• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Educational Waiver?

PetitorVeritas

Inactive
Reaction score
I apologize if this topic is covered somewhere else, but my search didn't turn anything up. I stopped in at my local CFRC today in order to book my CFAT and the Corporal booking my appointment asked me to bring in my high school and college transcripts on the day of the test. I informed him that I never completed high school (I dropped out in Grade 9) and that I had entered college as a mature applicant. I have a 3-year advanced diploma in Mechanical Engineering Technology from Algonquin College, having graduated with honours last April. He ended up having to speak to his superior, who informed me that, while I can continue the application process and take the CFAT, they will likely need to get an educational waiver because I don't have the minimum Grade 10. Now, while I'm slightly at a loss as to how having a post secondary education can be considered less important than high school, I understand the inherent bureaucracy of the system and don't fault anyone for doing their job. I certainly wasn't trying to be dishonest in my application, I truly believed my diploma would trump the fact that I hadn't completed high school. My question is: can I expect this to significantly delay my application process? What exactly is involved in obtaining such a waiver and will anything be expected of me?

Unit personal selection officer will have too submit a education waiver on your behalf.  In all situations, when entry standards (ES) indicate a higher level requirement (e.g., grade 11, grade 12) with regards to content (e.g., a biology course), experience or other requirements, applicants must meet those requirements. However, a file may present evidence of compensating factors where the applicant has acquired knowledge and/or competencies specific to the target occupation that would be considered equivalent to the related entry standard. In these cases, an entry standard waiver could be considered. It would be inappropriate to speculate on what you may or may not be granted, or the time it will take to complete. I suggest that you bring a complete transcript from Algonquin college when you attend your CFAT appointment.

Thank you for your reply, Master Seaman Robert. The intricacies of bureaucracy never cease to amaze. I am certainly not being critical of those whose job it is to follow the rules to the letter, it's just funny that the only thing separating me from someone who does not require a waiver is simply a Grade 10 transcript despite my educational level far surpassing that of someone who merely completed the first two years of high school. I'm just surprised that this situation is not more frequently encountered given that one does not require a high school diploma in order to obtain a college or university degree. I do like the way one of the recruitment officers put it, though: "Your college curriculum could have consisted of freakin' Basket Weaving 101 for all we know." As I said, I'm not taking it to heart, because I fully understand where they're coming from.. I'll just patiently await my results and hope that my transcripts speak for themselves. Thanks again for the reply and your honesty in regard to delay times and whether or not it would be granted. I much prefer hard truth to wild guesses. I shall prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Out of curiosity, should the waiver nor be granted, would obtaining a GED be considered equivalent to a standard high school curriculum or are equivalencies even recognized by the CF?

A provincially recognized General Educational Development (GED) is accepted by the Canadian Armed Forces, and could expedite your application process, and is equivalent to a standard high school curriculum 

Thank you, Warrant Officer Gregory. There's a testing center just down the road from me.  The next available test isn't until September, but I will book the appointment. It certainly couldn't hurt.

Back