• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Don't be a douche" - 15 rules to effectively lead a platoon

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.military1.com/all/article/647-dont-be-a-douche-15-rules-to-effectively-lead-a-platoon

This has been making the FB rounds lately.  I'm of two minds whether this should be in "Training" or "Radio Chatter".  Best response I've seen was "this should be a CANFORGEN".

I've seen it,  has some good advice in it.  IMO this applies to everyone(NCM/NCO, Officer,  and civilian)  not just new Lts.

-Skeletor- said:
I've seen it,  has some good advice in it.  IMO this applies to everyone(NCM/NCO, Officer,  and civilian)  not just new Lts.

Yes, there are so many valid points that can be applied to those in leadership positions outside of the military. Absolutely excellent read!

Sent it to my nephew who is gaining rank in the cadets, might as well introduce them to the concepts early.

"The Platoon is for all purposes, the unit for whose perfection we strive. Because a perfect platoon means a perfect battalion and brigade or division and the efficiency of any army corps is to be measured by that of it's platoons." Major General Sir John Monash

There are some good pointers in here as well (And the best performance I've seen by Daniel Craig, who since playing an infantry platoon sergeant in this film has apparently had to accept roles of less importance recently, such as James Bond):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kxetps8mzs

A lot of great information in that article. Throughout my career I broke it down to 3 basic rules of leadership:

1.  Get the job done;
2.  Take care of the welfare of your men;
3.  Do #1 without sacrificing #2.

Not every situation is the same and flexibility on how you accomplish your goals is important. It doesn't take long for your men to realize that you are there for them and I have been rewarded by accomplishing my/our goals and building great teams.  If you realize that the only way you look good is by the hard work of your men as a team, you will do well.

I am a firm believer of mentoring my leaders, from new Capt's to Sgt's, and they in turn mentor their subordinates.  Lead from the front and don't have your men do anything you wont do yourself... they watch, they talk among themselves, they can figure out if you are a good leader or not, and if you are then you will have their complete support.

A year after I retired, I was in Tim Horton's having a coffee on base after a spending a year in Afghanistan working as a contractor and a few of my old team members came in.  We chatted and they emphatically asked me to come back to rejoin and come back to the unit to straighten things out. I asked them why would they need an old WO back there, they told me that I was Fair and Firm, a great leader that got his hands dirty and had a sense of humor and was able to accomplish just about anything.  The new leadership was lacking to put it mildly.

As much as it was nice to hear that, my time was over and I had passed on the torch. As I flew back to Afghanistan I thought about it and gave me great pleasure that I had done a good job, was a good leader, and was looked up to by my men.

Cheers
Pop

Popurhedoff said:
A lot of great information in that article. Throughout my career I broke it down to 3 basic rules of leadership:

1.  Get the job done;

Mission, men, then myself.

Addendum, sometimes the men are the mission.

Popurhedoff said:

1.  Get the job done;

Not every situation is the same and flexibility on how you accomplish your goals is important. It doesn't take long for your men to realize that you are there for them and I have been rewarded by accomplishing my/our goals and building great teams.  If you realize that the only way you look good is by the hard work of your men as a team, you will do well.

I am a firm believer of mentoring my leaders, from new Capt's to Sgt's, and they in turn mentor their subordinates.  Lead from the front and don't have your men do anything you wont do yourself... they watch, they talk among themselves, they can figure out if you are a good leader or not, and if you are then you will have their complete support.

A year after I retired, I was in Tim Horton's having a coffee on base after a spending a year in Afghanistan working as a contractor and a few of my old team members came in.  We chatted and they emphatically asked me to come back to rejoin and come back to the unit to straighten things out. I asked them why would they need an old WO back there, they told me that I was Fair and Firm, a great leader that got his hands dirty and had a sense of humor and was able to accomplish just about anything.  The new leadership was lacking to put it mildly.

As much as it was nice to hear that, my time was over and I had passed on the torch. As I flew back to Afghanistan I thought about it and gave me great pleasure that I had done a good job, was a good leader, and was looked up to by my men.

Cheers
Pop
Agreed on all accounts.  I too have felt the feeling you're describing after talking to some soldiers and NCO's that I had the supreme pleasure of commanding, and while I'm not perfect and have made more than my fair share, I left the conversations each and every time with the feeling that I had done right by my guys.

In the same vein as "Don't be a douche", a piece intended for US Military Academy cadets (but applicable to anyone really) by 1LT Scott Ginther, US Army:

http://www.warcouncil.org/blog/2014/4/5/korengal-what-i-wish-i-knew-from-cadet-to-lieutenant-in-afghanistan

Back