• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favorite Military Film

Battle of Britain for sure.

Made me want to be a fighter pilot real bad while I was growing up! But -3.0 and -2.5 vision will kill that one every time.

The part where the British pilot bails and ends up in a kids backyard who gives him cigars always sticks out in my mind. As well as the poor Polish guys bailing over Britain.

Band of Brothers is an obviously amazing mini-series.

And I personally love Tigerland. Thought it was wicked, one of my friends showed it to me to scare me about basic a few months back =P

We Were Soldiers is quite possibly my favourite war film of the last few years.

Band of Brothers has got to be the best. My parents threatened to take it away because I wouldn't stop watching it. It certanly kept me on the edge of my seat.

I can't believe no one has mentioned "Kelly's Heros".

Bridge Over the River Kwai is also an excellent movie.

"Horns of Glory" (I think that's the title, I'll check on it) is also amazing.

BoB obviously... amazing miniseries.

Platoon and FMJ are classics, as well is A Bridge too Far... SPR is good but not great. I've seen lots of movies but the names escape me right now.

Don't forget MASH.

Back to what I was saying earlier, I'm really surprised more people haven't seen Kelly's Heros.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065938/

Clint Eastwood, Don Rickles, Tely Savalas, Donald Sutherland... come on... you know it's going to be a good movie... watch it...

I once saw a movie called "Large Privates" didn't have very much about the military but still good.;):D

Blackhawk Down is one of my favourites.  I alose liked Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan and Three Kings.

Watching Full metal jacket for the first time=cool
Watching full metal jacket with new recruits who quote the movie incorrectly more often than not = not so cool.

I liked star ship troopers. I really liked the philosophy behind it.
has anyone seen number 2 yet?

Hartman to Pvt Joker - "I admire your honesty, heck I like, you can come over to my house and ... my sister!"

[moderator note:  Edited for extremely inappropriate language]

Ghost778 said:
I liked star ship troopers. I really liked the philosophy behind it.
has anyone seen number 2 yet?

I haven't seen it, but I watched previews online. It comes up easily on search engines.

As for the first movie, it was fun, but I think it could've been so much more had they kept to the book's storyline rather than screwing it up so.

We Were Soldiers is still one of my favourites. Best line is the Sgt. Mjr.'s: "GENTLEMEN! Prepare to defend yourselves!"

On the History Channel they have been showing: A Bridge to Far,The Longest Day,The Battle of Britain along with lots of documenteries in rememberance of D.Day
ABridge to Far is on right now.

It depends which time frame.But heres a few
The Patriot (Mel Gibson)
Gettysburg
Zulu & Zulu Dawn
Sands ofIwo Jima
Doctor Zhivago
Schinders List
Wild Geese
Shatter City
Enemy at the Gates
Thanks to a Grateful Nation
Stalingrad
The LONGEST DAY
TORA TORA TORA
The Grey Zone
Midway

Bridge too Far is a movie I never get tired of. :)

Anyone remember Red Dawn?

**hmmm this might have been more appropriate in the Satanism thread as its my 666th post**

I loved Red Dawn, I've seen it lots of times.  I have to add mine:

Platoon
Bravo Two Zero
History Channel documentaries - I think there's one called Canadians at War, really good. 

Red Dawn.. thats the movie about a bunch of teens who take on the Soviet Military, who somehow were able to sneak past all the US defense systems, etc, an invade Colorado?

It's alright, kinda. I kinda wish the Soviets won though, I mean, come on, the kids had bow an arrows an some hunting rifles. The Soviets had a lot more people, assualt rifles, machine guns, tanks, helicopters..

I have to thank you guys for bringing "Bravo Two Zero" to my attention - it must have been release when I wasn't looking.
Anyway, I was able to pick up a copy on DVD for only $8.66 (cheaper than the cinema - hoo-hoo!)
Now I'll have something to watch when I'm Duty Offr once the Stanley Cup is over ...
(picked up Kelly's Heroes, too - "Whoof, whoof"!)
Thanks!

I don't know if you would count The Last Samurai as a war movie in the sense you are talking about but I found it rather good.  I take Aikido (a newer Japanese martial art) and I train with the Jos (wooden swords).  It was really interesting seeing how many moves I recognized.  Other than that I really liked We Were Soldiers.  I have the book which I found really added to the movie.  Another good movie based on a book was Black Hawk Down.  I know some people who say it gets boring because it is nothing but shooting, but I guess I see more in it than that.

The reason why the Soviets (they were actually cubans) got past the Missile defences was because they were in Passenger Airliners, not regular military transports. Apparently they did the same thing when the soviets invaded Afganhistan. Thats what they said in the movie anyways. Anyone no if this is true?

Back