• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Exchanging clothing at different bases

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I ordered combat boots and wet weather boots and have been repeatedly told they were coming in ever few months I'd swing by to check.  I was just told, over a year later, they were never ordered and now I may have to wait another year for them.

Can I take my n/s wet weather boots and get them exchanged at a different base?

I have found different bases have different policies depending on the piece of kit in general, I've personally never never had issues with tunics, pants, jackets and such if they need replacement.

Some of this supply policies really pisss me off.  At our Wing, we have to wait a month or more for a replacement flight jacket.  I was told this is because they (Wing Supply) are not allowed to hold extras and must order them, which I was told will take at least 4 weeks or more.

Fuckin retarded. 

4 weeks would be awesome. I ordered mine in March and got nothing yet...

:facepalm:

Can anyone in the Supply world explain the problem with JH's boots, flying jackets, etc?  It seems to me that a base/wing SHOULD hold enough replacements of each so that the people who do the missions, etc have the kit they need when they need it, not weeks or months later.

SNAFU

Eye In The Sky said:
:facepalm:

Can anyone in the Supply world explain the problem with JH's boots, flying jackets, etc?  It seems to me that a base/wing SHOULD hold enough replacements of each so that the people who do the missions, etc have the kit they need when they need it, not weeks or months later.

SNAFU

I would love to be able to help.  Unfortunately at this point he should be engaging his CoC for assistance.  If supply has dropped the ball it should be found out how, why and who.

By the way I totally agree that we should hold sufficient numbers of stores to enable units to complete missions.  Unfortunately, again, if you haven't noticed we aren't buying much at the moment WRT operational clothing (Mukluks or combat boots anyone ?).  Not much your local supply can do until quantities are bought by Ottawa.

rog.  But what is the logic of now allowing Wing Supply to not hold a few of each size flight jacket, as an example, so when I need one I don't have to wait a month +?  Why hold them at the Depot (I am assuming that is Longe Point?) and having to order, wait, etc.

Eye In The Sky said:
rog.  But what is the logic of now allowing Wing Supply to not hold a few of each size flight jacket, as an example, so when I need one I don't have to wait a month +?  Why hold them at the Depot (I am assuming that is Longe Point?) and having to order, wait, etc.

I am assuming that this member is posted to an RCAF heavy location (i.e. Trenton, Comox, Greenwood, ect, ect).  If my assumption is correct then CLOT at that local should hold a higher stock of RCAF operation dress items than say a place like Halifax (DKYRD) or Shilo.

Having said that, the depot may be out of stock completely and thus unable to fill his base supply's stock levels in the first place.  If you had an NSN I could look it up and see.  If you do PM it too me.

Wish I could help more EITS but you can't draw blood from a stone.

Yup on the location; ZX.  The dude at the counter told me it would be 4+ weeks because they aren't allowed to hold extra stock of the new ACE jacket (new 2 piece flying jacket) NSN 8415-20-006-24001.

From what he said, they are required to order it and wait for it to "come in".  Kind of baffles me that a Wing Supply would "not" be able to have sizes on hand for immediate exchange.  They are allowed to hold flying suits, etc but for some reason they can't hold spares of the flying jacket.  ???

As the end user, my main concern is having the kit I am required to have to do my job.  I know a LOT of work goes on to make sure I have it, but there seems to be a break in the system when I can't get it because a supply item manager has made a rule that causes me to go weeks without the specified # of kit on my trades SOA.

Hopefully I can clarify a few things for you Eye. The new ACE Jackets, other ACE kit, and almost all new shiny kit systems are issued and exchanged by attrition to prevent the mad stampede at the clothing counter. The size of jacket that you wear, 7348, isn't a common size, but isn't uncommon either.

The thing to realize with attrition is that it affects all levels of supply, and not just your local base supply. For example if the Supply Depot is holding 200 legacy jackets of that size and 500 ACE Jackets of that size, the Depot will ship out all the legacy items first. After that is exhausted, they will ship out the ACE Jackets. Then the Warehouse at the base level has to exhaust their supply of legacy before moving onto the new kit.

There is also another force at play here that is probably a little more pertinent to your situation. All these jackets/bib overalls/flightsuits are being made by the same manufacturer, for all the colours(OD, CADPAT TW, CADPAT AR), in all the sizes. This presents a unique situation with such a large order as there needs to be extended lead times because they aren't exactly allowed to be running a sweatshop, and no one would bid if the timeline were too tight. Typically when a new clothing system of this magnitude is issued, the intent is to get everyone into one jacket. After this is accomplished then we can start backfilling for exchange stock at the local bases starting with the most popular sizes. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that isn't just a supply manager acting like an @$$.

On the plus side the flight suit roll out is moving along at a pretty good clip. N2M the ACE Jacket's collar sucks(make sure to grab a neck gaiter at the same time)

Hope this helps, FYI your size has less than 75 jackets available for issue forces wide, so don't feel singled out.

P.S. Hopefully I'll see you in the AESOp Trade! Still waiting for my AVOTP to come through.

Back