• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ethics in the workplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

poutinelover

Inactive
Reaction score
The supervisor is away in Afghanistan. His replacement is a Mcpl whom will remain nameless in this thread.

This supervisor is known by myself and others to openly admit hating her job and most disturbingly, admitting to sabotaging trainees chances of advancing from trainee to trained. This Mcpl intentionally relocates those she randomly dislikes to units they do not need to be written off in. She has them at arms length at all times when on they're put into different rotations. It is my belief that she does this just to be able to control and harass the people in training.

This Mcpl has done everything in her power to verbally abuse and belittle hard working Canadian Forces members. These members are kind, friendly, and have nothing but 100% positive reports and feedback from past instructors. So what is this woman's problem with these workers? She hates her job so much that she wants to make these passionate-about-their-jobs peoples' lives miserable. What makes me say she hates her job? 1. She's admitted it. 2. She had a meeting to switch trades just yesterday.

She has had many written complaints towards her yet manages to slip through the infamous loophole of her being higher rank - therefore she must be right. A man is about to face charges simply for defending himself against wrongful accusations against this supervisor. The only words that came out of his mouth were "I wasn't sleeping." So who's right, and who's wrong? The higher rank supervisor, or the accused, who happens to have witnesses?

But this is the strong, proud, Canadian Forces - so it doesn't matter what happens to the accused. He spoke up where he wasn't supposed to. But being in the 21st century, with full fledged modern technology and human rights, he is and will always be the one who committed a wrong.

The people facing harassment from said supervisor are in a red flag trade, and this person is harassing the trade's best and most talented. Big mistake. One of these days, she's going to push a poor soul too far and they're going to snap. I tell ya, a part of me wants to be there, but doesn't want to, when that happens. Something bad may happen.

Aspects like these embarrass me for being associated with the Canadian Forces. We have absolutely nothing to be "Proud" about. This is the modern age. Treat your workers better. You need them.

What's a troop to do?

George Wallace said:
Find the Harassment Advisor and file Harassment Charges against her.

You can't charge someone for harassment, only file a complaint and let an investigation take place.

Poutinelover: If you feel you are being mistreated, your first step should be to directly (and respectfully) approach the person and explain the situation. If that is not possible, due to rank or fear of reprisal, speak with a Workplace Relations Assistant or unit Harassment Advisor like George said. There are a number of options then can offer, including dispute resolution, mediation, or at the far end of the spectrum, a formal Harassment Complaint. Remember that you cannot file a complaint on someone's behalf. If you're not directly effected, talk to the individuals and encourage them to take the steps to help solve the problem. If there is a complaint put forward, it will not be a quick fix, and the investigator will be from an outside unit.

Tess just posted a link to ADR, a great place to start as well. The WRA or HA will likely give you that link or information on ADR as a starting point.

Sorry.  That should have been a "Complaint".  Charges would be in an extreme case, and it would have then become a Criminal matter.

Another point, is once this is done (a Complaint made), it will be "on the CO's desk" immediately (before end of work day), and everyone will be under the microscope, including the person making the complaint.  As PuckChaser points out, you can not make a complaint for someone else.    PuckChaser also points out the methods that may be taken to reach a resolution. 

This link may give you some material to familiarize yourself with the Policies and processes:  http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5012-0-eng.asp

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pol/doc-eng.aspx?id=12414

George Wallace said:
Sorry.  That should have been a "Complaint".  Charges would be in an extreme case, and it would have then become a Criminal matter.

It could not be a complaint at the moment as this situation should be approached with caution. Just seeing what options there are, whether or not to go through ADR or just sit there and accept it, hoping that maybe the supervisor will eventually move onto a new location. I wouldn't want anyone making the mistake of acting in haste without considering options and possible consequences.

I believe you have an obligation to act if you feel someone is being harrassed. Waiting for the Supervisor to see what you see and then act is not ethical.

You know, bringing the issue to light may just solve the issue very quickly. Perhaps the supervisor in question is unaware that her "posting slump" attitude is adversely affecting her objectivity towards her subordinates performance. When I did my Harassment Advisor course, the instructor said a lot of the problems he's encountered were solved at close to the lowest level, simply because the defendant in a complaint had no idea someone was offended or feeling harassed.

Lots of good advice here: dragging things out into the light often has a way of squashing these turds.

But I'm a bit worried about this statement:

But this is the strong, proud, Canadian Forces - so it doesn't matter what happens to the accused.

If you and your fellows really believe that, and it isn't just venting through sarcasm, then this person and what is apparently an ineffective chain of command above MCpl level have already done great damage.

I don't know what type of a unit this is, but where is your Sgt Maj (or equivalent)? If that person is useless, where is THEIR boss in all this?

Good luck with this: there is strength in  numbers. By this, I'm not suggesting "job action", or what the military calls a "combination" (similar but not quite as bad as mutiny). What I mean is that if you support each other, seek out advice, and work within the established processes we have for dealing with this kind of person, you have a good chance of getting some resolution. This takes courage (dealing with bullies usually does) and that courage may be easier to find in a group.

Cheers

pbi said:
... If that person is useless, where is THEIR boss in all this?...

Fully agreed.

As per the basic rules of conflict resolution, this is the DS solution for the path you are supposed to take:

1.  Talk to the person you have the problem with, and how you feel that something is wrong (either against you, against someone else, or against the CF).  This is not as easy as it sounds.  It's very challenging to tell a peer that you feel like they're doing something wrong, let alone a superior, however the onus is on you to approach them.  As mentioned, "do nothing" is not an option.

2.  Should that not prove successful, start working your way up the chain of command.  In this case, I am assuming the next level would be a Sgt?  Yes, an MWO CSM is in charge of discipline, but it's good practice to always try to remedy things at the lowest level possible.

Tip: There is a tricky line to walk in terms of documenting what is going wrong.  You don't want to get to the point where you're finally accusing someone saying "Yes, last year I think sometime in February they said _____" because that won't hold water.  Likewise, you do not want to get to the point where you get the reputation of carrying a tape recorder with you because other people may not trust you once they get wind of it.  As per usual, balance is typically the way to go; start taking notes in private after the fact (don't pull out an FMP and start writing as she's talking).

Brutus said:
I believe you have an obligation to act if you feel someone is being harrassed. Waiting for the Supervisor to see what you see and then act is not ethical.

True this.

Anyone, subordinate, peer or supervisor who is aware of harassment occuring, or to whom an alleged complaint is made of such, has a duty to report it. It will then be investigated to see if it is founded/not found. They do not have to be the person who is allegedly being harassed.

I think the OP has been given the advice they require. No need to continue.

This topic has been regularly visited and the same protocols have been voiced each time.

Locked.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back