• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drivers Licence and Applying-Question for Recruiters

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAlexK

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, i searched but couldn't find anything, but i may not have looked hard enough  :p
Would my lack of driver's licence hurt my chances of enlisting in infantry?

No.  It will, however, be a factor later if you are being considered for a driver's course.

CAlexK said:
Would my lack of driver's licence hurt my chances of enlisting in infantry?

When you filled out the application forms, did you see anywhere that stated " provincial DL is a requirement" ?

Unless the rules have changed, I don't think you need a PDL for a 404 unless you're and MSEOp. Ergo, you shouldn't need a PDL for Infantry.  You'll get a Basic Driver Wheel course later in your career.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, which is usually the case.. :nod:

CDN Aviator said:
When you filled out the application forms, did you see anywhere that stated " provincial DL is a requirement" ?

Havn't filled out the app forms yet, just wanna know what to expect when i do.

A prov. D/L is now only a prerequisite for MP, MPO and Med Tech.

Any other trade does not require a D/L before joining (as of yesterday, when they removed the requirement from the Supply Tech pre-requisites)

Otis

Why would a Med tech need a PDL?  And don't say for ambulances on an AF wing because the MSEOps operate those.  And what is MPO?
MP, I can see but don't they do a BDT in Borden before they hit the road?  Could be old info??!! And my info was incorrect, MSEOps are taught what they need to know.  The QL3 is still geared towards the non driver.  Actually, that's better because they don't come in with poor driving habits that take time to correct.  ;D

BYT Driver said:
Why would a Med tech need a PDL?  And don't say for ambulances on an AF wing because the MSEOps operate those.  And what is MPO?
MP, I can see but don't they do a BDT in Borden before they hit the road?  Could be old info??!! And my info was incorrect, MSEOps are taught what they need to know.  The QL3 is still geared towards the non driver.  Actually, that's better because they don't come in with poor driving habits that take time to correct.  ;D

Heck BYT Driver anyone can operate the Crash Ambs  ;)

Actually in the trade, it's a full qualification on your 416s.  Yes, anyone can drive one, but in the trade, we are there to help the medics as stretcher bearers, "gophers" and first aiders if needs be. 
:)

BYT Driver said:
Why would a Med tech need a PDL? 

I wouldn't know why, but it says they do in the Qualification Requirements:
http://www.forces.ca/html/medicaltechnician_reg_en.aspx

Michael O'Leary said:
No.  It will, however, be a factor later if you are being considered for a driver's course.

Being considered for a driver's course has nothing to do with whether or not one holds a PDL (unless said member had their PDL suspended/removed for a DUI etc). 

You don't need a PDL to get your 404's, which is the only license pre-req for most CF driver courses (except for the MP's, etc).

I met an MSE Op who never had a PDL.

BYT Driver said:
Actually in the trade, it's a full qualification on your 416s.  Yes, anyone can drive one, but in the trade, we are there to help the medics as stretcher bearers, "gophers" and first aiders if needs be. 
:)

When I used to drive the Crash AMB for CFSME I  would also assit the medics if/when needed......

I recinded my earlier post that MSEOps need a PDL so that CFSAL can teach from scratch.  I was on my 3's with some who didn't....I tended to stay very far away from them....they scared me bigtime when it came to driving. 
Nfldsapper, I guess it's just another example of everyone taking away our trade...LOL    ;D
Long thread for a simple answer.
BYTD

Yeah but you are the only guys who can drive Road Cruisers and the other buses..........

..and tractor trailers...and SNIC equipment (not just heavy stuff that the Engineers operate too), and A/C refuelers.
I've just read on another thread that the highers that be are trying to get rid of the MSEOp trade in the army...WE are still needed in the AF in our primary role.
I'm a proud Trucker who would like to keep his job, but the nice thing is...if they get rid of my trade, I'll just pull the pin... T.I. is sometimes a wonderful things. 

BYT Driver said:
..and tractor trailers...and SNIC equipment (not just heavy stuff that the Engineers operate too), and A/C refuelers.
I've just read on another thread that the highers that be are trying to get rid of the MSEOp trade in the army...WE are still needed in the AF in our primary role.
I'm a proud Trucker who would like to keep his job, but the nice thing is...if they get rid of my trade, I'll just pull the pin... T.I. is sometimes a wonderful things.

Slow down, I never said the army was getting rid of the trade. Only that positions were being cut, the way the trade is used is being studied and that MSE Ops are one of the 'easy' trades in the CF to pick on.

I seem to recall hearing rumors about amalgamating trades such as Tfc Tech, Supply and MSE Op as opposed to getting rid of any trades.

I don't think will go back to the days of old.  Supply Tech, Tfc Tech, MSEOp and Veh Tech all spawned for the old Service Corps which was mostly supply and wagoneers.  Re-amalgamating would seem a waste of time and useless. Look what happened to the Fin Clk trade and Admin trade; all the AF trades amalgamated into one....most of my friends from before that time say it's an absolute headache, not knowing what background some people have in order to work on the planes.
Each of the Logistics trades have become quite specialized over time and you couldn't or wouldn't be able to all of it in one lifetime.
Besides, if they pulled something like that, many of the old school members would pull the pin out of professional pride.    :D
:2c:

Well, that was years ago, they probably abandoned that idea.  I will say, with the hiring of so many civilian drivers, the MSE Ops seem to have less options in their trade.

Really?
Here at the Wing, we have downsized our MDOs and are short MSEOps, therefore services have been downgraded.  I won't and can't comment on where there are being employed, but we also have MSS spooling up and that takes many of our Military, ergo, less services.  One Mil has gone Civ, so it's one for one.
We still have to maintain the airfield for SNIC and man the REF section, plus GPV airfield requirements.
Maybe at your base, they've hired more Civilians (I know one or two myself) but here they are a dying breed as well.  So far, there is no other trade that can take up most of the trade slack from the MDOs and MSEOps.  Most of our PIA runs are gone because of lack of drivers, fewer T/T runs, fewer Bus details...the list goes on due to lack of drivers and lack of priority over AF OPs.
I apologize if I sound a tad angry, but there's been a thread or two lately that's been trashing the trade which many of us are proud of being in.  There's thread that started some time ago by Mr.Plow that stated the Truckers Truth
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37358.0.html

This thread has taken a turn from someone just asking if they need a PDL to join the infantry.  ::)
And turned into a Trucker's Bash.    ::)
rant off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back