• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

fatal accident during training- Sapper Short-RIP

bossi

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Sapper killed at CFB Petawawa

The Ottawa Citizen
Tuesday, September 24, 2002

A 22-year-old soldier based at CFB Petawawa died yesterday after the light armoured vehicle she was riding in flipped.

Sapper Maribeth Short of Nova Scotia died while she was part of a cross-country driving course in a training area of the base, said public affairs officer Capt. Jean-Marc Mercier.

Sapper Short was one of two passengers in the recently arrived vehicle. While the driver is on the inside of the vehicle, two passengers can be riding with the hatch up or down, said Cpt. Mercier. It is believed Sapper Short was riding with the hatch up and her head outside.

Other soldiers administered first aid and awaited for a civilian ambulance dispatched from Pembroke, which arrived within 30 minutes, he said. The training course is eight to 10 kilometres from the base entrance.

The driver of the armoured vehicle and a second passenger were treated for shock.

Cpt. Mercier said he can't recall the last time there was a fatal accident on the base. The incident is under investigation.

The last fatal training accident I recall happening in Petawawa was when Para Côté had a partial malfunction over DZ anzio, in the spring of 1990. A DZ was named after him shortly after near Ipperwash, where 1 CDO did an 800ft night para insertion with full eqpt during ON GUARD ‘90. ‘Hope St-Michael is taking good care of this trooper... AIRBORNE!!! :cdn:
May that young Sapper rest in Peace.

Makes me realise why (once upon a time, while training with the RCDs) the first thing they taught me was what to do if the MOWAG started to roll (i.e. get down inside the hull, not just the turret).

RIP

Back