• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Engineer Deployments (Reg Force)

Zombie

Reaction score
Was just reading in the paper about the soldiers departing for Kandahar from Edmonton yesterday and got thinking - when can new Combat Engineers expect to be deployed after their QL3? Is it immediate, or is further training or experience necessary? Just wanting to get an idea, I realize that every situation differs. Is there a way to find out how many are currently on deployment and where, etc? Is deployment by regiment/unit or can an individual be deployed even though his/her unit is not? Is one regiment/unit/individual more likely to be deployed than another, or is there a circulation? These questions may sound strange, but I am unaware of the process.

Zombie said:
when can new Combat Engineers expect to be deployed after their QL3? Is it immediate, or is further training or experience necessary?
In theory, a new cbt engr could deploy within months of completing the sect mbr crse and joining a regt.  There are several factors in this: who is in the high readiness cycle, has IBTS & TMSBP been started, how many vacancies exist in the TO&E for new soldiers, etc.

Zombie said:
Is deployment by regiment/unit or can an individual be deployed even though his/her unit is not?
If a regiment is short a certain skill set, it may draw from another regiment to fill a requirement.  However, as a general rule, engr will deploy only when the regt they are in deploys or sends a sub-unit (squadron).  The exception is 4 ESR with the ILDS sect and potentially 1 CER with the Armd Tp.

Zombie said:
Is one regiment/unit/individual more likely to be deployed than another, or is there a circulation?
There is a rotation.  Do a search for â Å“managed readiness.â ?

MCG, appreciate the info.

I have done the searches, but can't find definitions for IBTS, TMSBP, ESR, ILDS. Can you help?

MCG said:
There is a rotation.  
Rotation, that's the word I was looking for...

SprCForr said:
BTW, you have to be 18 as well.
  I have to be 18? You mean they won't let me because I'm 30?  ;D

Army/CF words/terms/acronyms:  http://army.ca/words/?function=showall

I wish I had a picture of the RSM's face (Scribner) when I was clearing into 1 CER after TQ 3 and he realized I was only still 17. Got quite a few Oh Gods! and eye rolls that day.  ;D

Back