• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Dunkirk" WW2 movie directed by Chris Nolan coming out in July 2017

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
I wonder what they will use to simulate Panzer I and Panzer II tanks? Just more CGI?

Guardian

Christopher Nolan set to direct Dunkirk evacuation drama

Catherine Shoard
@catherineshoard

Monday 28 December 2015 09.16 GMT
Last modified on Monday 28 December 2015 10.29 GMT

The director Christopher Nolan has been linked to a new movie about the 1940 operation to rescue hundreds of thousands of Allied troops from the beaches around Dunkirk.

French newspaper La Voix Du Nord has said that it was Nolan of whom Patrice Vergriete, the mayor of Dunkirk, was speaking earlier in the year, when he announced “the filming of an American blockbuster” in June 2016 by a “world-famous director”.

Meanwhile film website The Playlist claims Nolan and his screenwriter brother Jonathan have been scouting locations in France.
(...SNIPPED)

S.M.A. said:
I wonder what they will use to simulate Panzer I and Panzer II tanks? Just more CGI?

Chris Nolan is a stickler for practical effects, CGI is his last resort. I am so very hyped for this.

Lot's of universal carriers around, there is is one operating Matilda I and I think 2-3 Matilda II's. Littlefields had a operating Vickers Mk VI and PzI (traded from the Canadian War Museum) and a non working Valentine. Not sure where they are now. 

I imagine the little boats will be scarce too, along with the Stuka etc.

Models were used to represent Stukas in The Battle of Britain. All of the other aircraft (except for the ones destroyed on the ground) were the real thing, although the He 111s and Bf 109s were ex-Spanish Air Force and had been re-engined with Rolls Royce Merlins. The models were obviously models.

True enough, I imagine that most of the "hardware" will have to be CGI as they're getting few and far between.

Variety
Christopher Nolan to Direct Action Thriller ‘Dunkirk’ for Warner Bros. (EXCLUSIVE)

December 28, 2015 | 10:56AM PT

Justin Kroll

Film Reporter

@krolljvar

Christopher Nolan looks to be headed to France during World War II for his next project.

Sources tell Variety that Nolan will direct “Dunkirk” from his own original screenplay as his next project. Insiders say the yet-to-be cast unknowns will lead the cast, but that Mark Rylance, Kenneth Branagh and Tom Hardy are in talks to join the ensemble.

Nolan will also produce the film with his longtime producing partner and wife, Emma Thomas. The story is set during the legendary evacuation of the northern French city during WWII. Nolan and his casting department recently began testing teenagers in London for lead roles, but the director also wanted to nail down some choices for the few adult roles in the film before the holiday.

“We are thrilled to be continuing our collaboration with Christopher Nolan, a singular filmmaker who has created some of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful films of all time,” said Greg Silverman, president, Creative Development and Worldwide Production. “‘Dunkirk’ is a gripping and powerful story and we are excited to see Chris, Emma and their cast realize it on the big screen.”

Warner Bros. has dated the film for July 21, 2017. The large-scale production will be shot on a combination of Imax 65mm and 65mm large format film for maximum image quality and high-impact immersion. Shooting will begin in May using many of the real locations of the true-life events, which form the background for the story.

Rylance, who received a Golden Globe nomination for “Bridge of Spies,” will next rejoin Steven Spielberg in “The BFG,” slated for 2017. He is repped by Hamilton Hodell.

Hardy, who is repped by CAA, can be seen in Fox and New Regency’s “The Revenant” while Branagh most recently helmed “Cinderella” for Disney.

It is unlikely to be a "docu-drama" so the availability of hardware for battle scenes may be an non-issue.  Possibly less "A Bridge Too Far" and more "Passchendaele".

I think I'll stick with the original film.  Just the "P" word kills it for me.

Some film stills of the movie, reposted courtesy of the ModelWarships forum:

DUNKIRK---film set photos released from the Christopher Nolan/Warner Bros. World War II movie about the evacuation of Allied soldiers from Dunkirk during the Nazi conquest of France. The movie is being filmed on location in Dunkirk. Jack Lowden, Tom Hardy, Kenneth Branagh, Mark Rylance and Cillian Murphy star.

f504714f-ba19-40ce-8a38-87b6f76802b3.jpg

e6dcbe66-c976-45bc-987c-76ccb4db8195.jpg

That's one hell of a modern looking radar antenna they left on that Ton class minesweeper disguised as a circa 1939 whatever warship it's supposed to be.  :-[

More pics, courtesy of the Model Warships forum:

DUNKIRK---new photos released from the Christopher Nolan World War II movie set filming on location at Dunkirk which involves over 5,000 extras.

385a9a45-202e-4ec7-9f02-dca5bce82205.jpg

64a26c2c-4468-41dd-a5fb-cd4123432903.jpg

50e5363b-c933-472f-8cce-1873e2ee7982.jpg

a1f04177-8a8e-47f3-88f2-ec63b0555c54.jpg

An update:

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/nord-pas-de-calais/nord/dunkerque/tournage-de-dunkirk-les-grandes-manoeuvres-sur-la-plage-1007093.html

Cheers
Larry

More pics, courtesy of the ModelWarships forum:

DUNKIRK---photos released from the Christopher Nolan World War II movie shows Tom Hardy in the cockpit of a Spitfire replica while filming in California.

35968533-1197-4779-b41a-d5af0b093537.jpg

b9cdcc3f-8ccb-4b04-9e8c-aac646818fbf.jpg

f9e6642b-585a-4394-9424-44d944230f3f.jpg

*Bump*
I just saw this movie yesterday at Fort Belvoir, Virginia in an exclusive preview.  Fantastic film.  Not heavy on dialogue, and the music is perfect.  Go see this and get used to the subtle sound of a ticking clock.  The manner in which the film is presented is quite clever.  You will enjoy this film.

And if you want to scare yourself, imagine the course of the war if the evacuation had failed. Not only would the bulk of the British Army have been killed or captured, but the officers taken out of the war would have included Alan Brooke, Alexander and Montgomery, and also most of their 1944-1945 army and corps commanders. They could not have been replaced.

There also was a strong faction in the cabinet and the senior ranks of the civil service who were in favour of a negotiated peace with Hitler. With the army saved, Churchill was able to put an end to their scheming; with the BEF in the bag, the "peace party" surely would have prevailed.

Maybe it was a miracle after all.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/force-strong-director-christopher-nolan-48639705

Tick-Tock: Christopher Nolan on the rhythm of 'Dunkirk'

No IMAX in Kelowna unfortunately.

https://moviepilot.com/p/dunkirk-which-resolution-is-best/4314342

70mm? Digital? IMAX? A Guide To Watching 'Dunkirk' In Cinemas

Nice to see this review mention "Mrs Miniver"--“the best piece of wartime propaganda ever made":

Why Dunkirk is a source of inspiration for Brits — and filmmakers
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-dunkirk-history-20170714-story.html

"Mrs Miniver":
http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/66969%7C0/Mrs-Miniver.html
http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/movies/329/Mrs-Miniver/

Mark
Ottawa

Back