• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drivers Liscence!?

What it means on the back of your 404s is that you do not need to produce a civilian driver's license to the civilian police in the event of an incident. When driving SMP or DND vehicles, your 404s are your provincial driver's license.

You are required to have at least a G1 (in Ontario) or equivalent to drive DND vehicles. Once you have that, you can be issued a learner's permit or full DND 404s which will expire when your civilian license expires. If at any time your civilian license expires/gets suspended/gets removed you need to report it to your transport section and they will take appropriate action.

I learned to drive using LSVWs, then I took Young Driver's civvie side, having already 404s to drive LSVW with Trailer. All I needed was a G1, which I got 2 weeks before starting the LSVW driver wheeled course.

PuckChaser said:
You are required to have at least a G1 (in Ontario) or equivalent to drive DND vehicles.

Not to be adversarial, but, my understanding is that you can drive DND vehicles without a PDL. There are a few exceptions, such as Med Tech.

As with MarioMike, I find it rather contradictory that you need a PDL to get the 404's but dont need a PDL (according to the back of Ammocats' 404 license) to drive a DND vehicle.

Wierd...  :-\ Can anyone else add any info...?

FishOuttaWater said:
As with MarioMike, I find it rather contradictory that You need a PDL to get the 404's but dont need a PDL (according to the back of the 404 license) to drive a DND vehicle.

Wierd...  :-\ Can anyone else add any info...?

That is something that has changed fairly recently. I did not have a PDL when i joined the CF. I didnt even get my learner's permit until after i was HLVW qualified.

It is rather contradictory. I suspect that the 404 document simply just has not caught up with current policy but that being said, you do not have to have a PDL to operate a DND veh and if pulled over, there is no requirement to produce it for the officer.

Maybe it's just laziness. If you already have a license, they don't have to spend any time teaching you the rules of the road etc. ;) No one should be required to have a civvie license to drive a military vehicle. I wonder how far it would go in a redress if someones career was put on hold, and he couldn't get courses, because he refused to get a civvie license.

Edit for Spelling

recceguy said:
No one should be required to have a civvie license to drive a military vehicle.

Yeah, that's exactely what I mean. That regardless of the staus of your civilian license (never had one, suspended, learners permit, etc), I don't understand how it would effect a military D/L if the two systems are "different"...

??? Thanx for the additional input from all...

FishOuttaWater said:
Yeah, that's exactely what I mean. That regardless of the staus of your civilian license (never had one, suspended, learners permit, etc), I don't understand how it would effect a military D/L if the two systems are "different"...

??? Thanx for the additional input from all...

Even if the PDL was suspended for "impaired driving"? From what I have read on here, I think it would affect the 404's.

mariomike said:
Even if the PDL was suspended for "impaired driving"? From what I have read on here, I think it would affect the 404's.

It could, and likely will, however, suspension of your 404's is a military decision outside the Provincial Court system.

FishOuttaWater said:
recceguy said:
It could, and likely will, however, suspension of your 404's is a military decision outside the Provincial Court system.
Although what you say is true it's only part of the story. If someone is prohibited drive Canada wide (generally due to a criminal conviction ie; impaired, fail to provide breath sample ect.) this would carry over to someone driving a military vehicle and even having a valid 404 would not be a defense in a court action. Even without producing a civilian license your criminal convictions and federal judgments would show up on a CPIC check by running your name & birth date. Provincial driving prohibitions would also show up. Generally when someones license is suspended by the province there is also a court order prohibiting driving province wide. DND vehicles & 404's will not over ride a court order. The charge would not be driving without a license but driving while prohibited.

Back