• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

DP 1.1 IST

It's too bad for a lot of these guys who went IST (and would have been say CST) and are doing 1.1, but are now being told that they might NOT be IST because those positions are filled. Also seen common core guys being put on 1.1 LST and being told there aren't open positions, but if that ever happens then you will be the first to goto DP 2.1 LST if you want it.

That's a lot of expense for courses for people who are not even guaranteed to go into that sub-oc....

m6 said:
I understand that ACISS on the Reserve side of things is, more or less, ACISS Core. However, is the ISS DP1.1 strictly for Reg F  or are there some Reservist positions as well? I'd really like to get on the course but I've got a feeling the answer will be strictly Reg F. The opinions I've been given say that is the case but I haven't heard any official word.

Thanks.

Does anyone have the answer to this question?

Neso said:
Does anyone have the answer to this question?

I've heard that the IST DP1.1 will be available for F Res soon. Still waiting for the details though ...

chopchop said:
I've heard that the IST DP1.1 will be available for F Res soon. Still waiting for the details though ...

Not to sound like an a-hole but... Is there a point in a reserve ACISS-IST?!... I don't know much about the reserve Sigs world but I thought you guys all just did Core type jobs. Except maybe in Ottawa of course.

We have tones of Reg F pers at my unit alone whom are doing -IST jobs everyday and are waiting for training like a man in a desert for a glass of water.

IST Joeschmo said:
Not to sound like an a-hole but... Is there a point in a reserve ACISS-IST?!... I don't know much about the reserve Sigs world but I thought you guys all just did Core type jobs. Except maybe in Ottawa of course.

We have tones of Reg F pers at my unit alone whom are doing -IST jobs everyday and are waiting for training like a man in a desert for a glass of water.
Well, who bought the first three GATR antennas in the CAF?
Who was the first to get an Internet Signal in Res Bay on Ku-band (which was supposed to be impossible)?
G6 35th Brigade (Quebec).
I don't know for other reserve units but in mine I have 5 guys in my "IT" Det who provide "IT" support during weekend exercises while we are in the field. Internet access, DWAN access, voip and stuff like that. We can make RJ-45 connectors too, you know just to be clear.  :blotto:

It's true that for people with decent civilian background in IT the IST 1.1 would be a joke. We don't really need it, the new guys get trained by the ones who came before, but still it would be nice if we did it or at least that we get it accredited on paper.

PS Don't start talking  about the IT helpdesk stuff I have done it and it takes one week at most to understand it all.

chopchop said:
Who was the first to get an Internet Signal in Res Bay on Ku-band (which was supposed to be impossible)?
I don't know for other reserve units but in mine I have 5 guys in my "IT" Det who provide "IT" support during weekend exercises while we are in the field. Internet access, DWAN access, voip and stuff like that. We can make RJ-45 connectors too, you know just to be clear.  :blotto:

It's true that for people with decent civilian background in IT the IST 1.1 would be a joke. We don't really need it, the new guys get trained by the ones who came before, but still it would be nice if we did it or at least that we get it accredited on paper.

PS Don't start talking  about the IT helpdesk stuff I have done it and it takes one week at most to understand it all.

Thanks for that information, chopchop. PM inbound.

chopchop said:

I am quite surprised that there are reservist ACISS doing those jobs and that's fantastic actually. As I stated, I really didn't know if there were any IST positions or types in the reservist world, no need to jump all over me about it. I used to be a reservist also!

And about helpdesk, don't bother going into it. You would have to determine which level / tier or line your talking about like 1, 2 or 3. Tier 1 helpdesk is for the n00b ISTs and is easy to learn and should be. Tier 2 is a larger jump as you should be getting exposed to more than just password resets and printer jams... Tier 3 should be everything tier 2 cannot handle and larger functional issues like services stopping and changes to the infrastructure etc... Most bases don't even operate that way like the civy world so there's not much comparison but I wouldn't say 'everyone can learn a Tier 1 helpdesk job in a week'... Everyone is not switched on enough or even wants to learn IT stuff...

IST Joeschmo said:
I am quite surprised that there are reservist ACISS doing those jobs and that's fantastic actually. As I stated, I really didn't know if there were any IST positions or types in the reservist world, no need to jump all over me about it. I used to be a reservist also!

There always have been IT tasks; it was just lumped into "sig op"- without reserve LCIS, there really wasn't an alternative. I'm out of the loop as to how those short term taskings have been working out since MES, but they exist, and there are relevant tasks at the unit level (at least at some units) to justify some IST's. Since there has yet to be any formal trades training for reserve IST's, designating taskings as IST would be somewhat problematic.

Back