• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EGS Training

Jgaetz

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and apologise if this has been posted before, been trying to read a lot and haven't found what I was looking for.

I am currently 26 and am looking to sign up to be an Egs tech or maybe an essential tech in a year and a half once my electrical appreciateship is finished.

My questions are, 

Can yout start at a higher wage than the  49k with the prior exp (being an electrician for 4 years), or do you start as private.

How fast or how much could you typically rank up as an egs on average.

How often (Givin your experiences) do you have to relocate.

How good is the Canadian forces pension  (after 25 years)

Is it worth it to join at 28?

Any information or experiences would be awesome!

Thanks guys!

Jgaetz said:
How good is the Canadian forces pension  (after 25 years)

Regular Force,
50% after 25 years.
70% after 35 years.

See also,

Canadian Armed Forces pensions
http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/fac-caf/accueil-home-eng.html
Find information about the Canadian Armed Forces pension plans that is specific to you as an active or retired member and to your survivors/child(ren). Learn about participating in the pension plan, retirement income sources and pension options.

Jgaetz said:
Any information or experiences would be awesome!

You may find these EGS discussions interesting and informative ( in addition to what is on the Forces.ca website ),

Electrical Generating Systems Technician
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+EGS&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=q9eDV7-gIcaC8Qf7_LbIBw&gws_rd=ssl

Jgaetz said:
Can yout start at a higher wage than the  49k with the prior exp (being an electrician for 4 years), or do you start as private.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information regarding PLAR etc.

Thanks for the info! I have Googled exactly what you linked there many times and read alot of it!  Was looking first hand about rank ups and salaries per rank etc, and how often you need to relocate.

Either way I'm super amped about joining  once I Jman tho!

Jgaetz said:
Thanks for the info!

You are welcome!

Jgaetz said:
Was looking first hand about rank ups and salaries per rank etc, and how often you need to relocate.

"Salaries per rank" are here,
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/reg-force-ncm-class-c-rates.page

Jgaetz said:
Either way I'm super amped about joining  once I Jman tho!

Good luck!

Thanks! Just wondering how often you get those pay incremen's per rank?

Yearly (on anniversary of promotion) until you max out for your current rank.

Hey guys I am looking into joining the forces as an Egs

The starting salary of a fully-trained Electrical Generating Systems Technician is $49,400 per year; however, depending on previous experience and training the starting salary may be higher.

I am a 3rd year electrician and was thinking of goibg for my jman before joining up.
On the forces ( site I see that quote (above) and am wondering how long it takes to be "fully trained" and how much experience I need to get a pay bump when I start?
Also if I join up before I jman am I able to challenge the red seal with the expierence I get in the field as an egs.

Thanks guys!  Appreciate the help!

Jgaetz said:

I am a 3rd year electrician and was thinking of goibg for my jman before joining up.
On the forces ( site I see that quote (above) and am wondering how long it takes to be "fully trained" and how much experience I need to get a pay bump when I start?
Also if I join up before I jman am I able to challenge the red seal with the expierence I get in the field as an egs.

For reference, see also,

OP: Jgaetz

Egs Ranking 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/123551/post-1444434.html#msg1444434

Hey, Thanks.

I read these responses and a guy told me to post on recruiting with questions about joining with related expierence.

Jgaetz said:
Hey, Thanks.

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Jgaetz said:
Thanks guys!  Appreciate the help!

When applying for EGS Tech and based on your academic and or civilian experience/credentials, you may be subject to a PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition).  The PLAR will determine whether any "credit" towards pay and or promotion will be granted if you are made an offer of employment for the occupation(s) that were PLAR'd.

Obtaining your jamn as an Electrician isn't necessary to apply for the EGS Tech Occupation.  The Red Seal certification program is a civilian qualification which you would need to obtain on your own.

The term "fully trained" is generally misleading and merely refers to someone at the rank of Private who is paid at IPC Level 3.  IPC Level 3 is obtained after 2 years of service in the CF.

Hey sorry for late reply.

Obtaining your jamn as an Electrician isn't necessary to apply for the EGS Tech Occupation.  The Red Seal certification program is a civilian qualification which you would need to obtain on your own.

Sorry if you mis understood me.  I realize you don't need a red seal to Join.

My questions is: I know hours as an Electrical Distribution tech can go towards the Canadian Red Seal program, I am just unsure if the hours as an Electrical Generating tech do or don't? I keep getting different answers from recruiters.

Thanks

Jgaetz said:
My questions is: I know hours as an Electrical Distribution tech can go towards the Canadian Red Seal program, I am just unsure if the hours as an Electrical Generating tech do or don't?

You could contact the provincial regulators and ask,

CF SKilled Trade jobs; Jouneyman Status?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/112669/post-1266217.html#msg1266217

Certificates of Military Achievement Recognized in Alberta:
http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/sources/pdfs/forms/military_trades.pdf

Ontario Trade Equivalency Assessment

Click on,

Canadian Armed Forces Veterans & Reservists
http://www.collegeoftrades.ca/trade-assessment

Jgaetz said:
My questions is: I know hours as an Electrical Distribution tech can go towards the Canadian Red Seal program, I am just unsure if the hours as an Electrical Generating tech do or don't? I keep getting different answers from recruiters.

That would be at the discretion of the Red Seal Program who is the issuing/recognizing agency, so you would need to discuss this with them.  CAF members do not require this type or level of certification to perform their duties in any Canadian Province whilst being an active member of the CAF.

Recruiters for the most part, won't be able to answer these type of questions with any degree of accuracy as they don't necessarily apply to employment with the CAF.

Back