• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dump trucks for the Engineers

FEEOP042

Inactive
Reaction score
If the MLVW replacement program goes with the Stewart Stevenson truck. They should add on 80+ trucks for the engineers. They have the new 10t dump that would be better then the HESV. The HESV is to big for the locations that we need to operate in. That way the parts are 80% interchangeable in the FMTV fleet. They should be a fleet breakdown like this 8 per Reg CER's and ESR and 4 per EET's and 4 on operations and 2 per Res units. That way the reserves can be using and trained on the same equipment that we use. The army needs to stop the split in the army of the Reg and the Reserves.

042 Forever

Didn't we try to use the HLVW as a dump truck and we had endless snags with the dump truck, hence the reason why we just gave up on the HLVW dump truck and got the HESV?

Yes we did but the trouble was that someone wanted a truck to side dump. We hardly ever use it. The truck flipped evertime you side dumped. The HLVW 16t would be good if you use the dump module that is on the HESV. And only rear dump then there is no trouble with the truck. Then you will have the off road and dual wheels needed for a dump truck. If they don't go with the smaller truck go with replacing the HESV with SHLVW 16t trucks with the dump module.

The best Dump's we had were the old 5 tons.
The were operater friendly,a medium weight vehicle but could carry enything.
The Cummins in them were a easy engine for all to work on with one with a smig of brains.

There is the dump version of the Oshkosh MTVR that is being proposed by Oshkosk/DEW for the MLVW replacement (Medium Support Vehicle System).  7-tons off-road and 15-tons on good roads.  It is being used by USMC engineer support battalions and US Navy Seabee battalions.

One thought after reading this thread again is the old Volvo side tipper's with dump.?
Cab would need improving and range?

I've had the opportunity to drive the Oshkosh in California.  Generally speaking it was a decent truck, but talking to the mechanics would lead me to believe it is a very propitiatory vehicle.  So someone would be making a whole lot of coin with the military...again.
As far as the Volvo that Earl mentioned, I think that a modern version of this application put on the Volvo/Autocar 5Tn (CFB Shilo's range firetrucks) would fit the current bill.  Cheep, easy to get the parts, and simple to operate...can't ask for anything more!
Cheers,
J

Yup the old KISS again our present dump's imo are too big, heavy.
We can use them in rear echelon but imo 5t with a simple 6 in line diesel which is driver friendly for even 1st line maintenance is what we need.
Shite,in Wain. I changed axle seal's, changed out fuel injector's,fuel line's.Can the boy's do the same too day?
No! Why because we have forgotten the KISS factor.

Here's a little story for you.
We bumbed 4 5T dumps from the 409th in Everet U.S. and drove up too the Chilkoton ,I drove her the whole Ex,on the way home just south of 100 Mile House I smelt fuel,puled over,F'K a crack in the fuel line on #5 cylinder,I tried too fix it ,no go MRT turned up,they had no fuel line.

What we did was cap off both end's from the fuel pump and injector,and I drove that Yank 5T all the way from 100 Mile House through the Canyon on 5 banger's to North Vancouver.
Man what a bitch going up hill's,we hit 5 mile an hr.!
I also drove her back to the 409th as we had no fuel line.

Yup bring back the good old in line 6 cummin's diesel,simple to fix but run's till it' drop's.

You gents have made some good observations here. Can't help but remember the same comments I have heard from retired pers that the older simpler dumps were the way to go. 31 CER currently has a few new Sterling (aka Ford) tandem dumps equipped with 475 hp engines (Det. Diesels I believe) and they will punch far above their weight. They are essentially civ patterns with auto trannys with the exception of the 24 V electric sys (which has been nothing but trouble since commissioning). Very versatile truck though with a ubiquitous parts supply. I look forward to seeing what the DND procures in the future. New can be good if the politics of assembly and supply are not too influenced.

RGO
:cdn:

First hand experience with them Sterling's....they get stuck on flat serfaces...like an out door wash rack!
I agree with Earl, Keep it Simple!  Granted there is savings from buying from the shelf, but, in a combat situation....give me an old 5 Ton Dump or maybe a Civ Mac :p

The old International 8 tonner with the 16 speed road ranger was a good all purpose dump truck, as long as you didn't go mogul mashing with it.

Kat Stevens said:
The old International 8 tonner with the 16 speed road ranger was a good all purpose dump truck, as long as you didn't go mogul mashing with it.
Kat the only trouble with those was they were useless off road especially in sandy terrain and mud,the front end was dodgy with a full load as the nose of the truck seemed to float and made steering very interesting!.We asked to change the tires from the civie pattern to a more aggressive tread tire even nondirectional but we were shot down.
I drove 6Fds. and we learnt the hard way and never took the puppy to into sandy or muddy terrain.
For power you could not ask for more,on a road move from N.Van to Wain. after leaving Calgary with a beaver tail and fully loaded I had that sucker upto 140 kph and still had power to spare!!!!
All those 8 tonners are up in Cold Lake with 4 AES now and have not been driven for years.

Nice dump but I still see the tires may be a bugger too change.
Can the driver change one with out help?

If the Volvo’s you are talking about are the articulated ones, they are very good for short ranged rough, constrained surfaces, but a bugger to drive long distances, most get trucked to the site with tires removed and then used in location. They are prone to tipping over if improperly driven (taking a corner to tight and fast while loaded) More of a specialty item.

Lager and Ale said:
First hand experience with them Sterling's....they get stuck on flat serfaces...like an out door wash rack!

Really? Haven't had any problems with them here at the tank wash rack in Gagetown. Then again I'm was hauling a loaded Beaver Tail.

Miliceman said:
Are these infos are trues? This is the dump truck by the way :

new4.jpg

Spr.Earl said:
Nice dump but I still see the tires may be a bugger too change.
Can the driver change one with out help?

Nice to see at least an attempt to have a spare tire for the dump. Unlike the Sterlings which have none, nothing like waiting for the wrecker to show up  :p

FEEOP042 said:
Then you will have the off road and dual wheels needed for a dump truck. If they don't go with the smaller truck go with replacing the HESV with SHLVW 16t trucks with the dump module.
Does the SHLVW have increased power along with the increased load capacity (my understanding was that it was the same HLVW engine & power train that guys typically find underpowered but more wheels & improved suspension)?  Being able to support the load in the box is of limited utility if the truck will not get it to the top of the hill.

The SHLVW has 360hp eng vise the 310 the HLVW has. The HLTT are getting the 16t upgrades as well. They will be upgrading the eng, the suspension, the dual wheels, stronger T-case, new seats and the different coolant system.

042 Forever
Chimo

FEEOP042 said:
The SHLVW has 360hp eng vise the 310 the HLVW has. The HLTT are getting the 16t upgrades as well. They will be upgrading the eng, the suspension, the dual wheels, stronger T-case, new seats and the different coolant system.

042 Forever
Chimo

My question is can the driver change his own flat?

I kow that there is one problem with the trucks upgrades that is the spare tire is for the front wheel only. The rear wheels have a different rim system so the truck only carries the front tire as a spare. So with it been a dual wheel on the axle you will have to call for a spare to be brought out to you or wait till you get back to base to change it. I will be looking for some way to mount a rear spare for are tractors when they get upgraded.

042 Forever
Chimo

This may answer your ? If the driver is a Engineer Heavy Equipment operator the answer is Yes. If the driver is the so called Professional 935 the answer is no they call CAA. If you are talking about changing the tire off of the rim. The answer is that you need to have a tire changing crse. There has been accidents with changing tires and now it is the Mechanics job which it should have been from day one they like to past the buck.

Back