• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EME Cap Badge at CFSEME

The Regimental portion of the CET is now down to 2 weeks, with one night in the field, for MRT drills and such. Word is circulating that some people up high want to cut the Regimental portion down to about 3 days, where MRT drills etc will be expected at the SVC BN's after QL3.
Currently still recieving Cap Badges after CETT at this point...

Does MRT Drills refer to Mobile Repair Team and what kind of a drill is it, I have been out since 78?

MRT is Mobile Repair Team. We didnt really do a whole lot, a bit of navigating in the vehicle, basic radio procedures, and basics on recieving orders and commands from MRT commanders, ambush drills, that was about it.

Total crap about regimental getting shortened. Pers going to their first posting should have more than a basic clue. Svc Bns can't be relied on for much, let alone "caring" about turning out quality techs.
LET (Land Enviornmental training, BDT (basic Driver training) and even driver wheel should all be qualifications included with the threes packages. Trrops are sitting around Borden with there thumbs in their bums doing sweet frig all else. Time to bring some life back to "Army Trainin"

Agreed. I know why a lot of the training has been cut back, but that doesn't mean I have to like it (or agree with it).

Because of Regimental, I knew how to do proper radio procedures when I got to the Bn. I knew all my MRT drills that I would have to know as a swamper. I haven't done a triple-R in over two years and I can still ream one off. My BDT was done, so I just had to get FMC Driver Wheeled.
Mind you, still had no idea what I was doing when I got to the unit, all part of being a Crafty.  ???

Svc Bn is not the place to be learning extremely basic skills. It is an operational unit, not a training unit. QL4's is one thing, knowing what a RRR is another thing altogether. And what about the people that end up in static units on their first posting (Crafty's in Comox, Borden, Halifax, Trenton)? They're screwed when they get back to a field unit as a Cpl and are expected to have a certain skill set.

Man I can't wait till I'm in charge of ....something...anything......I swear on my torque wrench (1/4 inch, I was in Components last) that things will change  :rofl: A guy can dream, can't he?

Sure looks like they broke up the basic veh tech course into bits and pieces. Raise at each part I assume.
I was a M/Cpl both recovery and MRT and beyond the trade training all else was just taught with no expectation of being more qualified then the next guy just better able to do your job. In theory though most techs didn't get to recovery as there was lots of trucks but only one wrecker per unit. Tracks were the same as fitters you both drove and did the work. Love them tiller bars.

Until you earn  the right to wear the cap badge you should not wear anything but cf cap badge.  Ater 23 years in the branch it only makes sense.

Just a post to let some of the younger EME guys know what training was like inthe "good old days".
I joined in Jan 58 spent about a month in holding plt. shovelling snow,hiding, until Ijoined a
forming plt. in Regimental trg. coy., there were 8 plts. in the coy.Basic was 16 weeks long normally,
mine was extended an extra 4 weeks because of introduction of the FN C.1, yes they took away our
beloved lee Enfield No4 mk.1*,.Basic was heavy in drill,and range work,Rifle,LMG(BREN)and STEN,
marksmanship and weapons handling were heavily stressed along with camaflage and map using
and endless kit layouts and barracks inspections.Every Friday was a parade with the entire school
in attendance,HQ coy.,Veh coy.,Electronics coy.,Wpns and Inst. coy., Apprentice trg.coy.,and Regt.
trg.coy.,this assembly was entertained by the school band.This was followed by a kit and barracks
inspection.Getting a weekend pass depended on your performance on all of the above.As a RCEME
recruit you were left in no dought that you were a soldier first and a tradesman second and this
attitude only changed with Unification and the destruction of our Corps.
After Basic, a 6 week drivers course, you were taught Jeep, 3/4 ton,21/2 ton and 3 ton Stake and
if you failed this part of trg. you were not going any further in RCEME. Upon completion of all this
trg. you proceded on trades trg.for your group 1 qualification, mine was Instrument tech. and
took 6 months.
  Question no.1 -How does compare with todays trg ?.
  Question no.2- What is the justification for the crown on the hatbadge now that the Corp is
named EME not Royal CEME?. 
                                      Regards

Further to the above I thought that some of the younger Craftsman among you may be interested in
what it was like to serve in the RCEME of those days. My first posting was 1 Fd. Wksp. in Calgary
Currie Bks., 3 day trip by train from Toronto a wonderful 3 day vacation, women seem to lose their
inhibitions on a train, I guess they think I will never see this guy again anyway, oh I could tell some
stories. But to get back to more serious things,1Fd.Wksp.had just changed its name from 43 Inf.Wksp.
and was the last RCEME unit to rotate from Germany as a unit, it was a training unit and
DID NO PRODUCTION instead all work was routed through our control office and reassigned to
215 Base Wksp. in Sarcee.This meant that my boss pulled whatever piece of equipment I needed
to qualify for my Gp.2 qualification and have me work on it under supervision until he was satisfied
with my performance.I reached a level of expertise on these equipments that I never achieved
under the new abbreviated OJT system. During the summer Wainwright concentration we did
all 2nd. line maintenance for the 1Bde unit and could them demonstrate how good we were.
This system was probably wastful of manpower however the advantages far outweighed the
dissadvantages,our training was always up to date, our equipment was well maintained and we even
had time for Wednesday sports afternoons.We were able to accomplish this because of the fact we
did not have the usual BACKLOG curse hanging over our heads,that was what stifled any training
initiatives in any Svc. Bn.thatI latter served and turned life into drudgery always slaves to the
BCKLOG.
Hope I hav`nt bored you too much and you can have a little sympathy when you here old soldiers
talking about the "good old days"
                                            Regards

Good to hear stories from the past, to compare to the present. Not boring at all, if you have more to spill, spill it! I am still currently at CFSEME Veh Coy, as a QL3 step (civvy conversion) and I must say, at this point, the best part of my day is the march home. I cant wait get to a unit and get my hands dirty again!

I was a VTECH  with the res for a year. Now as a res i was disapointed but, I have some friends who are in petawawa and they are loving it.

The equivalency should give you your ql3-Ql5 with a millitary pattern vehicle refresher corse???

:threat: OK.. Let's clear this up for everybody! I have the accurate information, since I currently instruct at CFSEME Regimental Company!
OFFICIALLY, a student coming to CFSEME will not wear the EME cap badge until it has been presented to them (QL3's only). This happens at Regimental Company upon completion and graduation from their QL3 CET (Common EME Training) course. Anybody that belongs to EME, SHOULD NOT be wearing the EME cap badge at all while at PRETC, however it IS happening. So to summarize, once a QL3 has completed the CET at Regimental Company CFSEME and has been presented the cap badge, then... and only then will they wear it on their berets. I hope this clears up this whole topic for all of you.

On another side topic, students are also supposed to receive "The Green Monster" once they begin their training within CFSEME (also usually at Regimental Company). The Green Monster is the EME Branch's manner in which the QL3 trainees (Apprentices) are identified within the school environment. It has a long-standing tradition within the EME Branch, a tradition that has in the past few years been re-introduced. The "Green Monster" is a dark green strip of ribbon/fabric that is sewn onto the no-hook Private (Apprentice) slip-on. The green stripe resembles that of a Second-Lieutenant's bar, however the colour distinguishes it from all other CADPAT clothing. Currently, there is no supply of the CADPAT EME Insignia tags for the slip-ons available, so the issuing of "The Green Monster" has halted for the time being. At least until the stock is received by the CF Supply sections. On my promotion to MCpl, I had to take my Cpl slip-ons in to get my new MCpl slip-ons made, using the EME tags from my Cpl's. So, there you all are... more than you probably really wanted to know... and then some!

L8r sK8r

C'mon now, everyone knows that the last place for current information IS NOT the school.
Still teaching cold war doctrine 15 years+ years after it came to s screeching halt.

And yes I meant to say that, before you veh techs get confused. It's called sarcastic sarcasm.

LeoMech said:
:threat: OK.. Let's clear this up for everybody! I have the accurate information, since I currently instruct at CFSEME Regimental Company!
OFFICIALLY, a student coming to CFSEME will not wear the EME cap badge until it has been presented to them (QL3's only). This happens at Regimental Company upon completion and graduation from their QL3 CET (Common EME Training) course. Anybody that belongs to EME, SHOULD NOT be wearing the EME cap badge at all while at PRETC, however it IS happening. So to summarize, once a QL3 has completed the CET at Regimental Company CFSEME and has been presented the cap badge, then... and only then will they wear it on their berets. I hope this clears up this whole topic for all of you.

On another side topic, students are also supposed to receive "The Green Monster" once they begin their training within CFSEME (also usually at Regimental Company). The Green Monster is the EME Branch's manner in which the QL3 trainees (Apprentices) are identified within the school environment. It has a long-standing tradition within the EME Branch, a tradition that has in the past few years been re-introduced. The "Green Monster" is a dark green strip of ribbon/fabric that is sewn onto the no-hook Private (Apprentice) slip-on. The green stripe resembles that of a Second-Lieutenant's bar, however the colour distinguishes it from all other CADPAT clothing. Currently, there is no supply of the CADPAT EME Insignia tags for the slip-ons available, so the issuing of "The Green Monster" has halted for the time being. At least until the stock is received by the CF Supply sections. On my promotion to MCpl, I had to take my Cpl slip-ons in to get my new MCpl slip-ons made, using the EME tags from my Cpl's. So, there you all are... more than you probably really wanted to know... and then some!

L8r sK8r

I probably met this instructor since I went through Reg Coy. CET back around august this year. He's absolutely right!!

I do have a couple things to add ref:epaulets of use mostly to those of us who have entered the Vehicle Tech trade as semi-skilled.
If you are semi skilled with either pte 3 or Cpl rank you will be issued green monsters on your 1 hook or 2 hook epaulet as well.

Also, the tailor down at clothing has an ample supply of EME tags once again.
The EME kitshop is still nowhere to be found - you will need to contact the Adj for any info.
Hope this helps some folks out there.

Back