• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Engineer Stories From Germany

SprCForr

Inactive
Reaction score
Kat Stevens said:
As far as I can recall, being an old, played out CFL, we never got enough jump time in 4CER to make the experiment a reality. Don't forget, our role over there was as a CMBG, we were supposed to be a speed bump until the main force arrived. We had a few COs over there who lost sight of that fact, and were ready to spearhead the drive to Moscow. A behind the lines insertion was really not a requirement for us, as we were a glorified obstacle only...IMHO

CHIMO, Kat

Wasn't Nagel acting in some form of "Regimental Recce" in the 80's? Some sort of sooper-dooper Recce Sgt? I seem to recall something about a Recce MWO in an RHQ somewhere. Unless Sapper6 is refering to the "Jump SM/Abn Ops" position in Pet?

Jeff,
  If I remember right, all of those super-duper Uber-trooper tales were from 2CER.  As far as I know, there was never a designated jump posn in 4CER, we were too busy winning the Cold War... you remember, it was in all the papers...lol

CHIMO,  Kat

Yeah vaguely...I mostly remember, them 4 CER guys driving around trying to look cool, doing all them notional obstacles. Hard work, but someone had to do it!  ;)

Ah, Germany stories....

Kat, who was it that put an AVLB through some German's living room in the late 80s?   True or wive's tale?   Apparently the route recce didn't take into account the Biber!    ;)

S6

Well, let's see.... Stright-eye Walker put a Saturn crane through a house in '87, I believe, and one of the Resbians took out the corner of a house with the bridge reload trailer.  Recce Sqn only took into account height and width... the geometry of a 12m long trailers turning radius escaped them... Ahh, memories....

Yukon Jack dumped a crane over, can't remember if it was in Germany or not. Didn't put the legs out before lifting, and bypassed the computer. Classic Jack stuff! ;D

Oh crap, thanks for moving the thread...where's my helmet... :warstory:

Sapper6 said:
Ah, Germany stories....

Kat, who was it that put an AVLB through some German's living room in the late 80s?   True or wive's tale?   Apparently the route recce didn't take into account the Biber!    ;)

S6
Not again!!
In 79 we did the same,as I still remember the corner of the house was hit by the bridge as it turned the corner and were the bridge hit(not the tank),all below the contact point fell away in one big wedge and the big hole was covered in plastic. DOH!!

I'll never forget catching Pinky Richardson in a hide under a bridge sitting in his dump with bino's watching ladies nude bathing nite in the Sports Platz across the canal. ;D

Kat, who was it that put an AVLB through some German's living room in the late 80s?  True or wive's tale?  Apparently the route recce didn't take into account the Biber! 

i don't know who it was but it was a bad recce for a fall ex in 1991 and it was a 100 yr old Gasthus wall cost the crown 5 million DM

All I'm recalling is that it was a tight T-Junction and the Biber was turning left, the end of the bridge went into the wall and swept left taking out the corner of a second story room. I'm pretty sure it was before '91. Some how '85 springs to mind. I do know it wasn't worth 5 mil DM.

Maybe that was a different time... ???

Never heard of it myself. Never heard anybody talk about it. I'm sure Cam (An Armd Tp original if there ever was one) would have spread that one real fast. My point is if it was cost 5,000,000 DM for a wall on a 100 yr old Gasthaus, I'm sure that would have made it the hot topic at coffee break at the Regts across Canada for some time.

Weren't they for tourists only or some such? I wouldn't imagine a local of any substance would ever be seen in such an upstart.

;D

I was there from 88-93, and the only bridge that hit a house I know of was the Arnes bridge roload trailer clipping an upper floor appartment that an Omma and Opa were rudely awakened by.  We did come close more than once, as route recce hardly ever took the AVLBs or the Arnes trailers length into account.  We did tie up traffic in a few towns more than once.  The only demolition of a building I recall was Straight Eye's Saturn crane ride with the devil.

Kat Stevens said:
I was there from 88-93, and the only bridge that hit a house I know of was the Arnes bridge roload trailer clipping an upper floor appartment that an Omma and Opa were rudely awakened by.  We did come close more than once, as route recce hardly ever took the AVLBs or the Arnes trailers length into account.  We did tie up traffic in a few towns more than once.  The only demolition of a building I recall was Straight Eye's Saturn crane ride with the devil.

Kat,

I think it is your tale that I was referring to.  I wasn't there, but it doesn't stop me from keeping the tale alive!  So it was an Arnes trailer huh?  Man those things are tough.  I'm sure Oma and Opa haven't forgot how to spell A R N E S....

S6

This took place in 79/80.
There was my self,Johnny Pane and one other.
We were swilling in Kliener Tony's,just up from the Rhat Hause just across from the school.
While restoring our selves the local Lhar biker gang came in and proceded to get noisy until they saw us and then the abuse started.So we had a few more and just ignored them until we came aware that this lot might just might get stroppy and we were in no condition for a scrap.

So we called a taxi and waited out side,while out side we saw their assorted transport,ah is was so inviting.
So we popped their gas cap's and proceded to evacuate the night's libation's into each and every one of them.

We still laff over that and wonder how far their mo-peds made it down the road.
Yup the big biker gang road mo-peds!!

What was the name of those guys? The Spiders or something similarily cheesy comes to mind.

I was told a story many moons ago about them running across Chasse.  :o

Al Chasse: What a mountain - used to go through doors sideways - i seem to remember him picking up a bailey panel ( course that's some 30 odd years ago). I remember once him being a terrorist on one of those internal security exercises - when pseudo-riots were actual riots. He and and a buddy of his were 'cornered' in one of those deplapidated buildings near the river. Harry Poile picked the meanest sobs in the troop to go get them... some dust some noise - out the window they go.Then he picked Pop-Eye Gregorish and myself - not exactly man-mountain material... One word - shiiiiiittt - So up the steps we go...  Entering the room, there they were, leaning against the wall, waiting for some more fun... "Al.. Al... umm look.. it's friday, the mess is open... soon as you come, the exercise is over.. you can go drinking.. look Al.. here's twenty-bucks - enough for a 2-4...." He took the money.. we lived..

Back