• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Edmonton Thread- Merged

Piper said:
Care to explain?

in BC, you walk into the dealership and pay for your vehicle, an ICBC rep comes to the dealership and gets your info, fills it out on their laptop, pulls a plate out of their bag, gives you the registration, insurance, etc all within 5min and you havent even left the dealership, evenings, weekends, if the dealership is open, your ok.

in AB I bought my truck, had to drive 20min down the road to get the insurance, had to drive another 20min down the road to get my plate and registration. Not easy in a town your not familiar with.

My CT to Reg F has been approved.  Got some questions for those who can answer them.

-  Is there a lot of available housing on base nowadays?  Are the houses in good shape these days?

- Apparently, I got what I wanted in terms of location.  Do they take into consideration which units you'd prefer? 

- I noted down the nice hoods.  What about the neighborhoods you should AVOID...? 

- How are Edmonton and Ottawa different?  I know the former is more pro-military than the latter, and that EDMT is real expensive.  How's skiing?  Nightlife?  At least they have a football team.  :mad:

To put things in perspective, I got my own car, have been wise with money, no wife or kids, 22 years old, I enjoy moonlit walks on the beach.....

Thanks folks

I was wondering was this is CFB Edmonton? (Not just a little part, then another little part. Kind of like CFB Halifax.) And this is where 1 SVC BN and PPCLI are located? Be honest, I have never been to Edmonton, minus the airport. I just want to check out the MLS listings to make sure my ducks are in a row before I get a posting message.

Cheers,
Macey

Macey said:
And this is where 1 SVC BN and PPCLI are located?

Yes,  1 SVC BN, as well as 1 and 3 PPCLI are in Edmonton along with other 1CMBG units(minus 1RCHA and 2PPCLI).  If you go on the Army website you can see where each CF unit is located.

I was wondering was this is CFB Edmonton? (Not just a little part, then another little part. Kind of like CFB Halifax.)

What do you mean by this?

Is the base spread out all over Edmonton. I'm just in the middle of doing my research as we speak. Thanks for the information.

Macey said:
I'm just in the middle of doing my research as we speak.

More information here.

"Edmonton Thread- Merged":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/31283.0.html

Macey said:
Is the base spread out all over Edmonton. I'm just in the middle of doing my research as we speak. Thanks for the information.

No, for your purposes it is all located in that Northern part you have up on the map.

Is there any "shady" neighbourhoods/areas that I should be aware of?

Been a few years since I was in Edmonton last,  but I remember the St Albert and Sherwood Park areas being good.  Can't think of the names of the areas you'd want to avoid but there is a few.

Macey said:

I may get yelled at by locals with posting this, but MY OPINION IS

Avoid living on the east end (Abbotsfield, Beverly - 40st-20st and 137ave - 100 ave) as there is a lot of crime in that area.
Avoid living on or within a few blocks of 118ave East of 97st.
Avoid living in Ft Sashatcheewan - It's downwind from the industrial park of Edmonton and air quality there is poor though house prices are good

Good places to look at are:
Castledowns area (153ave and north, 97st to 127st) as they are 10-13min from the base and good ammenities there.
Manning area (153ave north to the Henday and 50st-97st) Growing neighborhoods, will soon be very close to large shopping area and 10-25min from base
St Albert - Nice community though I am told it's getting costly to live there - 20min from base
Sherwood Park - Nice place w/o the busy-Edmonton traffic. 45-60min from base
Morinville - Out of the city-proper but still sloe enough to not be considered 'out in the sticks'. 20min from base

With the Anthony Henday being open and connecting most of Edmonton, location isn't as much of an issue any more. To ge to the Airport from my place in Castledowns used to take me 60min but now I can get there in 35min b/c of the Henday. Therefore, places on the West are now an option for military pers.

Just my 2 rubles

GhostofJacK said:
Avoid living on or within a few blocks of 188ave East of 97st.

I imagine you meant 118 Ave, vice 188 Ave.  I owned a house a few blocks north of there & east of 97 St, and found it fine.  Mind you, this was 10 years ago so it could have changed since then.  Most of the homes were owner-occupied, and there was a healthy mix of people in the neighbourhood - some seniors, some working families, a few subsidized housing units.  The 118 Ave stretch was "colourful", but also relaxed, with some good places to eat - and as a woman living alone, I never felt unsafe in the neighbourhood.  For example, there was none of the gang violence that had been plaguing certain suburbs such as Mill Woods. 

Plus, it's within walking distance of Rexall or whatever they're calling it now (if the NHL ever gets going again).  Anyway, I much preferred that environment to the 'burbs of St. Albert etc., so to each their own, & the more opinions, the better.  :)

Macey said:

Edmonton Police Service
Neighbourhood Crime Map:
http://crimemapping.edmontonpolice.ca/

mariomike said:
Edmonton Police Service
Neighbourhood Crime Map:
http://crimemapping.edmontonpolice.ca/

It's helpful but you have to look at each neighbourhood one-by-one, which requires knowing the name of the neighbourhood you're looking at.  More useful for residents than house-hunters.  Too bad there isn't an option to select multiple neighbourhoods or even the entire city. 

bridges said:
It's helpful but you have to look at each neighbourhood one-by-one, which requires knowing the name of the neighbourhood you're looking at. 

You can click anywhere on the city map and the neighbourhood name and boundaries automatically display.

mariomike said:
You can click anywhere on the city map and the neighbourhood name and boundaries automatically display.

Ah - cool.  I dismissed it too quickly - sorry.  :-[    Thanks.

Back