• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Director of photography killed, movie director injured after Alec Baldwin discharged prop firearm

In the U.S., yes they must disclose anything that’s directly exculpatory, or that weapons the evidence of the prosecution. You’ve got it essentially right. In Canada it’s more stringent still; we have to disclose everything relevant.
All that Law and Order I watched. And reading several books - notably Helter Skelter - has learned me a few things…

Generally no, with some narrow exceptions.

I was thinking of this

That’s a quite narrow exception applicable to sexual offences. Essentially it’s set up to shield the complainant/victim from attacks on their history and character that doesn’t actually afford evidence of the alleged offence. It sets up a mechanism where the defense can have a hearing held for a judge to determine the relevance and admissibility of records pertaining to the complainant. It’s part of a larger effort to make the justice system more accessible to sexual assault victims who historically have faced tremendous revictimization through the process of an adversarial trial. This disclosure obligation only arises if the defence chooses particular defence strategy based on particular records evidence.

What this doesn’t do is create some broad duty to disclose.

Back