• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fates of former armouries

The armoury in Moncton was turned into a Soup Kitchen a few years back which was used for Army Cadets and I believe a parade square for the local reservists. The Moncton building is more of the post-WW2 asbestos-built (Ha) style of building than both Halifax and Amherst armouries so probably it was easier to convert to something.

Some armories were completely torn down. The 3 Field Engineer Squadron of Ottawa used to meet at Lees Avenue, right on the Rideau River close to the now Ottawa U campus. I have great memories of weekends building Bailey Bridges in the yard and taking assault boats up and down the river. Not a real picturesque complex, like many others such as the Cartier Drill Hall of red brick Gothic Revival style, just simple Quonset huts and garages, but still we had a drill hall and great mess dinners there. All gone and torn down in the early 1990's, just an empty field. The giant old oak is still there, where we as raw recruits would congregate, climb, and chat during bridge building breaks.

If anyone has any pictures of the armories, I sure would be grateful to see them.       

rick7475 said:
Some armories were completely torn down. The 3 Field Engineer Squadron of Ottawa used to meet at Lees Avenue, right on the Rideau River close to the now Ottawa U campus. I have great memories of weekends building Bailey Bridges in the yard and taking assault boats up and down the river. Not a real picturesque complex, like many others such as the Cartier Drill Hall of red brick Gothic Revival style, just simple Quonset huts and garages, but still we had a drill hall and great mess dinners there. All gone and torn down in the early 1990's, just an empty field. The giant old oak is still there, where we as raw recruits would congregate, climb, and chat during bridge building breaks.

If anyone has any pictures of the armories, I sure would be grateful to see them.     

I'm not sure when you were with 3 Fd Sqn but your post brought back some memories from my youth. I would have to look for an image of the actual armoury which I may or may not have (it has been a while  :nod:). I do have this shot of building Bailey in the yard on Lees Ave. It was taken around 1972-73.

Attachments

• 3Fd_Sqn.jpg
    3Fd_Sqn.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 400
Excellent photo, thank you! I was there from 83 - 84 then transferred to Peterborough for university.

Back