• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enroll with RCMP and CAF

Hurricane

Inactive
Reaction score
I am curious to know if a RegF member (non-MP) can apply for the RCMP while still serving in the CF? I realize that you would need permission from your CoC to attend testing, interviews, and the polygraph. If accepted, is it also possible to have a voluntary release expedited on those grounds or is there a type of CT program from CF to RCMP where they are both federal?

Hurricane said:
I am curious to know if a RegF member (non-MP) can apply for the RCMP while still serving in the CF? I realize that you would need permission from your CoC to attend testing, interviews, and the polygraph. If accepted, is it also possible to have a voluntary release expedited on those grounds or is there a type of CT program from CF to RCMP where they are both federal?

The only way you can Lateral Transfer (CT) from RegF to RCMP is if you have been a police officer before with no more than 3 years out of Police service; or you were a member of the Military Police and meet the PLAR requirements.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting-recrutement/rec/lateral-eng.htm

If you have no policing experience, you will go through the same system as anyone else applying and you will go to Depot in Regina for 6 months.

Roger on the last bit, does anyone know if a Voluntary Release can be expedited IF one was to be accepted to attend Depot?

Hurricane said:
Roger on the last bit, does anyone know if a Voluntary Release can be expedited IF one was to be accepted to attend Depot?

Waiving the 30 day or 6 month requirement requires the support of your CO.  Generally if you are submitting such a request based on confirmation of civilian employment, they are normally approved.  We just had a similar case at our unit, it was supported and approved by NDHQ.

CFAO 15-2

RELEASE -ENROLMENT PRIOR TO 1 JAN 82

38. A member who enrolled, re-enrolled or transferred into the Regular Force prior to 1 Jan 82, except for a member undergoing recruit or basic military occupation training, who requests voluntary release must submit that request at least six months in advance of the preferred date of release or the commencement of terminal leave whichever is earlier. Subject to deferral for a military requirement, as specified in paragraph 44 of this annex, the request will normally be granted and the member released on the date requested. Should military and personal requirements be compatible, the six-month period of notice may be reduced by the approving authority at NDHQ.

RELEASE -ENROLMENT ON OR AFTER 1 JAN 82

39. A member, except those serving under ROTP, MOTP, DOTP, or DITP, who enrols, re-enrols or transfers into the Regular Force on or after 1 Jan 82, and requests voluntary release, will not normally have that request approved, except during a period of recruit training as specified in paragraph 36 of this annex, for a period of three years commencing from the date of enrolment unless compassionate circumstances exist. Subject to the requirement to complete the initial three year period of service, a member must submit that request at least six months in advance of the preferred date of release or the commencement of terminal leave whichever is earlier. Subject to deferral for a military requirement, as prescribed in paragraph 44 of this annex, the request will normally be approved to be effective on the date requested. Should military and personal requirements be compatible, the six-month period of notice may be reduced by the approving authority at NDHQ.

Your question on the VR has been answered by DAA.

As for the other questions, I would brief your CofC and give them a heads up as to what you are doing and garner their support. This will hopefully help when it comes to the short notice appointments for PARE, poly, medicals  and interviews.

Be advised though, it is currently taking upwards of a year to a year and a half for successfull applicants to go through the process. For an idea of some current applicant timelines I would advise you to visit the blueline.ca forums and have a look at the Law Enforcement Applicants threads, in particular the one concerning the RCMP.

If you have any questions PM me.

Cheers
Noneck

Great advice from Noneck.  By all means, keep your CoC informed of the process and your next step.  Keep in mind that most failures thru the RCMP recruiting system come from the polygraph.  Be honest, they will ask you about anythng they feel needs clarified BEFORE the poly.

As for the 30 day release, it depends on your trade.  As of 11 yrs ago, 031 was good to go for a 30 day release.
A friend of mine also got a 30 day last yr to go to depot.

Good luck.

I have applied to the Army, have passed the FORCE test and am currently waiting on processing for my previous service verification. Can I also apply to the RCMP now or should only one of these applications be active at once? If these were civilian jobs, it would be natural to apply to multiple jobs, but is it different in the forces? Thanks!

Different systems, different government department, you can apply for both.

PushToStart said:
Can I also apply to the RCMP now or should only one of these applications be active at once?

You may find this discussion of interest,

Question about RCMP and your application 
estoguy said:
There is that spot in the application where you can indicate if you'd want your application forwarded to the RCMP as well. 

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of current information.

Back