• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EX Maple Flag 2012

WingsofFury said:
RAF Special Forces C-130J

IMG_0917.jpg

This one is RAF C-130J Hercules C.5, serial ZH888.

WingsofFury

I am not sure if I have asked you this or not before; what lens are you using for your shots? And if you don't mind what are your settings?

I take a lot of pictures around Trenton of the aircraft but I can never get the sharpness that you display in all of your photos. Also, one last question if you don't mind; are you shooting from a tripod or hand held?

Thanks, and if you are ever in Trenton and looking for someone to shoot with let me know.

Armynewsguy said:
WingsofFury

I am not sure if I have asked you this or not before; what lens are you using for your shots? And if you don't mind what are your settings?

I take a lot of pictures around Trenton of the aircraft but I can never get the sharpness that you display in all of your photos. Also, one last question if you don't mind; are you shooting from a tripod or hand held?

Thanks, and if you are ever in Trenton and looking for someone to shoot with let me know.

Hello Armynewsguy,

The shots that I've posted above were all shot with the Canon 7D with either the 100-400mm or 24-105mm lens with the image stabilization (IS) turned on.  I find that the IS systems in both Canon and Nikon is a fantastic feature and should be used at all times...but this is just my personal opinion.  With regards to settings, if it has a prop (ie Hercules/Griffon) then I'll shoot in Shutter Speed mode and lower it down to about 1/100, sometimes lower.  For those with no prop (Hornets, Globemasters, Polaris, etc), I shoot in Aperture mode with the F stop of choice being about 7.1, at least that's what it was with the 100-400mm lens.  All my shots are hand held.

Don't forget to use the post processing tools that are available, as they will help bring out the colour already existing in your shots.  Another thing I do is to shoot in RAW format as opposed to JPEG - allows me to be more creative if called upon to be.

Best piece of advice I can give you - practice.  Then practice more, then more, then more....and then keep practicing.  Some, like yourself, have told me that my shots are good and I appreciate that.  But in my own mind, I still have a ways to go and I know the only way that I can get to where I want to be involves even more practice than what I currently put in.  Better lenses help, as do certain camera bodies, but lets be realistic...not everyone can go drop $5G's on some kit which is why when I was learning I picked up something simple and really used it for all that it was worth.

Hope this info helps, if you need any further feel free to pm me or just pose the question here.

All have been replaced with something from photobucket that says "Look who's popular. This image exceeds bandwidth with too many views. Go pro and get unlimited."

Here's a screen grab:

cupper said:
All have been replaced with something from photobucket that says "Look who's popular. This image exceeds bandwidth with too many views. Go pro and get unlimited."

Here's a screen grab:

I don't know. I'm looking at them right now.

Just got a server under high stress message.

That must be it.

Maybe Mike needs to issue the server a leave pass.

No, Mike need not do anything....it's the views from here that ate up room on the Photobucket server which caused the bandwidth issue...all bs in my opinion.

Anyways, I upgraded to a pro account and now you should be able to see the photos without any problem.

I'm creating an album on my website for the EX and will provide the link once it's done, just having to spend some time getting everything for the Editor, the RCAF, and myself, in order and up to date.

Cheers, Attila

Nope. Still not seeing any photos you've posted recently. Even the ones from the Skyhawks as well.

Update:

Looks like it may also be an issue with Safari vs Firefox. Seems that I can view them now using Firefox on my Mac, but sill cannot view them using Safari.

Upperdate:

And now they're back up on Safari as well.  Gotta love the wonders of modern technology.

WingsofFury said:
But in my own mind, I still have a ways to go and I know the only way that I can get to where I want to be involves even more practice than what I currently put in.

As a fellow long time photo geek, I know that we can be our own worst critics. Excellent work. Would love to see more.

cupper said:
As a fellow long time photo geek, I know that we can be our own worst critics. Excellent work. Would love to see more.

Thanks for your kind words.

Work today and then fishing tomorrow, should have a couple more posted by the time Monday rolls around including some AETE stuff from the range.

Cheers all, and have a great weekend.

AP

Beautiful pictures, WingsofFury. If you zoom in on CFB Cold Lake with Google Earth, you can spot the rare glimpse of a F-15 or F-15 in previous years.

Finally finished a little bit of a writeup on EX Maple Flag and incorporated it into the new design and layout of my site.  Any feedback on the article is appreciated here, and any feedback on the new look of the website should be sent to me via email to attila@hotrampphotography.com.

2012 EX Maple Flag

Cheers, and thank you all for your ongoing support in helping me understand more about the RCAF.

Sincerely,
Attila Papp
Owner/Editor -- Hot Ramp Photography

Dude, just had a quick flip through your website. The photos are awesome!

Loved the A-10 with the vortex contrails coming off the wingtips and back over the tail.

As I said before, us photo geeks are our own worst critics.

cupper said:
Dude, just had a quick flip through your website. The photos are awesome!

Loved the A-10 with the vortex contrails coming off the wingtips and back over the tail.

As I said before, us photo geeks are our own worst critics.

Thanks, there's still more to come as I get more work done on it.

Anyone else noticing a red tinge to the photos above?

On a separate note...

Got a chance to go up in an RCAF CC-130H (T) Hercules tanker during EX Maple Flag.

Here is the Navigator at the NAV station....

IMG_2301.jpg

And here's one of the planes which was refuelled - a Mirage 2000D from the French Armee de l'Air.

IMG_2167.jpg

Back