• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Domestic Terrorism/Public Attacks on CAF Personnel

DAA said:
:goodpost:

4900 Yonge houses more than just the Recruiting Centre.  It's a pretty big building and open to the public.

Bingo, if he cut someone else, this would have been an incident.  The two were in uniform, and we have people up in arms and ready to hit Daesh with everything we got!

What happened to respecting on going investigations and speculation?

To protect this site, the DS and mentors have always agreed with the rule of law
and a presumption of innocence. Yes, there are examples when initial indications
clearly lead many to think guilt and our perceptions were proven wrong.

This individual was sent to hospital. That is a fact that is reported in public.
Nothing reports to how or why he is there. It may be due to injury, mental or observation.
We do NOT know. It is not reported. I ask, why are we spending 4 pages speculating when
if this was another case the DS would be all over it? Consider this before chiming in.

I'm glad our brothers are recovering and able to return to their loved ones.

I rarely sign off as a mentor.

kratz
-mentor-

kratz said:
What happened to respecting on going investigations and speculation?

To protect this site, the DS and mentors have always agreed with the rule of law
and a presumption of innocence. Yes, there are examples when initial indications
clearly lead many to think guilt and our perceptions were proven wrong.

This individual was sent to hospital. That is a fact that is reported in public.
Nothing reports to how or why he is there. It may be due to injury, mental or observation.
We do NOT know. It is not reported. I ask, why are we spending 4 pages speculating when
if this was another case the DS would be all over it? Consider this before chiming in.

I'm glad our brothers are recovering and able to return to their loved ones.

I rarely sign off as a mentor.

kratz
-mentor-
all good points we should heed

OK, folks, since this is heating up a bit quicker than expected, how about a briefish pause to let people take a breath, let the investigators do their job, and let the media catch up with what they deem fit to share.

Back at 'er, in a bit ...

Milnet.ca Staff

Just to add:

I think the stabber was mentally ill, highly impulsive and prone to suggestion, that is to say he might have got this idea in his head because he "heard a voice" that told him to do this.

As far as I know, most suicide bombers are those of limited mental capacity and if I may say so "the elevator doesn't go to the top floor".

Just my opinion.

It's an incident - fact, not opinion.  It was a targeted attack - in the same vein as what happened in St Jean and the National War Memorial - or were those non-incidents?  It just so happens that this nut-case decided a knife was his weapon of choice, vice a vehicle or a crappy lever-action rifle.

Stabbings do happen all the time - acts of emotion, theft, etc --- rarely do they involve the perp invoking Allah's name and the associative violence associated with it - random violence on prominent targets is Terrorism - whether you like it or not.  My comments are not based on some misguided superiority on being from the Big Smoke either - I don't really think where you are from allows to you form an opinion that is more valid than those from small town Canada.  I'm from that 6 million person cess pool myself - I just decided that growing up involved leaving home and getting out and about and seeing the rest of the country.

I'm sure the CO of that CFRC is or has filled out a significant incident report.

It's an incident.  Sure.  How significant that is is another matter but consider this.

Canadian Forces personel have been attacked and killed simply because they were in a known location for CAF members and for simply being in uniform in the last 18 months or so in three different parts of the country.  It really does not matter if it was a knife, a car or a rifle.  The act is symbolic whether one wants to accept that or not.

An insignificant act does not attract national attention.  This one has because there are legitimate concerns.  And while I agree this may be isolated, we've now had three isolated incidents in a short time period.  People are talking about it so yeah, while John is making it seem like Toronto is awash in knife fights and is no big deal, context makes this an issue.

On the flip side there is no shortage of people hoping and likely praying this is more than what it might be.  Facebook is awash with people assuming this was teh act of syrian refugee just chomping at the bit to get at Trudeau to justify their irrational fears and anger.

The good thing at least, this time is that the perp is alive and we might actually get some insight into his motivations.

We'll keep 'er locked for juuuuuuuuuust a bit longer, but here's some updates:
According to the Sun article, the accused is back in court Friday, when his lawyer says he might seek bail - remember, seeking =/= chance of getting.

Edited to add statement from the Chief of Defence Staff ...
“As we remain steadfast in our commitment to defending Canadians and Canadian interests, we remain undeterred by yesterday’s attack at the Canadian Armed Forces Recruiting Centre in Toronto.

“I would like to express my sincerest gratitude to our members who bravely detained the attacker, effectively neutralizing the threat from further harming CFRC Toronto staff and applicants.  Their courage in the face of adversity is to be commended. It is a demonstration of the training they receive and their devotion to Canada.  We request their privacy be respected at this time.

“While investigative authorities continue their work in this very important matter, the Canadian Armed Forces will continue to adapt Force Protection measures to ensure the ongoing safety of our personnel across Canada.  Their safety and well-being is, as always, our primary concern.

“As usual, we will not discuss the specifics of these measures.  However, under current circumstances, our men and women will continue to proudly wear their uniforms in public.

“We would like to re-iterate our utmost appreciation to enforcement agencies for their swift action in ensuring prompt resolution to the matter and thank them for helping to ensure our members can continue to feel safe on Canadian soil.”
... and the Minister of Defence, via Twitter:
Our @CanadianForces members continually show their bravery, at home and abroad. Yesterday is proof of that.

OK, let's see if we can keep this civil, and reasonably fact-ish, shall we?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Milnet.ca Staff

A few more tidbits:
  • "Imams call attack on Canadian Forces 'disturbing' " -- The head of a council of Canadian imams has condemned an attack on soldiers at a recruitment centre in Toronto.  Dr. Mohammad Iqbal Al-Nadvi called the violence, which saw two soldiers injured and a third threatened, “disturbing.” ... “It was shocking for us,” Al-Nadvi, of the Canadian Council of Imams, said. “He put the responsibility on religious reasons. It’s a disturbing notion.”  Al-Nadvi said the council found the attack particularly upsetting because it has connections to, and supports, the Canadian Forces. Three Muslim chaplains are part of an interfaith community network that works with the Forces.  “When we go there, we see how we can make the Forces a good and friendly environment for Muslims,” he said.  Al-Nadvi said Muslims share the concerns of their fellow Canadians about the security of their country.  “We are not living in isolation,” he said. “We are part of the national fabric. It’s also important we make our point very clearly ... (Toronto Sun)
  • "The National Council of Canadian Muslims (NCCM), a prominent civil liberties and advocacy organization, condemns (Monday's) attack on two members of the Canadian Forces in Toronto ..." (NCCM info-machine news release)
Still no word on the court appearance today My mistake:  he's back in court tomorrow (Friday) ...

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2016/03/16/changes-seen-in-ayanle-hassan-ali.html

‘Dramatic’ changes seen in alleged military attacker Ayanle Hassan Ali

Ali is said to have taken his mother Maryam’s diagnosis of mental illness in 2001 particularly hard. His mother was a big part of his life, said a source.

The Canadian Press

The lawyer for a man charged with stabbing and wounding two soldiers at a Toronto military recruitment centre says his client seems 'very scared' and 'very unhappy.' Ayanle Hassan Ali made a brief court appearance on Tuesday.

By: Torstar News Service Published on Wed Mar 16 2016

Ayanle Hassan Ali was a “very charismatic, very caring person,” but in 2011 a relative began to notice “dramatic” changes.

“He wasn’t as social, wasn’t as charismatic,” said his mother’s cousin, Mariam Adam, whom Ali called “Auntie.”

“He started to talk about crazy conspiracies, talking about the working class, the rich, the Illuminati, atheists, Jesus.”

Adam, who now lives in the United States, told Torstar News Service that Ali had been staying with her in Edmonton, after having put his engineering studies at the University of Calgary on hold.

Not long after she noticed the changes in his behaviour, Adam said Ali’s mother asked that he come back to stay with her in Toronto. She hasn’t been able to speak to him since.

Born in 1988 in Montreal to Somali immigrant parents, Ali is the only boy in a family of four, Adam said, which includes an older sister who went to Oxford University and now works as an optometrist in London.

The family moved to Toronto when Ali was two years old, and Adam said he graduated high school here.

“He was very smart for his age, kind of like an old soul,” she said. “We’d watch cartoons and he’d want to watch the Discovery Channel.”

She said Ali took his mother Maryam’s diagnosis of mental illness in 2001 particularly hard. His mother was a big part of Ali’s life, she said, taking him to soccer practice and encouraging him in school.

About a year after the diagnosis, Adam said Ali’s father left the family.

“I don’t blame him, though,” she said, adding that life had become very difficult and Maryam had wanted him out of the house.

Mental illness is a taboo in practically any culture, but Abdifatah Warsame, a Somali community leader, said it can be especially tough in the Somali community, where some see the mentally ill as being possessed.

He said he once ran into Maryam at a Rexdale burger restaurant where she pushed him and told him to duck, mentioning shots fired and the KGB.

“That shows that mental illness is a taboo,” he said. “We stigmatize the person. But we’re learning. Because it’s wrong.”

After graduating with honours in high school, Ali took some time off before applying and being accepted at the University of Calgary, Adam said. But he left in his third year, saying he wanted to work to help take care of his family, so he moved in with her in Edmonton.

He took a security course, but worked just one day on an oilpatch in Alberta because he didn’t like it, Adam said. It was while she was staying at home for a few months that she began to notice the changes in him.

“I started to think: Is he starting to become like his mother?”

Adam came for a visit last year, but she said Maryam, who lived in an apartment with Ali and his youngest sister, would only talk to her through the door, and she wasn’t able to speak to Ali.

Adam said she wishes Ali had received the treatment she feels he desperately needs.

“He was never taken to a psychiatrist, never evaluated,” she claims. “No one took it upon themselves to help him.”

The latest:
Ayanle Hassan Ali, the man charged with attempted murder after an attack at a North York military recruitment centre, made a brief appearance in court on Friday.

Ali, 27, is accused of walking into the building at Yonge and Sheppard streets and stabbing and wounding two uniformed soldiers on Monday afternoon.

Neither soldier has life-threatening wounds. A third person was injured during Ali’s arrest.

Ali’s hearing lasted less than a minute and he was instructed to return to court on March 24. He will remain in police custody until that time.

His lawyer said the time is needed to gather more information about his bail application ...

Back in court yesterday, returning to court (for now) 2 May ...
A man facing attempted murder charges for allegedly stabbing two soldiers at a Canadian Forces recruitment centre has been ordered to undergo a mental heath assessment.

Ayanle Hassan Ali’s fitness to stand trial will be assessed over a 30-day period at a hospital in Hamilton, according to the order made Wednesday by Ontario Court Justice Fergus ODonnell.

As the assessment was discussed in court, Ali, 27, remained still and impassive with his eyes fixed on the floor. A relative who attended the court appearance with several family members and would not give her name said he is “doing fine.”

A fitness assessment examines whether an accused person is capable of understanding what happens in court, the nature of the charges they face, the potential consequences of the charges and whether they are able to meaningfully communicate with and give instructions to their lawyer.

When an assessment is ordered, a psychiatrist observes and interviews the accused over a set period of time and then offers an opinion to the court. A fitness hearing may be held, and the court may order an accused to undergo treatment. If an accused is found unfit to stand trial, the case may be transferred to the Ontario Review Board.

Ali faces nine charges: three counts of attempted murder, two counts of aggravated assault, three counts of assault with a weapon and one count for possessing a weapon (for a dangerous purpose) ...

The "T" word appears - this, from the RCMP ...
Yesterday, as part of a national security criminal investigation following the knife attack at a Canadian Forces recruitment centre on March 14, 2016, the RCMP Integrated National Security Enforcement Team (INSET) in Ontario charged Ayanle Hassan Ali, 27, with a terrorism-related offence.

Ali is charged under section 83.2 of the Criminal Code with three counts of attempted murder, two counts of committing assault causing bodily harm, three counts of committing assault using a weapon, and one count of carrying a weapon dangerous to the public, for the benefit of a terrorist group.

These are in addition to charges laid by the Toronto Police Service on March 15, 2016.

“Terrorism-related charges require a significant investigation, which can be time-consuming,” said Assistant Commissioner Jennifer Strachan, Commanding Officer of RCMP “O” Division. “I would like to highlight the efforts of our INSET here in Ontario which worked diligently to obtain the evidence required for these charges.”

The RCMP-led INSETs are multi-agency teams responsible for investigating all criminal threats related to national security in Canada. They are made up of specially trained members of the RCMP and provincial and municipal law enforcement agencies, and national security partners at the federal, provincial and municipal levels.

“As part of INSET, the Toronto Police Service contributes to investigating criminal threats related to national security. We recognize the tremendous value of law enforcement, working in close collaboration, to protecting the safety of all Canadians,” said Toronto Police Service Chief Mark Saunders ...
And here's what CCC s83.2 says ...
... Every one who commits an indictable offence under this or any other Act of Parliament for the benefit of, at the direction of or in association with a terrorist group is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for life ...

Holy mackeral with the new developments!  (Thanks mariomike for sharing this one with me)
The man accused of walking into a military recruitment centre and stabbing soldiers at the behest of Allah is facing nine new terrorism charges, but he was declared unfit to stand trial in court on Tuesday.

Ayanle Hassan Ali is already facing nine counts laid by Toronto police at the time of his arrest in March, but the RCMP said the terrorism offences are all in addition to those original charges.

The new ones include three counts of attempted murder, two counts of assault causing bodily harm , three counts of assault using a weapon and one count of carrying a weapon dangerous to the public, all for the benefit of a terrorism organization.

Ali’s lawyer could not immediately be reached for comment, and Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale declined to say whether any particular terrorist organization is implicated in the case.

“I wouldn’t comment on the process. That will all come out in the course of the prosecution of the case,” Goodale said. “It’s now in the hands of the justice officials and they will undoubtedly do a proper job.” ...

Some editorial content ...
Only in Canada could a man accused of attacking our soldiers with a knife while yelling “ “Allah made me do this” be charged with terrorism in the morning and deemed unfit for trial by lunchtime ...

This from The Canadian Press, via CBC.ca:
A man accused of stabbing soldiers at a Toronto military recruitment centre in March has been found fit to stand trial.

Ayanle Hassan Ali, a 27-year-old born in Montreal, allegedly stabbed several soldiers inside the recruitment centre, sending two to hospital. Nobody was killed in the attack.

In May, he was found unfit to stand trial just hours after the RCMP laid terrorism charges in the case. That ruling was handed down following a two-month psychiatric assessment.

Judge Riun Shandler of the Ontario Court of Justice ordered Ali to undergo 60 days of treatment in a bid to improve his condition and leave him able to stand trial.

On Friday, in a Toronto courtroom, Ali was declared fit based on another psychiatric evaluation.

Ali, wearing a loose dark grey t-shirt, hung his head throughout the proceedings and did not speak. A pre-trial hearing is scheduled for Sept. 8.

He's facing a raft of charges.

The RCMP charged him with three counts of attempted murder, two counts of assault causing bodily harm, three counts of assault using a weapon and one count of carrying a weapon dangerous to the public, all for the benefit of a terrorist organization ...

Back