• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Disresectful member of the US Forces.

Question, are we required to salute or merely stand at attention when other countries' nation anthems are playing?

10. Anthems.    When the Royal Anthem, Vice Regal Anthem, National Anthem (see A-AD-200-000/AG-000) or the national anthem of a foreign country is played, all shall stand and:

a. All ranks who are not part of a formed military group shall salute. The salute shall commence with the playing of the first note of music and shall be cut away at the end of the last note.

b. Formed military groups shall be called to attention and all officers or the person in charge shall salute; formed military groups bearing arms shall present arms.

c. On defence establishments, all vehicles within hearing distance shall be stopped and the occupants shall dismount and pay compliments.

2ndChoiceName said:
Simple enough, I think I can remember that.

It is, indeed, simple enough. And the rule applies, pretty much, to any military force anywhere in the world.

I have, while still serving, charged more than one CF member for failing to salute at the appropriate time ~ but never for failing to salute me. I have "jacked up" CF members after I retired for similar things - like not saluting when passing the National War Memorial in downtown Ottawa.

What was reported in the opening post of this thread was, simply, a matter of poor discipline which, as Journeyman noted, is not confined to the US Army ~ there is plenty of it here, in the CF.

Discipline is the sine qua non of a military force; it is discipline, imposed, first, on young soldiers and officers, and then given by example, which allows tough, well trained, adequately equipped men and women to fight and win when the odds are against them. What passes for bravery is, very often, just good discipline ... but I shouldn't say "just good discipline," there is no such thing as "just good discipline." Good discipline is there by design; it is a function of leadership. When a soldier, like the young American at the hockey game, fails to do what he should, must have been taught is the right and proper thing, the required thing to do then we can guess that he may be stupid or his training may have been deficient or, just as likely, he may be poorly disciplined which means poorly led. When Canadian soldiers fail in such things, as they do, that is the conclusion I usually draw about them: poor leadership.

I was recently alongside at a major US Naval Base.  Not only did they play the Star-Spangled Banner over base wide loud speakers at colours, they also played O Canada.  Thousands, if not Tens of thousands of US Sailors dutifully saluted our national anthem.
It happens.

Having lived this as an OUTCAN for the past three years, the US Army is required to salute (what we might call pay compliments) "When the United States National Anthem, "To the Color," "Hail to the Chief," or foreign national anthems are played."

I will guess it is pure ignorance, and not malice, that this soldier didn't salute.  As mentioned above a take-away from this is that if nobody corrected him then that is the new standard.

Edited for relevance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKTOUkroU0

That clip reminds me of a story I heard about Chesty Puller. From wikipedia:

Puller is loved by enlisted U.S. Marines for his constant actions to improve their working conditions. Puller insisted upon good equipment and discipline; once he came upon a second lieutenant who had ordered an enlisted man to salute him 100 times for missing a salute. Puller told the lieutenant, "You were absolutely correct in making him salute you 100 times lieutenant, but you know that an officer must return every salute he receives. Now return them all, and I will keep count."

CombatDoc said:
Dangerboy, where do you find this stuff?  I'm a movie buff and have never even heard of "Guns at Batasi"!

You don't know Dangerboy like I do.......I'm not surprised by this.  ;)

Having served alongside the US forces a couple of times, and lived there for a while (well south of the border...), I'd say that the soldier simply didn't know any better, or wasn't specifically instructed. Particularly at lower levels, they can be a bit initiative-challenged, and 95% of Americans probably wouldn't recognize O Canada if it jumped up and bit them. Can you recognize the Mexican national anthem?

In my experience, they are very rarely intentionally disrespectful of an allied country's flag, or anything else, once they know what it is and how they are to act towards it.

pbi I can't believe that's the case in this situation in respect to knowing it was the Canadian anthem.
He was standing on the ice right beside the singer and it was announced it was the singing of the national anthems.
Lack of training and leadership I suspect was the reason for the lack of respect, instead of deliberate intention to insult.

I've always found that they go out of their way to ensure that proper protocol and manners are followed.

daftandbarmy said:
I kind of liked this fly past:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvGneffJ48k

That's a good video, but I made the mistake of reading the comments... now I have to go and bash my head into a wall for 30 minutes to try and knock the stupid out

Might have happened more then once, but this happened on TF 1-08 to C Coy 2 PPCLI in Zhari. I have a copy of the certificate the 101st Kiowa guys gave us, shows a Kiowa flying over some LAVs. They liked flying for us, we gave them lots of work

Rhodesian said:
Might have happened more then once, but this happened on TF 1-08 to C Coy 2 PPCLI in Zhari. I have a copy of the certificate the 101st Kiowa guys gave us, shows a Kiowa flying over some LAVs. They liked flying for us, we gave them lots of work

Mike was in Charlie Coy and I have some pics of the Kiowa.

Back