• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Domestic Terrorism/Public Attacks on CAF Personnel

I am working close to downtown Ottawa. Our airport is restricting visitors for local flights.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/soldier-shot-at-war-memorial-in-ottawa

The soldier killed was an Argyll. I knew I recognized the tartan. Rest easy Brother.

George Wallace said:
The whole downtown core is on Lock Down.  This affects the Toronto Maple Leafs who are in town to play tonight, who are in Lock Down in their downtown hotel.  This will in all likelihood mean they will not play tonight. 

All the people in the Lock Downed offices will face traffic and bus transportation chaos when they are finally allowed to leave.

The game is officially postponed (NHL website)
My condolences to the family and loved ones. RIP soldier.

Conz said:
I just received word that something involving a terrorist act is happening right now at the Vancouver Hospital. No official reports yet, but I have been told that the hospital is being cleared out and locked down.

Source?  Details?

CBC is already chomping at the bit:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/canadian-soldier-shot-in-ottawa-a-reservist-from-hamilton-1.2808960

Privateer said:
Source?  Details?

Source: CAF mbr who resides in the area.
Details: I am awaiting further reports/news coverage. I will post updates when I receive them.

George Wallace said:
The whole downtown core is on Lock Down.  This affects the Toronto Maple Leafs who are in town to play tonight, who are in Lock Down in their downtown hotel.  This will in all likelihood mean they will not play tonight. 

All the people in the Lock Downed offices will face traffic and bus transportation chaos when they are finally allowed to leave.

Who cares about hockey or gridlock at a time like this? That's why we're in this mess. No one wants to take any responsibility and just wants to be left alone to their individual pleasures. Maybe while they're missing their hockey game or stuck in traffic for two hours, it'll give them time to reflect on how they themselves let this happen and how naïve they were to listen to the left leaning apologists.

recceguy said:
Who cares about hockey or gridlock at a time like this? That's why we're in this mess. No one wants to take any responsibility and just wants to be left alone to their individual pleasures. Maybe while they're missing their hockey game or stuck in traffic for two hours, it'll give them time to reflect on how they themselves let this happen and how naïve they were to listen to the left leaning apologists.

The game has been cancelled.  It is important because it will keep the 20 000 or so people off the road in what is still an active situation.  But I get what you are saying.

Crantor said:
The game has been cancelled.  It is important because it will keep the 20 000 or so people off the road in what is still an active situation.  But I get what you are saying.

My thoughts exactly.  Disseminating that news is part of a public safety response, at this point.

recceguy said:

Sorry; but I do, as my wife is in Lock Down in the center of all this. 

recceguy said:
Who cares about hockey or gridlock at a time like this? That's why we're in this mess. No one wants to take any responsibility and just wants to be left alone to their individual pleasures.

I disagree - we are not in this mess because of individual pleasures, we're in this mess because we as a society have neglected to ensure that people we're letting into the country share the same as those already living here.  Like the UK, once an extremist is here, his/her human rights are protected which means that our own laws enacted for our protection are actually being used against us.

I'm not against immigration, I'm actually an immigrant myself - I am, however, against immigrants coming here and attempting to impose their views on the rest of us.

Ex-Pat FlagWagger said:
I disagree - we are not in this mess because of individual pleasures, we're in this mess because we as a society have neglected to ensure that people we're letting into the country share the same as those already living here.  Like the UK, once an extremist is here, his/her human rights are protected which means that our own laws enacted for our protection are actually being used against us.

I'm not against immigration, I'm actually an immigrant myself - I am, however, against immigrants coming here and attempting to impose their views on the rest of us.

No need to disagree. Bad rules are put in place by governments, because the people are too wrapped up in themselves to pay attention to what politicians are doing. I'm just going to the lowest denominator.

We 'the society' are made up of those said individuals, who outnumber the rest of us that do care.

Ex-Pat FlagWagger said:

Assuming, of course, an immigrant/immigrants did all this.

Meanwhile, a bit of info from Ottawa police:
The Ottawa Police Service and Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) responded to reports of shooting incidents this morning in the downtown area. Police can now confirm that incidents occurred at the National War Memorial and on Parliament Hill.

Contrary to earlier reports no incident occurred near the Rideau Centre.

One shooting victim succumbed to injuries. He was a member of the Canadian Forces.  Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his loved ones.

Next of kin notification is underway and as such, the victim’s identification will not be released.

One male suspect has also been confirmed deceased. There is no further update on injuries at this time.

This is an ongoing joint police operation and there is no one in custody at this time.

Ottawa residents are asked to stay away from the downtown area while the investigation continues.  If you work in one of the downtown buildings, follow the instructions from the building management you are in.

A number of RCMP and Federal government buildings are also closed to the public; as is Ottawa City Hall and all Ottawa Police stations.

The Ottawa Police Service wants to speak to witnesses of today’s shooting incidents.  Witnesses are to call Ottawa Police at 613-236-1222, ext 5493.

Those with tips regarding the shooting incidents, or those looking to report suspicious activity, can call 613-236-1222 or call 9-1-1.

Anonymous tips can be submitted by calling Crime Stoppers at 613-233-8477(TIPS), toll free at 1-800-222-8477 or by downloading the Ottawa Police iOS app ....
A news conference is also under way.

recceguy said:
No need to disagree. Bad rules are put in place by governments, because the people are too wrapped up in themselves to pay attention to what politicians are doing. I'm just going to the lowest denominator.

A disengaged electorate allowing a government free rein is the real cause, and I agree with you on this; accusing the electorate of being wrapped up in individual pleasures as the reason behind this disengagement is subjective - perhaps the partisan nature of politics is why the electorate is disengaged. The problem is disengagement, not personal pleasures.

GR66 said:
These individuals may not even be immigrants.

milnews.ca said:
Assuming, of course, an immigrant/immigrants did all this.

Agreed - I was generalising and may well be incorrect. However the indigenous religion within Canada is not known for preaching extreme violence - the ideas are being imported from somewhere by someone.

Ex-Pat FlagWagger said:
A disengaged electorate allowing a government free rein is the real cause, and I agree with you on this; accusing the electorate of being wrapped up in individual pleasures as the reason behind this disengagement is subjective - perhaps the partisan nature of politics is why the electorate is disengaged. The problem is disengagement, not personal pleasures.

You win. I'm not going to get into a discussion on what terms to use for someone's reason for not caring.

I agree about immigrants but I just want to remind everyone that the guy in St-Jean-Richelieu was a Canadian not an immigrant ...

Back