• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Email to the DND on JTF2

Both were posthumous.  The article refers to the last living recipient to receive one.

PS.  Where've you been?

Perhaps this news is incredibly pertinent ... ?
(... and an incredible coincidence ... NOT!)

Canadian unit wins heroism citation

By The Canadian Press (from Wednesday, December 8, 2004 The Halifax Herald Limited)

OTTAWA - Canada's special operations military unit, Joint Task Force 2, has been awarded the U.S. Presidential Unit Citation for heroism in battle.

It's just the second Canadian military unit to receive the honour.

U.S. President George W. Bush made the presentation in California to the American commander of the multinational force in Afghanistan of which JTF-2 was a part from October 2001 to April 2002.

The citation, first awarded after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour on Dec. 7, 1941, is given to units of the United States and allied nations "for extraordinary heroism in actions against an armed enemy."

"The unit must display such gallantry, determination and esprit de corps in accomplishing its mission under extremely difficult and hazardous conditions as to set it apart and above other units participating in the same campaign."

The only other Canadian unit to receive the citation is the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, for actions at the 1951 Battle of Kapyong during the Korean War.

Military officials refused to release details of JTF-2's exploits in Afghanistan.

While their operations went largely unnoticed by their countrymen, their U.S. counterparts took journalists into combat operations for days on end.

Officials say that's because the U.S. special forces number in the tens of thousands, while Canada's contingent is believed to be fewer than 1,000, and members could be targeted by terrorists.

In the fall 2001 budget, the federal government announced a five-year, $118.5-million special forces expansion project.

Historic U.S. award for our commandos

By Stephanie Rubec, Ottawa Bureau (The Sun)

CANADA'S top secret commandos were awarded the prestigious U.S. Presidential Unit Citation yesterday for their heroism in rooting out Taliban fighters in Afghanistan. It's only the second time that Canadian soldiers have received the honour.

An undisclosed number of Joint Task Force 2 members travelled to California to receive the battle honour from U.S. President George Bush.

Canadian commandos joined the front lines in the hunt for Taliban and al-Qaida agents in late 2001, scouring caves in Afghanistan's mountains and setting the groundwork for military units such as the Princess Pats.

Steven Jurgutis, spokesman for Defence Minister Bill Graham, said the award recognizes JTF2's courageous fight against terrorists from October 2001 to April 2002.

"They received their citation for their outstanding contribution to multinational special operation forces," Jurgutis said.

'HIGH-RISK MISSIONS'

The citation commends soldiers for successfully completing "high-risk missions," which saw them destroy numerous cave and tunnel complexes as well as several al-Qaida training camps.

"They established benchmark standards of professionalism, tenacity, courage, tactical brilliance and professional excellence while demonstrating superb esprit de corps and maintaining the highest measure of combat readiness," the citation reads.

The citation commends the 100% mission success rate "while operating under extremely difficult and constantly dangerous conditions."

Over the past few years the military has allowed some details of the anti-terrorism unit's accomplishments to leak out, but only after their missions were completed.

Only the 2nd Battalion of the Princess Pats have received the Presidential Unit Citation before. The Princess Pats were honoured for their stand near Kapyong, Korea, in April 1951.

Some 75 Canadian soldiers have received U.S. medals or commendations this year.

Thanks everyone regarding my email. Lots of questions have been answered. I have a bit of a better understanding (bit only - I'm a civilian).  You are absolutely right though - my question would have opened a further can of worms - i.e. a simple "yes" or "no" answer wouldn't have sufficed. As mentioned, "need to know" and the Canadian public certainly has no need to know. I should try harder to curb my curiosity - it did kill the cat. 

merlane

Back