• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ESQUIMALT VS HALIFAX??

matthew_bourque

Inactive
Reaction score
So just some thought here, I've heard good and bad stories about both places, but let's get some info from some people who actually are posted at these bases, and tell me what you like and don't like etc, so I can make a choice as to where i'd prefer to be.

It might help if you identify the factors that will affect your decision.  A lengthy discussion on the values of schools and youth programs won't be very helpful if you don't have kids.

What do you like to do? Do you have family nearby or do you want to avoid family?

Victoria has awesome weather but housing is nuts, Halifax is more afforable to buy a house but face it the weather sux. All and all its up to you though if a posting is a good one or not.

No kids im young and single.....I want the warm weather lol but i'm not sure about housing and all that.

i guess it's a tough decision, I heard things like parking is better, e=weather is better, and where you go to train and dock is better (Hawaii etc) but i guess I have to think about it for the long term also as far as houses go and such.

Halifax sailors get some pretty nice ports as well. While I have never been to South America or Oceania, I have been to a few ports in Africa, several in the Middle East and most of the major and not so major ones in Europe.

Have lived in both places:

Halifax advantage:

Housing is somewhat more affordable;
The Navy is bigger (= more people to do the jobs required);
You are not on an island;
Lots of outdoor things to do;
People are very friendly; and
Great Ports (NY, Boston, Carib, Europe).

Halifax disadvantage:

Winter weather is crappy (snow and rain); and
No Sunday shopping but you can get hammered and lose your shirt gambling.

Esquimalt advantage:
Winter weather is somewhat nice (you do get some snow, but the rain can make you go nuts);
Not too many insects (they grow in size and number the higher in elevation you go); and
Lots of outdoor things to do; and
Great ports (SF, SD, Seattle, Portland, South America, Mexico, NZ, Australia, Singapore, Pearl).

Esquimalt disadvantage:

Price of housing (PLD going up though);
Traffic is getting Vancouver like;
BC Ferries;
People are cold;
Tree huggers galore; and
Did I mention that you live on an island?

FSTO said:
Have lived in both places:

Halifax advantage:

Housing is somewhat more affordable;
The Navy is bigger (= more people to do the jobs required);
You are not on an island;
Lots of outdoor things to do;
People are very friendly; and
Great Ports (NY, Boston, Carib, Europe).

Halifax disadvantage:

Winter weather is crappy (snow and rain); and

Esquimalt advantage:
Winter weather is somewhat nice (you do get some snow, but the rain can make you go nuts);
Not too many insects (they grow in size and number the higher in elevation you go); and
Lots of outdoor things to do; and
Great ports (SF, SD, Seattle, Portland, South America, Mexico, NZ, Australia, Singapore, Pearl).

Esquimalt disadvantage:

Price of housing (PLD going up though);
Traffic is getting Vancouver like;
BC Ferries;
People are cold;
Tree huggers galore; and
Did I mention that you live on an island?

strike one disadantage for Halifax......they now have Sunday shopping.
I've been posted twice to Esquimalt and once to Halifax.

Halifax is easier to get to other areas of the world like the Eastern Seaboard of the US and the Caribbean (cheap flights out of the airport)
You can drive to Central Canada in 10-14 hrs.
Housing is affordable and abundant.
For me as a motorcycle enthusiast there are more places to ride.....Once you've gone to Sooke and up to Campbell river on the island you get pretty bored...even hitting the mainland there are only two or three ways to go.
your bucks will go further in Halifax and the people are awesome...especially if you're a single dude.

Like the others I have had the pleasure of being posted to both bases, other than the usual naval crap (rougher and tougher east coasters in that mighty north Atlantic, there are benefits to both places)

Victoria now has cheap air fares out of YYJ down south
Vancouver Island is an amazing place to live if you enjoy the outdoors (camping, hiking)
Motorcycle year round
No toll bridges

I don't see how there could be more places to ride in NS, there is still only one road in and out of that province, and you can't do it year round.  That's the first I heard of a motorcycle guy saying that the rides out east are more abundant than those on the west coast

The bottom line is the place is what you make of it, people are friendly out east, and west, there are girls out east and west.  I'm from Nova Scotia and getting me to move off the island is going to be like taking fried chicken from Oprah.

The winter rain can bother some people, but the fact is that Victoria's yearly precipitation is quite low and it is the 7th driest city in Canada, you can't shovel rain.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Like the others I have had the pleasure of being posted to both bases, other than the usual naval crap (rougher and tougher east coasters in that mighty north Atlantic, there are benefits to both places)

Victoria now has cheap air fares out of YYJ down south
Vancouver Island is an amazing place to live if you enjoy the outdoors (camping, hiking)
Motorcycle year round
No toll bridges

I don't see how there could be more places to ride in NS, there is still only one road in and out of that province, and you can't do it year round.   That's the first I heard of a motorcycle guy saying that the rides out east are more abundant than those on the west coast

The bottom line is the place is what you make of it, people are friendly out east, and west, there are girls out east and west.   I'm from Nova Scotia and getting me to move off the island is going to be like taking fried chicken from Oprah.

The winter rain can bother some people, but the fact is that Victoria's yearly precipitation is quite low and it is the 7th driest city in Canada, you can't shovel rain.

Well just shows that you don't ride a motorcycle. I put 12-13000K on my bike annually on the East Coast. In Esquimalt, like I said you can go out to Sooke...or up island and then you're done. The Maritime provinces have more places to go.....south shore,,,,annapolis valley, eastern shore, cabot trail,,,,,and on and on.....and I can get to the ROC and the US without getting on a ferry to do so...lack of tolls?? last time I was in Esquimalt it cost one gigantic toll to get off the island!!

True that I do not ride, but I have more friends who ride than those who don't.  They love the fact that they can ride year round, I have yet to hear any of them complain about the lack of places to go, you are right there are only a few directions to go.  As for major roads you can only really go north or west to Tofino, there is no shortage of amazing scenery on the island, there are plenty of other minor routes people ride on. Considering Vancouver island is just over half the size of NS, it still has plenty to offer.  I think the main draw is that they can ride pretty much year round.

I have no problems with the ferry or living on the island, the island has everything I need and the only time I head to the mainland is to catch major sporting events. (it is expensive though)

The bottom line is that if anyone can't handle the fact that they are living on an island then they should choose to live in Halifax (when comparing the two).

Parking isn't a problem in Esquimalt, and they have just opened up parking spots in Dockyard to first come first serve!

Parking in Halifax requires 13 years (last I heard) a retina scan and a DNA sample.

FSTO said:

Ah we got Sunday shopping now. Well most major stores...

WAL-MART and Sobeys is all you need..  ;D

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Parking in Halifax requires 13 years (last I heard) a retina scan and a DNA sample.

Sad but true....  ;)

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Parking isn't a problem in Esquimalt, and they have just opened up parking spots in Dockyard to first come first serve!

Plus the sacrifice of your first born.

Dolphin_Hunter said:

What??  Really??  Inside the gate?

Here is the news article, first come first serve seems to apply to senior fellas (with rank). 

http://www.lookoutnewspaper.com/archive/20080128/2.shtml

Looks like they are going to improve the parking situation in Esquimalt (not that there was a situation). 

Allthough not mentioned, I consider the people to be a major difference between East and West.  Ive spent time on both coasts, and there is a considerable difference between the way the two coasts think and act.  This includes organizational and personal attributes, and even extends to your civilian neighbours.  Is it attitudinal? I don't know, but many others have certainly noticed a marked difference.  At the risk of offending one coast or the other, I will leave it to the reader to draw their own conclusions.

Not to sure about how NS will compare, but hiking and backpacking in BC absolutely rocked - WCT is a heck of a challenge. Looking fwd to hitting east coast trails when we get our week of summer.... ;)

Rhibwolf said:
Allthough not mentioned, I consider the people to be a major difference between East and West.  Ive spent time on both coasts, and there is a considerable difference between the way the two coasts think and act.  This includes organizational and personal attributes, and even extends to your civilian neighbours.  Is it attitudinal? I don't know, but many others have certainly noticed a marked difference. 

So true! Its almost as if there is 2 Navy's some days.  I have been on both coasts, and from my personal experience I prefer the east coast....getting posted back there is the problem.  Seems to be more of a challenge than what was explained to me when I volunteered to come out here to the west coast after my 3's.  The whole "Request to come back East on your 5's as you don't have a HPD (home port division) assignment until then" is a complete crock of S*%& !!! 

Some of the ports here on the west coast are pretty nice, Hawaii at least once a year, and San Fran & San Diego at least once a year too.  Some years even get through most of Asia too, which was a blast.  But my buddies back east say Europe kicks ass, fleet week in is a blast and have been down to Africa also. So it comes down to what areas you want to travel to.

Back