• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

*EDIT: Is joining CANSOFCOM an OT?

nteeps

Inactive
Reaction score
I looked through most of the topics listed here and I couldn't find an answer to this question: how does my obligatory service effect my ability to join CANSOFCOM, specifically as a trained pilot? Maybe I'm using the wrong term with 'obligatory service,' but I know when I joined I signed something saying that I wouldn't request a occupational transfer until 7 years after I got my wings. Does that apply to SOF as well? I'm not talking about 427, as I understand that is a different story. Does it matter whether you are joining as an operator/assaulter vs. support staff?

Any clarity on this would be great. Thanks!

Component transfer implies a move between components: RegF, PRes, COATS, Ranges, SupRes.

So, to answer the question: a move to CANSOF is not, of itself, a component transfer.

Becoming a CSOR operator or CJIRU operator as an NCM would require an occupational transfer.  This would be a problem for obligatory service.

No other posting into CANSOF requires an OT. 

OT = change of military occupation: Pilot to Steward, for example.

CT = change of component (or sub-component) within the CAF.  Reg F to P Res, for example.

If you have an undertaking not to OT for 7 years, that means you need to spend 7 years as a pilot.  It is probable that there's also a restriction on changing components, so you can't finish up your 7 years on the Supp Res.

Sorry, component transfer was the wrong term. OT is what I was looking for.

MCG said:
Becoming a CSOR operator or CJIRU operator as an NCM would require an occupational transfer.  This would be a problem for obligatory service.

So, just to put those two replies together and make sure I'm understanding properly, in order to be an operator/assaulter (I'm assuming JTF-2 falls under that as well?) I would have to OT. Does that change if I want to stay an officer? Am I wrong in thinking that there are officer operators as well or do they have a different title?

dapaterson said:
If you have an undertaking not to OT for 7 years, that means you need to spend 7 years as a pilot.

This seems to conflict with the other statement a bit. I am able to transfer to any role other than a pilot if it doesn't require an OT?

Thanks for the quick replies.

JTF 2 does not require an OT for officer or NCM.

To relinquish your commission, you have to OT to a non commissioned occupation (and then complete that occupation's training).

Do not confuse your occupation transfers with postings.  Within your occupation, you can be posted to many jobs that do not involve piloting.  That is not an OT.

Just because getting yourself an officer job in CSOR or JTF2 is possible within the constraints of your obligatory service, it does not mean that you will be allowed.  The Occupational Advisor may not support you doing this.

MCG said:
JTF 2 does not require an OT for officer or NCM.

To relinquish your commission, you have to OT to a non commissioned occupation (and then complete that occupation's training).

Do not confuse your occupation transfers with postings.  Within your occupation, you can be posted to many jobs that do not involve piloting.  That is not an OT.

Just because getting yourself an officer job in CSOR or JTF2 is possible within the constraints of your obligatory service, it does not mean that you will be allowed.  The Occupational Advisor may not support you doing this.

Okay, good to know. I'm not looking to relinquish my commission. Is there a reason why JTF-2 NCMs don't require an OT and CSOR NCMs do? I'm mostly just curious about that.

Yeah, I'm aware that they may not want to let me go, especially considering that there's a shortage of pilots right now. It's not something I'm thinking of doing in the near future, but it's nice to know the rules.

PilotBob said:
Okay, good to know. I'm not looking to relinquish my commission. Is there a reason why JTF-2 NCMs don't require an OT and CSOR NCMs do? I'm mostly just curious about that.

CSOR SF Operator is a trade/MOSID.

JTF2 Assualter is a managed specialty(correct term?)

I'm curious why you wouldn't consider 427 as a pilot. To me it seems like you can do a lot of the cool stuff within your trade as part of your obligatory service.

I definitely would. In fact I'd love to start there and get a better idea of what I'd be getting myself into.

Back