• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Falklands War History (merged)

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone knows if there were any Canadian exhange personnel with the UK forces during this conflict?

Hi ExDragoon

There was a Canadian Engineer Capatain on Exchange with the British Forces who went to the Falklands shortly after the conflict took place.  I had the chance to speak with him this August in Wainwright.  He had the chance to recce the main island as well as some of the other smaller islands as the Engineers put together they de-mining plan.  Overall it was was of the best tours he had withe Brits as many of the Garrison who were there had participated in the war and he got their first hand accounts.

Regards

CArrow

bick said:
Negative, they were left behind at our governments command.

Nein!!!
LOL   - LCdr[now Capt(N)] XXXX** ... served under him an IRE. Also, the AWWO of the Gatineau, still serving in Esquimalt , was on the Glasgow. There were a few other officers as well, but I don't think there were any OR's, outside of those who couldn't say so anyway.   Cheers.  

**Edited for PERSEC pending review.

Rumor mill from my dads circle is that there was a Canadian onboard the "Conqueror"

Che said:
Rumor mill from my dads circle is that there was a Canadian onboard the "Conqueror"
+
"... but I don't think there were any OR's, outside of those who couldn't say so anyway."

=2

Cheers.

Actually I just clarified this with dear old dad.
His group of buddies were all teaching at the Royal Naval Academy (something like that) during the Falklands, while none of the Canadians went to the actually war, they were all friends with English who went. One of those English officers was serving onboard the Conqueror and immigrated to Canada where he became a dual-citizen (And subsequently back to England where he now lives and has some very lovely daughters I must add)

So the old officers knitting circle strikes again.

Met many British military who served in the Falklands War, RN, RAF, British Army because of our close links with the Royal International Air Tattoo, RAF Fairford, Gloucestershire UK, largest military Air Show in the world. I am sure a lot of your readers and members have been there. There is an outstranding
British film about the War - "Tumbledown" which is a true story of an officer in the Scots Guards
badly wounded on Tumbledown Mountain and his subsequent rehabilitation from a head wound
-this is an excellent view of the British Army in a major infantry operation with supporting arms,and the battle scenes are exceptionally well done. Asked the History Channel.ca to broadcast the film, but
there appears to be some longistical problems to obtain it from the British TV producers at the moment
Always have felt that Canadian personnel serving with the British Forces of the period should have
participated for an invaluable experience.MacLeod

Tumbledown was a good show.
I work with a couple of Ex.Brit Merch. who were there,one was on the Oriana and the other was on one of the container ship's.
Interesting stories from their side.

Twenty-four years ago today I was cold and wet on the beach in the Falklands in the middle of a grand scheme of things.  It was the making of myself.

3 Commando Brigade Headquarters and Signal Squadron RM

The Landings in San Carlos Water - 21 May 1982

After Argentine forces had occupied the Falkland Islands in April 1982, 3 Commando Brigade RM was the landing element of the amphibious task force ordered to recapture them. The landing force consisting of 40, 42 and 45 Commandos RM, reinforced by 2nd and 3rd Battalions The Parachute Regiment, embarked in HMS Fearless and Intrepid, Landing Ships Logistic and in many ships taken up from trade and sailed 8,000 miles south via Ascension Island. The latter stages of the voyage were conducted in poor weather conditions and under threat of Argentine surface, subsurface and air attack. Sound planning in conjunction with the Naval Task Force Commanders, culminated in a successful unopposed Brigade night landing in the San Carlos region of East Falkland before dawn on 21 May 1982. For the next seven days the landing force was under constant attack as the Argentine Air Force attempted to dislodge it from the beachead. The choice of this remote, sheltered landing area, more than 70 kilometres from the capital of Stanley, enabled the landing force to withstand the air assault and played a major part in ensuring the successful recapture of the Falkland Islands during the ensuing weeks.

http://army.ca/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=Members/8tpz4582.jpg

BBJ- thanks for the good work!! It must have been a fearful and exciting experience!!

It made me the man I am literally.  Because of what happened there I went for and obtained my commission.  It was the start of my learning experiance.

Commando Logistic Regiment RM

Landing at Ajax Bay - 22 May 1982

The Falklands campaign was fought some 8,000 miles from 3 Commando Brigade's base in Plymouth. This stretched the logistic support to its utmost. The Commando Logistic Regiment RM (Lieutenant Colonel I J Hellberg RCT) was faced with the problem of supporting an enlarged Brigade spread over more than 30 warships, auxiliaries and merchant ships. The skill, dedication and exceptional devotion of the ordnance, transport, repair and medical elements of the Regiment in adverse weather conditions and often under heavy enemy air attack played a major part in the success of the landings in San Carlos Water. During the following three weeks of the campaign, from their beach support area at Ajax Bay where it landed on 22 May, the Regiment supported a Divisional Headquarters and two brigades, treated 695 casualties, processed 2,000 prisoners of war and dealt with over 8,000 tons of stores, ammunition and equipment. The logistic support provided by the Commando Logistic Regiment RM was a battle-winning factor.

42 Commando RM

The Attack on Mount Harriet -11/12 June 1982

During the initial landings on the Falklands Islands on 21 May 1982, 42 Commando RM (Lieutenant Colonel N F Vaux) were brigade reserve at Port San Carlos before seizing Mount Kent in a night move by helicopter. By 4 June the unit had moved forward, mostly under cover of darkness, to positions west of the high ground overlooking Stanley and the last Argentine stronghold. After days of probing reconnaissance, a Brigade assault took place on the night 11/12 June in which the Commando's task was to secure Mount Harriet on the Brigade right flank. In the moonlight and freezing temperatures, 42 Commando moved undetected through enemy minefields in a 9 kilometre right-flanking movement to surprise the enemy in their rear. Consecutive assaults by K and L Companies followed up steep slopes on to company positions among the crags at either end of the feature. Careful planning, resolute leadership and the boldness and determination of Marines against initially strong resistance and continuous artillery bombardment eventually prevailed. By first light more than 30 enemy had been killed and over 300 prisoners taken as 42 Commando consolidated Mount Harriet.

45 Commando RM

The Attack on Two Sisters - 11/12 June 1982

In the dawn assault on the Falkland Islands on 21 May 1982 45 Commando RM (Lieutenant Colonel A F Whithead) landed at Ajax Bay on the Brigade's right flank. After securing the western side of the beach-head, and while ships were being unloaded under Argentine air attack, 45 Commando marched across more than 80 kilometres of rugged terrain in freezing weather and driving rain via Douglas Settlement and Teal Inlet to be in position on Mount Kent for 3 Commando Brigade's main attack. The Commando's objective was the twin peaks of Two Sisters, the centre of the Brigade's three objectives. Bold reconnaissance between 4 and 9 June had pinpointed enemy positions and fighting patrols, while artillery harassing fire had caused some early casualties to the enemy. A silent approach and a two-pronged attack during the night of 11/12 June against well-equipped and dug-in opposition up the jagged, craggy rock formations culminated in fierce hand-to-hand fighting for the final enemy company positions. About 50 prisoners were captured and 20 enemy either killed or wounded; the remainder had retreated to the east. Thirty-six hours later the Commando advanced swiftly to Sapper Hill, again on foot, and thence into Port Stanley.

Back