• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Driver and Wheel course

Tpr.Orange

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all I was just wondering what i should be expecting for my first driver wheel course?

Im taking it and it starts in two weeks but i was kinda interested in fiding out what i should prepare for...

And information would be greatful thanks for your help

For the LSVW?
I finished mine back in December.
It wasn‘t to bad, 2 written tests, and so much driving it‘s almost bad..lol
Anyways, it‘s not to bad, just pay attention, and you‘ll do great..

How long is the course? I don‘t think Iltis is even offered any more -- I haven‘t run the Iltis portion for the last 3 of 4 courses I ran.

I know there is a "March Break" course being run that is about a week long plus a weekend that is for the LSVW (seeing you are in the Toronto area).

The course would likely include a day of Defensive Driving Course (DDC), plus about two days‘ worth of learning about parts and characteristics of the vehicle. There will be a written test called the Driver Information Test (DIT) that tests your knowledge about the rules of the road. A practical test on the components that you learned in class. Then it‘s off behind the wheel with an instructor.

yeah, think max relax. its not a hard course as long as you dont start goofing off.

should be some fun easy days pay.

just remember the ML can be a large vehicle if youre not used to it. if you are unsure of yourself on the civie streets dont be afraid to pass off to the instructor. better to look a little silly then to hit some poor civie car and kill the occupants.

anyways though, You will have fun, dont worry. but bring warm clothes for the ML part. most times you would be warmer sitting in a fridge.

They still offer iltis courses? I thought they phased those out.

i might be mistaken.... which is very possible
and i think your right cpl. thompson

It is the week long course friday till the saturday actually

believe me i haven‘t been expecting any weapons....

Im a weapons tech so i think i can last the week without one.... hopefully

my advice is if its in london familiarize yourself with the many Gentlemens clubs that the city has to offer.. just uh... dont be silly and get drunk and be late for curfew like a stupid young private recruit Thompson once did... at the age of 17 no less....

uh i mean.. hypothetically....

Wel still use the Iltis as the Core vehicle for the LFC Dvr Wheel. And then a conversion for the LSVW and MLVW. Just remember the steering radius to a MLVW is 11m compared to the HLVW which is 10.45m...Ho-Ha!

God I love the HLVW.....

Big loud and stinks of desiel.

Just like most of the truckers that drive em.

Iltis, LSVW, OR the MLVW can all be used as the core veh -- it doesn‘t have to be the Iltis as the 1st veh. I‘ve ran LSVW->Iltis->MLVW and LSVW->MLVW and one can run MLVW->LSVW also if so inclined (although I don‘t like having the ML as the first veh simply because I don‘t want to have to sign off on tons of paperwork on accidents).

when i did mine it was ML then iltis .. and that was only a yr ago .. and they didn‘t even offer LS yes i know ... retarded .. :eek:

Hmm.... intresting.... I bet CFSEL would like to hear that one...

MSE Op‘s all the way....

33 SVC BN

Believe it or not, the Armoured School is the "Centre of Excellence" currently responsible for the LFC Driver Wheeled series of courses. CFSAL may conduct a lot of the courses, but the Armoured School wrote and organized a lot of the training plan currently in use.

And before you all say "wait, that doesn‘t make sense", you should consider that the course isn‘t necessarily FOR MSE Ops and that the Armoured folks actually do have some expertise (of sorts) on vehicles. And to give credit where it‘s due, some of my very best driver instructors have been gunners, engineers, and infanteers.

You will get all sorts of arguments on whether or not it‘s smart/stupid to run a driver course as MLVW only or LSVW only or MLVW first or LSVW first or Iltis first, etc etc... I like LSVW first because a) it‘s automatic transmission (given the choice between Iltis and LSVW) and b) it resembles civilian sized veh more so than MLVW so it‘s a better entry-level veh... but I have also heard arguements for having the MLVW first because a) it‘s automatic transmission and b) if you can drive an MLVW, you can practically drive anything smaller easily.

But since I get to choose which vehicle to teach first for my courses... :D

Originally posted by SpinDoc:
[qb] Believe it or not, the Armoured School is the "Centre of Excellence" currently responsible for the LFC Driver Wheeled series of courses. CFSAL may conduct a lot of the courses, but the Armoured School wrote and organized a lot of the training plan currently in use.

...and that the Armoured folks actually do have some expertise (of sorts) on vehicles. And to give credit where it‘s due, some of my very best driver instructors have been gunners, engineers, and infanteers.

But since I get to choose which vehicle to teach first for my courses... :D [/qb]
SOME EXPERTISE?....Ever hear of CADMS course?

Watch what your saying....I‘ve seen LOTS of reserve course O try to run a course...only to go back to OUR setups for training. :D

Regards

Goodness gracious, I can‘t even say anything nice about the Armoured Corps as a Log without it being construed as an insult. :rolleyes:

And I run my crses as prescribed by what the Centre of Excellence suggests I do. I have ran 4 serials within a 12 month period (show me a reg or res crse o who has done that recently) and received Above Standard rating from an AITS visit... I can‘t be all that wrong on how I run the crse... :D

And anyways, ALL the courseware that I use for LSVW Core -> MLVW Conversion comes from the Armoured School, so I don‘t know what you‘re fussing about Franko... I was merely trying to edu-ma-cate these troops about how there‘s more than one way to skin a driver wheeled kitty. :akimbo:

Ummmmm.....Spin Doc...

I WAS JOKING...notice the big grin? ;)

As for conversion to MLVW...from what? 5ton has been out of the system for 14 years, oh how I miss that truck... :warstory:

Regards

Back