• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Domestic Terrorism/Public Attacks on CAF Personnel

Once again, Rex Murphy puts into words what Canada is thinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N89BAADF1bE

Merged both the Montreal and Ottawa incidents as the underlying issues and the aftermath are the same.

Brucex23%20RGB_12.jpg

Reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright from the Chronicle Herald

That is a poignant and appropriate editoral cartoon.  I have never seen one more appropriate than that.

RIP Highlander  :cdn:

I something going on in Halifax?

This, two minutes ago, from Twitter:

B0oSgftCMAAvE62.jpg:large

Caption, quoted without correcting the capitalization, is: "Police with guns drawn at scotia bank center halifax"

E.R. Campbell said:
I something going on in Halifax?

This, two minutes ago, from Twitter:

B0oSgftCMAAvE62.jpg:large

Caption, quoted without correcting the capitalization, is: "Police with guns drawn at scotia bank center halifax"

https://twitter.com/HfxRegPolice

Reports of a man with a gun in the area of Brunswick and Duke Streets

This is looking like organized small scale terrorist attacks. A man attacks 2 soldiers in Saint Jean Sur Richelieu killing one injuring the other, not to long after a man attacks and kills a soldier in Ottawa then enters the parliament buildings probably in an  attempt to go after our leaders, and now there's reports of an armed man near Brunswick and Duke streets in Halifax. This can't just be random attacks they're happening to soon after ISIS threatened Canada and are happening to soon after each other. I'm worried if we will be mourning more loss's today and even more worried about what tomorrow will bring.

Offstar1029 said:
This is looking like organized small scale terrorist attacks. A man attacks 2 soldiers in Saint Jean Sur Richelieu killing one injuring the other, not to long after a man attacks and kills a soldier in Ottawa then enters the parliament buildings probably in an  attempt to go after our leaders, and now there's reports of an armed man near Brunswick and Duke streets in Halifax. This can't just be random attacks they're happening to soon after ISIS threatened Canada and are happening to soon after each other. I'm worried if we will be mourning more loss's today and even more worried about what tomorrow will bring.

I feel that it was a couple of unhinged individuals who are lashing out at society. The first may have been spurred on by the announcement, and the other may have been on the edge and the first incident helped push them over. I'm sure any known remainders are well watched at this point and will be picked up should they make any aggressive moves.

Offstar1029 said:

Or it might just well be the work of a deranged individual susceptible to influence from the messaging being sent out by ISIS/ISIL et al and his actions inspired another lone wolf whacko to do the same.  ISIS knows it is very hard to do anything coordinated these days and hopes that what has happened happens a lot more. 

As far as the Halifax thing it may just be a reaction given the events this week.  People are on edge.  I suspect that for the next few weeks any gun related issue is going to be scrutinised and looked at with "terrorism" being a possibility.

Fact is, we don't have all the info just yet. 

And this morning on the day after:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-shooting-man-arrested-near-war-memorial-as-stephen-harper-lays-wreath-1.2810121

I think everyone should take a deep breath and relax.

After the events of the last few days, and with the police asking citizen to report anything suspicious, a lot of skittish people will report all sorts of things for the next few weeks.

If I look at the picture that was released, the Police seems to be near the Metro Center. This could just as easily have been a sighting of someone carrying a couple of hockey sticks in one of those new fangled bags they make for sticks nowadays. Are the Moossehead practicing today?

Anyway, just relax people.

Whoah. I thought this was going to turn out to be someone getting silly and twitchy. Well done by Hfx Police.

Crantor said:
I suspect that for the next few weeks any gun related issue is going to be scrutinised and looked at with "terrorism" being a possibility.

Are we going to do the same with all car-related issues ?

soccerplayer131 said:
HRP: "We can confirm that we have arrested a man on Argyle St. at 11:08am and recovered a firearm on a metro transit bus nearby. Invest. continues."

Article Link

Police make arrest in a weapons complaint

Police Media Releases - Thursday, Oct 23, 2014 at 11:46am

Halifax Regional Police has one person in custody in relation to a weapon complaint in downtown Halifax.

At 11 a.m., several patrol units, including members of the Emergency Response Team, responded to a report of a man who had left a firearm on a Halifax Transit bus. The man left on foot walking southbound on Albermarle Street in Halifax. He was quickly apprehended at 11:08 a.m. near Argyle Street and Carmichael Street without incident and remains in custody. The firearm was recovered from the bus.

This matter remains under investigation and it is unclear at this point if this and the previous incident are related.

We thank citizens for their continued cooperation.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Ref the map below, as SoccerPlayer131 mentioned this is area is pretty close to the HMC Dockyard area.  It is also very, very close to the Grand Parade (outlined in orange). 

Jungle said:
Are we going to do the same with all car-related issues ?

If the car is used in a hit and run I suspect we may well see that.

The point is that the country is a bit on edge.  People will jump to conclusions and will try to somehow relate anything no matter how remote to the incidents that happened this week.

That being said, no one can be blamed for doing so when we tell them, to be vigilant.

Let's try to refrain from minimizing the actions of perpetrators, by referring to them with blanket vague statements as crazy/un-hinged etc.  People can still have mental health issues, and still have the ability to form rational, logical thoughts.  While murdering soldiers in Canada in broad daylight, may make people leap to the conclusion well they must have been nuts, belies the facts that at least on the surface there was some planning in their attacks, and planning only comes from (somewhat) coherent and rational minds.  Just because we can't or won't ever understand what rationale they used doesn't necessarily make them "crazy" or "unhinged".

Hatchet Man said:
Let's try to refrain from minimizing the actions of perpetrators, by referring to them with blanket vague statements as crazy/un-hinged etc.  People can still have mental health issues, and still have the ability to form rational, logical thoughts.  While murdering soldiers in Canada in broad daylight, may make people leap to the conclusion well they must have been nuts, belies the facts that at least on the surface there was some planning in their attacks, and planning only comes from (somewhat) coherent and rational minds.  Just because we can't or won't ever understand what rationale they used doesn't necessarily make them "crazy" or "unhinged".

Well, it wasn't an attempt to minimise any of their actions.  Be they lone wolf inspired planners, ISIS/ISIL, Boco Haram etc etc, I still think they are all a little "un-hinged and crazy".  And by a little, i mean a lot.  And while their minds might be coherant in the sense that they can plan whatever, they are certainly not rational by any stretch or definition as we know it here in this society.

I don't think that we have to be all PC when it comes to these types.

Back