?  Oh, BTW been waiting over 7 months to get something, nothing yet!  The last encouraging words when I left was " see ya later quittter"..Nice eh?  Thanks

Huh.  When I retired, I got my final handshake from a civilian at the release section.  My certificate and thanks-for-coming-out pin arrived in the mail 6 months later.  on my last day, about 8 guys showed up at the Crown and Anchor, and I was home within 2 hours.

Well, when i handled the DWD stuff for one of our guys, i had all his certificates (CF, AF and one for his wife), letters from the PM, Premier and mayor all before the member was actualy out. The flag is several years wait ( IIRC its 5 for one from the west block and 10 for one from the peace tower) so i couldnt control that.

True, unless one puts in for their retirement flag from the Peace Tower when they enroll, nobody is going to get one.  But for those with 25+ years in you can, and should, get a flag flown at the base/unit the member was serving at upon retirement. 

garb811 said:
True, unless one puts in for their retirement flag from the Peace Tower when they enroll, nobody is going to get one.

That's a good idea.... I should apply for it once I hit 15 years in, and store it till I decide to pull pin.  :D

If you put it in at 15 years, you better be planning on a 42 year career.  Current wait time is approx 27 years.

garb811 said:
True, unless one puts in for their retirement flag from the Peace Tower when they enroll, nobody is going to get one.  But for those with 25+ years in you can, and should, get a flag flown at the base/unit the member was serving at upon retirement.

4.3 The 25 Year Canadian Flag

Effective 1 August 2008, all honourably releasing CF personnel with at least 25 years of military service are eligible for presentation, in recognition of their lengthy service, of a Canadian Flag which has been flown at the members Unit/Base or Wing.
RFCs are to verify that the retiring member meets the requisite 25 completed years of military service in any component or sub-component of the CF. This information along with the member’s full name and rank are to be provided to the respective Unit/Base/Wing Chief Warrant Officer’s office. The Unit/Base/Wing CWO will ensure that the Canadian Flag provided to the RFC has flown in a place of prominence on the Base/Wing, or if requested flown at the member’s unit. This program is to recognize a member’s contribution to the CF and Canada, on one retirement occasion only, following completion of 25 years of service. Re-enrolment or component transfer does not generate an entitlement to subsequent flag presentations.

4.4 Parliament Hill Canadian Flag

The Canadian Flag initiative within the DWD program does not preclude requesting a Canadian flag flown from the Peace Tower or East/West Block. However, CF personnel with 35 years service will no longer receive priority placement on the waiting list for this flag.
The Parliament Hill Flag may be requested by sending a written request that includes the member’s full home mailing address and identifying which building's flag. (There is currently a 20-year waiting list for a Peace Tower flag and a 11-year waiting list for the East and West Block flags.) at time of writing As a policy, only one flag is sent per household. Send your request to:

Public Works and Government Services Canada
Office of the Minister 18A1, Portage III
11 Laurier Street
Gatineau, QC, K1A 0S5
or by fax to: 819-953-1908 or by e-mail to:
Minister@pwgsc.gc.ca

italics mine

Well, at least now there is a full aide-memoire...I still remember when the policy was just getting started up...wooo what a time...

I retired (Ytep) in Feb 2008. They told me the story of waiting 5 to 10 years. I said the heck with it. 
Besides it would be really nice if they could have given me my rifle instead ;)

Waiting 5-10 years isnt a program anymore, its a joke - it only demonstrates how little it is regarded...

Back