• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DND 404 - Driver's Licence ( merged )

mariomike

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
586
Points
1,260
TheSnake said:
Okay, and for doing some basic Driving Course would having BMQ under my belt be fine?

Snake, maybe that is something you could ask your unit? You have BMQ only?

I was an MSE Op, so 404's were part of the job.

 

BDTyre

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
I did my DDC the day my SQ (now BMQ-L) started. I know of others that have had BMQ only that have gone on drivers' courses (and BMQ only troops are very employable as drivers). It is ultimately up to your unit.
 

TheSnake

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
CanadianTire said:
I did my DDC the day my SQ (now BMQ-L) started. I know of others that have had BMQ only that have gone on drivers' courses (and BMQ only troops are very employable as drivers). It is ultimately up to your unit.

What does DDC stand for and how long is it ?

And going by you're avatar would you know of driving courses in Vancouver/Lower mainland? are there a lot of courses? is it something rarely or quite often ? Is it something if brought up with my chain they can set one up or is this something pre-set for the entire year kind of like BMQ?

Thanks in Advance
 

da1root

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
21
Points
380
TheSnake said:
What does DDC stand for and how long is it ?

And going by you're avatar would you know of driving courses in Vancouver/Lower mainland? are there a lot of courses? is it something rarely or quite often ? Is it something if brought up with my chain they can set one up or is this something pre-set for the entire year kind of like BMQ?

Thanks in Advance

The old DDC is now called the "Safe Driving Course" - it's taught over DND Learn (https://dln-rad.forces.gc.ca/) over 10 Mods.  You need a DWAN account to be able to use DND Learn - you can sign on from home and do the course whenever you want; but having a DWAN account is what enables you to login.
 

TheSnake

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Buck_HRA said:
The old DDC is now called the "Safe Driving Course" - it's taught over DND Learn (https://dln-rad.forces.gc.ca/) over 10 Mods.  You need a DWAN account to be able to use DND Learn - you can sign on from home and do the course whenever you want; but having a DWAN account is what enables you to login.

So if I am reading you're post right (links not working for me)

I first need to make an DWAN account which I assume I have to see the OR about

Then I need to take the Safe Driving Course and that takes 10 Mods to complete ? or there is 10 Mod time slots to choice ? In any case how long is the course? and If I can take it when ever I want, how do I go about setting up the In person/Main road test?

Also forgot to add I'm in PRes
 

BDTyre

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
Drivers courses are likely run once or twice a year - mine was run by 39 Svc Coy. Once you have your DDC, you can learn LSVW and Milcot. To learn something like the MSVS, you'd need an airbrakes qualification and that would likely be done out of Esquimalt. You can also take any of the driver wheeled "full time" out of Esquimalt; instead of stretching from September to December, you'd get the course done in about two weeks (and they may be run more frequently).

I'm not in Ops so I'm not privy to what courses are being run when. I'm also not in the rifle company, so course opportunities often don't get passed on to me. You'd have to check with your home unit as to what is running and when. Also, your home unit may be able to qualify you on things like a cube van or crew cab once you have 404s in your possession.

TheSnake said:
What does DDC stand for and how long is it ?

And going by you're avatar would you know of driving courses in Vancouver/Lower mainland? are there a lot of courses? is it something rarely or quite often ? Is it something if brought up with my chain they can set one up or is this something pre-set for the entire year kind of like BMQ?

Thanks in Advance
 

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1,011
Points
1,060
TheSnake said:
. . .

Then I need to take the Safe Driving Course and that takes 10 Mods to complete ? or there is 10 Mod time slots to choice ? In any case how long is the course? and If I can take it when ever I want, how do I go about setting up the In person/Main road test?

. . .

Perhaps someone (currently or more recently serving) will be by to confirm or clarify.

DDC (or Safe Driving Course as it is now called) is not a course that will teach you to operate a motor vehicle, nor will it be a qualification that allows you to take a road test to get 404s (or at least it didn't in the old days).  To operate military pattern vehicles you would need to do a Driver Wheeled course.  As already explained, DDC is available online, in the old days when I first did it in the military (far too rapidly approaching a half century ago) it was the better part of one day in a classroom.  And looking through my collection of useless certificates, apparently I did it twice (successfully since I got the certificates) before I did it again as part of the Driver Wheeled course, all in the space of a few months.

And DDC is not a unique military course.  It is a civilian course adopted (and adapted) by DND.  The programme that used to be given by DND was the one from Canada Safety Council.  There are a number of organizations (non-profit and for-profit) that provide the training, both on-line and in-classroom.  I don't know about BC, but in Alberta completion of a DDC course counts toward reducing demerit points on your license.
 

TheSnake

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Blackadder1916 said:
Perhaps someone (currently or more recently serving) will be by to confirm or clarify.

DDC (or Safe Driving Course as it is now called) is not a course that will teach you to operate a motor vehicle, nor will it be a qualification that allows you to take a road test to get 404s (or at least it didn't in the old days).  To operate military pattern vehicles you would need to do a Driver Wheeled course.  As already explained, DDC is available online, in the old days when I first did it in the military (far too rapidly approaching a half century ago) it was the better part of one day in a classroom.  And looking through my collection of useless certificates, apparently I did it twice (successfully since I got the certificates) before I did it again as part of the Driver Wheeled course, all in the space of a few months.

And DDC is not a unique military course.  It is a civilian course adopted (and adapted) by DND.  The programme that used to be given by DND was the one from Canada Safety Council.  There are a number of organizations (non-profit and for-profit) that provide the training, both on-line and in-classroom.  I don't know about BC, but in Alberta completion of a DDC course counts toward reducing demerit points on your license.
So long story short It would not get me a Civi drivers then?
 

mariomike

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
586
Points
1,260
TheSnake said:
So long story short It would not get me a Civi drivers then?

Blackadder1916 said:
DDC (or Safe Driving Course as it is now called) is not a course that will teach you to operate a motor vehicle,
 

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
4
Points
410
TheSnake said:
So long story short It would not get me a Civi drivers then?

No, it will not give you a Drivers Licence, of any type.

It will, in some provinces, give you a discount on your car insurance.
 

jaysfan17

Member
Reaction score
1
Points
230
Are 404’s mandatory to obtain if you’re in a non-driving trade?

I was told by a PO2, along with a handful of others on my deployment, that I don’t have to get them, but then the MS at the home unit says the CO is ordering the whole unit to get them. I get an order is an order, but I’ve been told conflicting stories. I’m not interested in getting my 404’s purely because I don’t like driving as it is. Also, I’m still a reservist if that makes a difference.
 

PuckChaser

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
1,424
Points
1,060
Unless they've changed stuff significantly since I was a driver examiner, you can get 404s for A1/B1 (civvies pattern vehicles) by just completing the tests and showing a full G licence (Ontario). No real good reason to not get them.
 

211RadOp

Sr. Member
Reaction score
2
Points
230
PuckChaser said:
Unless they've changed stuff significantly since I was a driver examiner, you can get 404s for A1/B1 (civvies pattern vehicles) by just completing the tests and showing a full G licence (Ontario). No real good reason to not get them.

This was still the case two years ago.
 

winds_13

Member
Reaction score
79
Points
450
Luttrelfan, it would not be unlawful for your CO to order his personnel to complete training and there is certainly real utility in having sufficient personnel that hold 404s. Not liking to do something tends not to be a good reason to try and circumvent an order.

However, as a Class A reservist, unlike RegF or Class B/C personnel, you have the ability to release at will.
 

jaysfan17

Member
Reaction score
1
Points
230
winds_13 said:
Luttrelfan, it would not be unlawful for your CO to order his personnel to complete training and there is certainly real utility in having sufficient personnel that hold 404s. Not liking to do something tends not to be a good reason to try and circumvent an order.

However, as a Class A reservist, unlike RegF or Class B/C personnel, you have the ability to release at will.

Thanks for telling me what I already knew.
 

winds_13

Member
Reaction score
79
Points
450
Luttrellfan, if you already knew that it is now mandatory for you to get the qual, regardless of your trade or position, why ask the question?

The trades that 404s are "mandatory" for, off the top of my head, are: MSE OP, MED TECH, MP, and FIRE FTR. In these trades, getting 404s is essential to becoming occupationally qualified. That being said, the CAF requires a great many people in other trades to have 404s and various vehicle quals in order to function properly. Your question is like asking if it is mandatory for an infantry soldier to be a sniper... the answer is no, but infantry battalions require trained snipers nonetheless. If your unit requires you to get 404s then gives you driver tasks, consider it part of your job.
 

jaysfan17

Member
Reaction score
1
Points
230
PuckChaser said:
Unless they've changed stuff significantly since I was a driver examiner, you can get 404s for A1/B1 (civvies pattern vehicles) by just completing the tests and showing a full G licence (Ontario). No real good reason to not get them.

Roger, thanks for clearing that up.

winds_13 said:
Luttrellfan, if you already knew that it is now mandatory for you to get the qual, regardless of your trade or position, why ask the question?

The trades that 404s are "mandatory" for, off the top of my head, are: MSE OP, MED TECH, MP, and FIRE FTR. In these trades, getting 404s is essential to becoming occupationally qualified. That being said, the CAF requires a great many people in other trades to have 404s and various vehicle quals in order to function properly. Your question is like asking if it is mandatory for an infantry soldier to be a sniper... the answer is no, but infantry battalions require trained snipers nonetheless. If your unit requires you to get 404s then gives you driver tasks, consider it part of your job.

winds_13, I think there's been some confusion in our discussion. My reply was directed to your initial post which did not help give any extra clarity to the matter.

What I was referring to by "what I already knew" was that I know it's technically a lawful order, which I did recognized in my original post. All I was saying is that I was given contradictory info in the past as well as the other night as to whether 404's are mandatory. I was just casting a net to see if there was some sort of policy that I missed, that's all.

I did not know they were mandatory hence, the original question.
 

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
3,164
Points
1,060
Considering what the miltary is offering to teach you is likley worth about $2,000 on civy street and pay you to be there, it's actually a sweet deal. I wish my daughter was interested in the Reserves.
 
Top