• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FAC Course in Gagetown?

vonGarvin

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
OK, so I moved onto the Enniskillen Road in order to, among other things, avoid the constant shelling.  (That sounds odd, but the NOISE of my artillery bretheren pounding Rockwell and Hersey ad infinitum).  Then, two days ago, a CF-18 goes overhead at about 1000 feet.  Yesterday, same thing.  Now, the only noises I usually hear out here are my bull mooing and my chickens, well, making chicken noises!  (I do realise the Irony of an RCR officer raising chickens, but that's another subject).  Just curious, is there a non-secure UHF frequency I could monitor on my handy-dandy Tandy scanner to listen in?  I'm getting bored of hearing "Range Control, this is 1 Uniform, radio check, over" or "Monitor these means", etc etc.

von Garvin said:
OK, so I moved onto the Enniskillen Road in order to, among other things, avoid the constant shelling.  (That sounds odd, but the NOISE of my artillery bretheren pounding Rockwell and Hersey ad infinitum).  Then, two days ago, a CF-18 goes overhead at about 1000 feet.  Yesterday, same thing.  Now, the only noises I usually hear out here are my bull mooing and my chickens, well, making chicken noises!  (I do realise the Irony of an RCR officer raising chickens, but that's another subject).  Just curious, is there a non-secure UHF frequency I could monitor on my handy-dandy Tandy scanner to listen in?  I'm getting bored of hearing "Range Control, this is 1 Uniform, radio check, over" or "Monitor these means", etc etc.

It's the chickens....they're getting to you!!  :)

von Garvin said:
Just curious, is there a non-secure UHF frequency I could monitor on my handy-dandy Tandy scanner to listen in?  I'm getting bored of hearing "Range Control, this is 1 Uniform, radio check, over" or "Monitor these means", etc etc.

Don't think so.

Besides, do you really want to hear all the crap that goes over the air?

I know I hear enough of it in the field, at home would just be a wee bit over the top.    ;)

Regards

Well, not to monitor or listen in, but to get some sort of warning that "they" are coming "over", so to speak :D

von Garvin said:
Well, not to monitor or listen in, but to get some sort of warning that "they" are coming "over", so to speak :D
I guess at your age, the old heart can't take surprises like "them" coming "over" out of nowhere eh?  Besides, it would give you the warning you need to what? gather all the chicks and the bull and take them into the storm cellar?  ;)

Do you have hens too?  You could do a big study on how the noises effect their laying....there's gotta be money in that kind of research....hehe

von Garvin said:
Just curious - Hiow WOULD you get a warning without monitoring or listening  in ???

To Answer your question, no you can not listen in on chater between the FAC and air craft, reason  they are on a secure net. Sorry about that have a find outstanding day

UBQUE

von Garvin said:

Give a call to Range Control or read the DRSOs for the week....it's all in there I would think.      ;)

Regards

Recce By Death said:
Give a call to Range Control or read the DRSOs for the week....it's all in there I would think.      ;)

Regards

Except for the chickens activities, they can't give out that information.  lol

Hey imagine that low flying AC.  Welcome to our world.  Remember "Jet noise. The sound of freedom"

Here in Cold Lake they announce low level and night flying in the paper prior to it occuring then, of course, comes Maple flag and we get to see our allies in all their glory up close and personal as they bank over the house at 1000 ft or so.  Some days the kids can make out their faces.

Garvin,

I last flew/FAC'd in Gagetown in '89 however we don't tend to change too much....

Before the F-18 goes "tactical" and the tx's become squeels, it has to traverse regular old civilian airspace- and tell someone what he's doing. They may tx on:
- IFR transit from an airfield to the range, they'll be on UHF 270.8/ VHF 124.3/135.5.
- VFR transit from an airfield to the range, they'll be on 126.7
- if they talk to Fredericton on the way in (probable) they'll be on 119.0/ or in extreme sit 236.6
- They'll probably check in with Gagetown advisory on 126.4 prior to crossing into the range (Tower will push them to the tac freq) Other Gagetown freq's are 120.2/ 263.3/Ops is 321.8
- Lastly, guard (121.5/243.0) ( emergency frequency) may used used for check in

I think you can access the link below, will give you every ATC frequency you could ever need.
http://1cadgeo.winnipeg.mil.ca/AeroD/current/publications/default.asp

Lastly, give the Gagetwon tower a call. Talk nicely, they should help you out.

Cheers-Garry

von Garvin said:
  I'm getting bored of hearing "Range Control, this is 1 Uniform, radio check, over" or "Monitor these means", etc etc.

I bet you heard me then on the net.

VG, listen out on:

321.800 - YCX / Gagetown Tower

270.800 - "Moncton Centre" (low level, below FL290)

228.300 - "Moncton Centre" (high FL290+)