• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Done DP2A, now what?

portcullisguy

Inactive
Reaction score
I am a reserve NCM (infantry) and I completed DP2A a year ago.  I didn't do any courses last summer.  I'm not slated for any this summer. But now that I've recently found myself single (and thus, have no reason to stick around the house all summer), I am wondering:  WHAT'S NEXT FOR MY MILITARY CAREER?

There are a few options available, and I am wondering what would be best for my career if I intend to stay in for a long while and possibly CFR and/or component transfer in a few years?

- Recce course?  Apparently these are still offered occasionally, and I would still have to do a comms course, I am told.  The reason why I was turned off them before is because I'm an old bugger (30), and also the course was rather long if I recall, like 5 or 6 weeks, which would have been a long time away from the girlfriend .. but I no longer have that impediment (see above).

- DP2B course?  Apparently this is a must-have anyway to become a MCpl, even though it is only a section 2ic course.  And from what I'm told, all the "bad parts" of the PLQ are in the DP2B.  But what the hey.  How long is it?  What's involved?  Is it normally done on weekends or is it a summer-only course?

- Straight to PLQ?  Despite the existence of the DP2B course, apparently guys can still go straight to their leadership course.  Should I hold out for this?  Or do the above ones first?  Or should I be a corporal for the rest of my NCM days.  I plan to commission eventually anyway, and going from MCpl means you go straight to Lt, instead of starting out as an officer cadet and having to do the phase III of the officer course.  Or am I wrong?

Any help/advise/flames appreciated.

portcullisguy said:
I plan to commission eventually anyway, and going from MCpl means you go straight to Lt, instead of starting out as an officer cadet and having to do the phase III of the officer course.  Or am I wrong?
You're wrong.  Master corporals are usually commissioned as 2LT.  If you have PLQ you will probably have CAP written off, and you may have the first block (support weapons) of your infantry platoon commander's course written off, but you will have to do the rest of the course.

I don't know too much about DP2B but I think you are supposed to take PLQ first.

Another option to consider: take a task for the summer.

portcullisguy said:
- DP2B course?   Apparently this is a must-have anyway to become a MCpl, even though it is only a section 2ic course.   And from what I'm told, all the "bad parts" of the PLQ are in the DP2B.   But what the hey.   How long is it?   What's involved?   Is it normally done on weekends or is it a summer-only course?

- Straight to PLQ?   Despite the existence of the DP2B course, apparently guys can still go straight to their leadership course.   Should I hold out for this?   Or do the above ones first?   Or should I be a corporal for the rest of my NCM days.  

Your holding on too rigidly to the Developmental Period (DP) scheme.  PLQ is your next step up in the grand scheme of things.  You do the first five Mods and then go on to Mod 6.  It use to be after that you would do your DP2B after that to be fully qualified MCpl in the infantry.  Now there is no longer a Mod 6 and a DP2B, just a PLQ Mod 6 Infantry which algamated the two and reduced a lot of reduntancy.  It is a must have to be and stay a MCpl, however you can be promoted w/o it as long as you do your course in 1 a year or so.  I can't really see that happening to much in an infantry unit but it rampant in the CSS world on the Reg side of the house.

I plan to commission eventually anyway, and going from MCpl means you go straight to Lt, instead of starting out as an officer cadet and having to do the phase III of the officer course.  Or am I wrong?

I know under UTPNCM a MCpl goes to LT, but not sure about the Res side of the house.  In any case it don't allow you to skip out on to much of the offiicer training anyway.  To skip Phase III you have to be a WO or above IIRC.

A bit of clarification from my perspective.

The prerequisites for DP 2B Inf Sect 2IC are DP 2A and PLQ (Land).  However, it is legacy course that will disappear this fall (it was created to top-up the knowledge a PLQ (L) graduate needs to equal PLQ (inf)).  The only pers that can go on it are those who completed PLQ (L) prior to this year.  All other infanteers must go on the PLQ (Inf) in order to advance.

Therefore, since you mention you don't have PLQ yet, the only way to proceed is with the PLQ (Inf).  Keep in mind Mods 2-5 (of the PLQ(L) - it's all the same) must be completed at your unit first.  If you haven't started the Mods yet, and time is running out, the recce crse may be your only option.

Thanks all for the clarification.  I don't think my unit intended to send me on PLQ anytime before the next training year (Sep 05 at the very earliest).

But now I understand what all the DP2B and PLQ(Inf) business is about.

No, I probably won't do taskings.  The only way I can beat my civvie pay is if I were on Class C at MCpl 3 or higher.  I haven't worked it out in Class B terms, but it would have to be more than Cpl 0, I'm quite sure.  My civvie job pays $1300 biweekly (net), or about $1907 gross.  And that's without overtime, shift premiums and all kinds of other garbage they throw at us to keep us interested in showing up for work.

I've thought about it, and I would even take the pay cut and do a tasking one summer if I got some cool training out of it, or something.  Otherwise, I'll leave the taskings to the lads who really could use them more than me.

Cheers, and thanks again everyone.

Back