• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Effects of Alcohol on Fitness: Stay Tuned, MTF

Quag

Inactive
Reaction score
Paracowboy,

I always knew alcohol was bad for you when you were trying to put on mass, but I never knew it was a catabolic (something that breaks down tissues in you body).

This is going to make me rethink my alcohol consumption.  How effective of a catabolic is it?

Quag said:
How effective of a catabolic is it?
I don't have hard figures, I'm sorry. But, anecdotally, how many alcoholic athletes do you know of? Now, how many fat alcoholics do you know?

Very good point.

It just hurts me to know the beers I enjoy after a game of puck, and the odd Friday and Saturday night, erase everything I work for in the gym every day. :crybaby:

Alcohol, its been nice knowing you :salute: ;D.

well, I doubt (and I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable on the subject will weigh in) that a beer or two every couple days is going to ruin a workout's gains. In fact, there are some studies that indicate a beer or a glass of wine a day is beneficial towards a healthy lifestyle.

paracowboy said:
well, I doubt (and I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable on the subject will weigh in) that a beer or two every couple days is going to ruin a workout's gains. In fact, there are some studies that indicate a beer or a glass of wine a day is beneficial towards a healthy lifestyle.

I've heard the same thing.  Good for the cardiovascular system.

However, as you might know, when the boys get together, more than a beer or two are known to be put down the hatch.

Quag said:
I've heard the same thing.  Good for the cardiovascular system.

However, as you might know, when the boys get together, more than a beer or two are known to be put down the hatch.
well, here's your aassignment ;D : do some iin-depth research on alcohol's catabolic & other deleterious effects on the body, and it's beneficial, and get back to us. Take a few days, even a couple weeks if necessary, but get back to the troopies with hard data.

I sense the sarcasm, however I think it might actually be beneficial to start a thread on it.  I did a quick search, and came up with nothing really going in depth on the subject.

I'm pretty busy at school for a bit, but I can piece an article together over the next week, as I will be at the library like its my job over the week.

Let me know what you think?

Quag said:
I sense the sarcasm, however I think it might actually be beneficial to start a thread on it.  I did a quick search, and came up with nothing really going in depth on the subject.

I'm pretty busy at school for a bit, but I can piece an article together over the next week, as I will be at the library like its my job over the week.

Let me know what you think?
no sarcasm at all. The smiley face was there because I know you have a lot on your plate as it is, and I found it funny to 'task' you with something on top of that. But I really DO want someone to gather the info for the members, and I'm feeling too lazy to do it myself.  ;D

If you are going to accept the task, I think it's a great idea. Some ideas: it may shorten your workload if you use the websites for Men's Health magazine and possibly the bodybuilding rags, as well. As long as you can identify the sources they use as respectable, it may cut down your legwork. If nothing else, they may give you some places to start your real research, anyway.

Mission accepted. :p

I've already found very credible sources.  I figure that if I'm going to provide a detailed paper that people are going to take the time to read, I should use nothing but scholarly references. 

Stay tuned, more to follow.

Hmmm - sounds a little like something my biochem class did - I did a lecture on ethanol in the treatment of methanol poisoning and another dude did how hangovers occur.

Have fun - drop by the UMS and ask for the up to date CMDT (Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment) - it's actually written so you don't need a PhD in biochemistry to understand it and has useful info in it on ethanol and other alcohols.

MM

Para:

A young Masterjack that works for me is a bodybuilder and also a personal trainer.  He's a big, solid  fella and has been known to fire a few pints downrange on occasion.

I'll run this by him on Monday for a "semi-pro" opinion.

Haggis,

Can you ask him about having a smoke on the warm down while you are at it?  Or at the turn around point of the old 2 x 10?  The half way point of a BFT?  Those are some of my favourite smokes of all...

Dave

PPCLI Guy said:
Haggis,

Can you ask him about having a smoke on the warm down while you are at it?  Or at the turn around point of the old 2 x 10?  The half way point of a BFT?  Those are some of my favourite smokes of all...

Dave

;D Me too!!

PPCLI Guy said:
Haggis,

Dave

Sure can.  I'll also check and see if it's still kosher to smoke during company PT.  Oh, the old days..... ;D

On a related note, I was doing 10K in civvy land with my ruck last Thursday and a guy in a pickup truck offered me a beer (no one you know, PPCLI Guy).

I could've experimented!!!

OK all, this is the start of the ALCOHOL thread, as requested by Paracowboy.  The reason for this thread, was some of the confusion that surrounded the effects of alcohol on the body (yes, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know the obvious, but this will explain exactly why).  I must note that it was interesting to research this topic.  I learned a lot of new information during my course of research, that I did not post here, so it was beneficial to me in a multitude of ways.  Full credit is given to the sources below where not noted.  As I’m sure none of you are going to penalize me for academic dishonesty as I am trying to do everyone a favour here, I will disregard the proper paper format.  If anyone has a problem PM me and I will make it proper (If only I had an extra hour every day!).Without further a due:

A common manifestation of alcoholism is the degeneration, or wasting away, of skeletal muscle. The condition, known as alcoholic myopathy, affects up to two-thirds of those who excessively consume alcohol; moreover, women appear to be particularly susceptible. The dominant features of this disorder are cramps, impaired muscle strength, and reduced whole body lean tissue mass, all of which are accompanied by reductions in the relative amounts of specific contractile proteins within the muscle itself.
Although there is also some evidence to suggest that malnutrition exacerbates the effects of alcohol on muscle, the mechanisms responsible for myopathy remain elusive. Some studies suggest that acetaldehyde (a toxic intermediate compound formed by the action of alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme during the metabolism of alcohol), rather than alcohol, is the principal pathogenic perturbant.

Alcohol acutely increases c-myc mRNA in skeletal muscle, possibly reflecting a preapoptotic effect, a compensatory stimulus to induce hypertrophy to counteract the catabolic effects of alcohol, or even a nonspecific cellular stress response to alcohol and/or acetaldehyde. Contrary to expectations, neither p53 nor Bcl-2 mRNA levels were affected by alcohol, even in the presence of cyanamide predosing or starvation. These data are important in increasing our knowledge of the damaging effect alcohol has, for both males and females, on a common muscle.

The alcohol in beer and other spirits impedes your muscles' storage of glycogen, the carbohydrate in the alcohol. That means fewer energy stores, which leads to weakened performance the next day. Also, alcohol can dehydrate your body. The combined effect of low energy and dehydrated cells leaves you feeling tired before your physical activity. And that could set the stage for a crash.

It can be postulated that because athletes have learned that alcohol use is detrimental to sports performance, elite athletes avoid its use during training and competition. There is considerable scientific evidence to support this. In a comprehensive analysis of scientific data, the American College of Sports Medicine came to the following conclusions:

• Acute ingestion of alcohol has a deleterious effect on many psychomotor skills.
• Alcohol ingestion does not improve muscular work capacity and may decrease performance levels.
• Alcohol consumption can impair temperature regulation during prolonged exercise in a cold environment.
• Alcohol consumption does not improve measurable physiological variables of sports performance, such as VO2max., respiratory variables, and cardiac parameters.

More recent studies have also shown that alcohol ingestion on the day prior to a sports event can decrease sports performance, in particular endurance performance. Finally, it is noteworthy that a large percentage of fatal accidents in recreational sports activities are linked to the excessive consumption of alcohol. This is particularly true of the aquatic sports.  Despite the evidence that alcohol is not the athlete’s friend, athletes should follow practical guidelines if they wish to consume alcohol and still compete at a high level:

• Do not consume alcohol just prior to a sports event.
• If alcohol is consumed 24 hours before an event, make sure that consumption is moderate and that the body is well rehydrated before sleep.
• After an event, rehydrate with a carbohydrate-based drink before consuming any alcohol.
• Do not consume any alcohol before aquatic events.

Works Cited:

Isometric Muscle Strength in Alcoholic and Nonalcoholic Liver-Transplantation Candidates. By: Panzak, George; Tarter, Ralph; Murali, Srinivas; Switala, JoAnn; Lu, Sandra; Maher, Brion; Van Thiel, David H.. American Journal of Drug & Alcohol Abuse, 1998, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p499-512, 14p, 6 charts, 2bw; (AN 1062830)

Family Problems and Sports Performance. By: Ritvo, Eva C.; Glick, Ira D.. Physician & Sportsmedicine, Sep2005, Vol. 33 Issue 9, p37-41, 5p, 1 chart, 1c; (AN 18373919)

"Social Drugs" and Sports Performance: Alcohol, Caffeine, and Nicotine. By: Schwellnus, Martin P.; Derman, Wayne A.. International SportMed Journal, Jan2000, Vol. 1 Issue 1, p1, 3p; (AN 7232641)

One Beer or Ten? By: Meyer, Nanna L.. Skiing, Nov2006, Vol. 59 Issue 3, p195-195, 1/5p; (AN 22765611)
HTML Full Text

December 2003 edition of the American Journal of Physiology – Endocrinology and Metabolism.

Anybody else that wants to add to this is more than welcome.  As I told Paracowboy, I've been swamped with school work lately.  In fact, after taking some statistics, I've notice a strong negative correlation:

Time spent on army.ca  vs.  Grades

T  |    \
i    |        \
m  |              \
e  |                    \
      |___________________
                Grades

You get the point anyways ;D

Back