• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dominican Republic Vacation

Biohazardxj

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all.  I'm looking at going to the DR next spring for a week to 10 days.  I have been checking out all the resort websites and travel sites such as Tripadvisor, expedia, etc.  I am look for an all inclusive place, around 2 to 3 grand for the week.  I was just curious if any of you have been to the DR recently and could recommend any of the resorts that you think were good deals.  Thanks in advance.

If you're flexible, there are some great last minute deals on all inclusives.  If you're targeting a specific date or specific location, though, savings are less.

I was last down there about a decade ago, though, so my advice would be dated.

I took the family to Dreams Punta Cana four years ago.  We went in the fall (i.e. about this time), which is a) off-season, and b) hurricane season (no worries though - weather was great the whole time).  The result of these two factors was a lower overall cost and a much less crowded resort.  Another consideration is that the resorts on the Atlantic side (i.e.  Punta Cana) tend to be cheaper overall because the water is colder and not as interesting (i.e. snorkeling is more colourful - better coral and more colourful fish) on the Caribbean side.  However, if you just want to hang out around the pool and drink, I don't think it matters what side of the island you're on.

My only real complaint about Dreams was that the food was alright, but not spectacular.  However, there was plenty of it and once you pick up your first drink , you seem to care about that less and less.

My wife and I went to Punta Cana for our honeymoon and loved it. We found that the best food on the resort was the local fare; rice and beans, rabbit, yuca, and plantains. Avoid the 'nation x' nights i.e. French Night or Mexican Night. My wife still rants about the burrito they served her which was more like a hamburger filled egg roll.

A friend and I went to Occidental Grand Punta Cana last spring; it was clean & comfortable but nothing fancy.  We'd been there before so knew what to expect.  The beach at Punta Cana can't be beat.  For the various resorts, it's a good idea to check TripAdvisor, as you said. 

A couple of general provisos about resorts in PC, & elsewhere:

-when you ask for a room with two beds, this often means one proper queen-sized bed and one twin-sized lumpy folding cot that they bring to the room hours after you check in.  So, if you're going with a friend and don't want to share a bed, check into this ahead of time.

-on the last day of our most recent trip, approx. 2000 university students from Ontario arrived on their spring break, which is fine - but pretty soon some of them were urinating and vomiting all over the grounds and in the common areas of the buildings.  Could be the free booze had something to do with it!  But if that's not something you want to see, it might be worthwhile spending the money for a 5+ star place (if only to lessen the odds), or checking the university & college spring break dates to make sure you're out of the resort beforehand.  Alternatively - be there at the same time and join the "party".  ;D

Bon voyage! 

Been to the DR about six times so far. Where to go depends on what you're looking for.

The three main tourist/resort areas are Puerto Plata to the north including the funky town of Sosua, Punta Cana on the East coast and Juan Dolio/Boca Chica two beach towns east of the capitol Santo Domingo. Each has it's advantages. There are also a couple of resorts near Samana on the north coast but they're really isolated and the main attraction is whale watching

mapa_turistico.jpg

Punta Cana is the newest resort zone and probably has the nicest largest resorts with a great beach and all the amenities etc That said it's isolated so if you want more than lazing on the beach and considering the all inclusive bar a personal challenge then give it a miss.

The amber coast has a slew of resorts near Puerto Plata, many all inclusive and built around golf courses. Most are about 15-30 min cab ride into Puerto Plata which aside from some touristy craft markets and a small fort is just a seedy seaport. Some really good run down bars near the harbor, I recommend body armour. Day trips to Santiago to see a cigar factory, jungle tours or for the really adventurous Haiti are usually available from here.

Sousa just east is a tiny funky town with several budget hotels and one or two resorts I've stayed at Casa Marina twice, ok  all inclusive, ok beach and one literally walks out the front door and you're downtown.  The town is full of expats, bars, pick pockets, discos, and other attractions to separate you from your money. East of this is Cabarete with some of the best windsurfing in the region.

San Juan and Boca Chic are older beach resort towns with older and perhaps less impressive hotels and resorts. Main attraction here is easy access to the Capitol. The old part of Santo Domingo is well worth a trip for the history alone. Plenty of shopping, bars, restaurants etc here too. Also a whole street of quickie divorce lawyer offices.

One tip don't go during Easter week. Half the country is on holiday and the rest of the resort staff call in sick. The only one's working are the Haitian refugees and expats who run bars. The resort areas especially Puerto Plata and Sosua are also overrun with the upper class Dominicans from Santo Domingo. For the most part they're drunk, rude and get pissed when they're told thay can't carry they're pistolas in their speedos at the pool. Contrary to this average Dominican is polite and friendly even when they're mugging or conning you.

Another tip, the local beer Presidente is great.  8)

Plenty of good info and resort reviews here http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/

Danjanou said:
Contrary to this average Dominican is polite and friendly even when they're mugging or conning you.

;D  Yes, exactly.  Get used to politely saying "No, gracias" every 30 seconds or so.

bridges said:
;D  Yes, exactly.  Get used to politely saying "No, gracias" every 30 seconds or so.

I just take the "no moleste por favour" sign from the room and wear it around my neck on a cord. Just make sure you don't have the other side facing out.  8)

Thanks for the advise.  I was in Haiti back in 96 and spent my 72hr leave in Santo Domingo.  Got good and drunk and spent all my money on mostly in the shops.  I will probably go to Punta Cana, just need to nail down the spring break dates so I avoid that. 

I stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe in San Juan... awesome spot to sit back and relax. Really enjoyed it. Only thing, the beach was kinda "meh". On the Northern side of the island and had HUGE sandbags in the water... which I awesome was to keep stuff out. It created a very sandy/dirty water. Not what I really wanted.

Only issue I had with the place. Food, service and rum all excellent!  ;D

Danjanou said:
I just take the "no moleste por favour" sign from the room and wear it around my neck on a cord. Just make sure you don't have the other side facing out.  8)

Heh  ;D

@ SGT_RMSCLK, you will not be disappointed with the beach at PC, no matter which resort you go to.  It's fabulous.  Clean, white sand, gentle surf, no underwater rocks to stub your toe on, no stinging jellyfish (unlike Varadero).  Enjoy!    :cheers:   

Back