• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Different paths for becoming an officer

Hey everyone...I will be completing my degree in May of next year, and in the mean time I expect to be a Pte. at my local infantry reserve unit [barring this summer's DP1 goes as planned]. How would I go about becoming an officer in my unit once my degree is completed? I was told in the past that my unit only accepts people to become officer's who are already in the ncm ranks...so I am wondering what process I'd have to go through?

Furthermore, if I was a Pte., or even waited it out until I was a Cpl, do you guys have any idea if any of the courses I took would be credited on my transfer to officer? I'm assuming that I would probably only get credited for BMQ in replace of BMOQ, but if anyone has other ideas please let me know.

I spent 10 years as an NCM, before someone decided I had 'officer-like qualities' and should be commissioned from the ranks (CFR).  I think it started when I lost an important document and then found it in my own in-box.  ;)  Anyway, that time as an NCM was valuable education & experience that I couldn't have gained any other way, and frankly I wouldn't have been ready before that point. 

That said, everyone's path is different.  Wookilar has a good point - if you think it's right for you now, pursue it now.  Read the rest of this thread again, and talk to the recruiting officer both at your unit and at the nearest CFRC if there is one.  Good luck.

PuckChaser said:
Love officer is accepting applications? Sign me up.

LOL. It's armour officer. I'm sure a little bit more love in the army won't hurt (as long it's not towards the enemies)

estoguy said:
That must be a new position! I'd sign up for that!  :nod:

You say that now, but wait until you see what you have to do with a HESH round.

I got picked up for a commission through this program. The fire team partner they matched me up with was awesome but there was a real snake in the syndicate who bladed us... ;D

FYI, infantry and armor officer positions are available.

Wookilar said:
Yes, there are a few ways to get your Queen's Commission.

One way is to start as an ncm and either go:

1) special commissioning (you already have a degree);
2) UTPNCM (the CF sends you to get a degree);
3) commission from the ranks (you might get a degree....later...sometime...maybe), and
4) continuing education officer training plan (you get a degree within 10 years of working full time).

Are these the only avenues for commissioning from an NCM?

ARMY_101 said:
Are these the only avenues for commissioning from an NCM?

Yes, and depending on numbers some of them won't be available (or be full).

Allgunzblazing said:
That being said, the Reserves seem to have a different attitude. The unit recruiters that I spoke with, all said that they prefer to promote their own staff, rather than have people fresh off the streets joining as officers and telling them what to do. (I have spoken with four militia recruiters and they've all said the same thing).
This seems very odd to me.  I know of some units that do have a preference for CFR's because the unit feels that it gives some much needed growing/learning time to a potential Officer, but I have never had the feeling that this is a total PRes mentality.  Very odd indeed, especially your last statement about "telling them what to do".

estoguy said:
:eek:

Surely you're not serious? LOL
Yes, and don't call me Shirley.  (airplane 2 reference)

Back