• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do you remember ?

GunnerGleadall

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi:

Does anyone remember the following soldiers from the 3rd RCHA, "G" Battery, CFB Fort Osborne Barracks, Winnipeg, Manitoba, during the years of 1967 to 1970?:

MWO Denny Larkin, "G" Battery
MWO Tommy Larkin, "J" Battery
Sargent Mullins, "G" Battery
Bdr. Pat Lavery, "G" Battery
Gunner Brian Leggett, "J" Battery
Gunner Geroge Livingston, "G" Battery
Gunner Bruce Penny, "J" Battery
Gunner Baker, "G" Battery
Gunner McQuarter, "J" Battery
Gunner M. T. W. Smith, "J" Battery
Gunner McCloud, "G" Battery
Gunner Hill, "G" Battery
Sargent Bishop, Mess cook

Depot training in CFB Shilo, Troops 159-162 during the period of fall 1967:

Drill Sargent Robinson
Bdr. Hudson
Any of the soldiers from the above troops

It would be great to be in touch with these ones after so many years.  Thanks for your time.

Gunner Robert F. J. Gleadall

I was not in 3 RCHA at the time, but I knew the Larkin brothers. Denny was an AIG on my officer training course in 1961 and he later was a TSM in 1 RCHA. I met Tommy when he was a TSM in 2 RCHA in Germany circa 1965.

Denny had been a member of a FOO party with the Black Watch at Verriere Ridge when the battalion lost all but 15 or so all ranks from its rifle companies. He later volunteered for airborne service and jumped across the Rhine on Operation Varsity as a member of 2 Forward Observation Unit (a joint British/Canadian gunner unit) in 6 Airborne Division. After the war he was posted to the airborne school and eventually returned to regimental duty.

Hi:

Thanks for responding to my note.  Those facts that you brought up were very interesting. I did not know that history about either one of them. 

When I was a part of "G" Battery, Denny was our BSM and I think that I can speak from many in our battery, when I say  even though he appeared to be hard on the outside, he was always fair with the men and also projected himself as a soldiers, soldier.  To many, he has a true fighter that never backed down.

In 1969, I remember when he retired and tried his hand at selling insurance.  At that time I was newly married when he tried selling a policy to me.  He was a good soldier and I just hated seeing him being wasted on that type of job.

Anyway, thanks for your interest information

GunnerGleadall

Back