• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favourite War Movies

Battle: Los Angeles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9otTzrO9Bfw

Ultramarines
(lovely royal blue colour and at one point on the trailer they talk about fighting chaos, just like the CF recruiting commercials  :nod: )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vF_VLZotWc

I'm pretty sure this one is about the Idlenomore movement...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwTxRuq-uk

I just finished my second viewing of "Intimate Enemies", a fictional film about the French's fight in Algeria.  This flick shows the fight in the bush, making it a good back-to-back watch against "Battle of Algiers", showing the fight in the cities.

Shows the gritty life of troops in the field, as well as all the moral issues/questions about fighting a war they're not calling a war back home.  Worth watching if you have a chance.

Not necessarily my top fave, but easily in my top ten.

Never seen it in your list but that was also ten years ago.

9th Company is a very good movie(Russian) but you have to read subtitles.

Verge1993 said:
9th Company is a very good movie(Russian) but you have to read subtitles.
Believe me, it sounds better with the subtitles than the version with English dubbing.

milnews.ca said:
Believe me, it sounds better with the subtitles than the version with English dubbing.

Yeah when I watched it they where still speaking Russian but had English subtitles. I could only Imagine the other way. Fu*king nightmare.

30 Seconds Over Tokyo.  It's a bit overly patriotic (produced during WW2) but all the scenes with the B-24s are awesome.  I love the old "prop-jobs".  Plus, it shows what you can accomplish with some inter-service cooperation.

30 Seconds Over Toyko. Twin engine B-25's vice four engine B-24's which were not operational at the time of the raid.

Finished this a few days ago:

http://vmovv.xoom.it/movie-downloads-%E2%80%A2-1939-battle-of-westerplatte-2013-dvdrip-500mb-mng/

The narration was historically incorrect, in that the narrator said the Free City of Danzig had voted to join Poland before the war.  They also made out that the Germans had forced the Poles to turn the Westerplatte in an armed camp by showing how lovely the Westerplatte beaches were when it was a city park. 

The movie was well done and accurate except for the Soviet army helmets used.  Weapons used were accurate being mausers with straight bolts, Browning Automatic Rifles and Spandau HMGs.  The artillery was accurate as well, 37mm Bofors ATG and 65mm Inf Guns.  The action was good and no "over the top" heroics that are the norm in former east block movies.  The commander was portrayed for the surrender fiend he was (of peasant stock he was made out to be a hero under the communists, when the real stubborn defender as his 2IC who was an aristocrat).

Good Movie

Dead Presidents was always one of my favourites. The director obviously had a good military because during the Vietnam scenes hey pay attention to a lot of small details that only people from the military would notice.

Just watched "My Boy Jack", a 2007 made-for-TV movie based on a Brit defence blog recommendation.  It's based on the story of Rudyard Kipling's son, John, in World War 1.  Biggest tech complaint:  NOBODY in helmets in the trenches.  That said, very interesting handling of the tug-of-war within Kipling Sr. about his view of the justness of WW1, and the soul-wrenching loss of his son in said war.

I also watched another recommendation from the blog list as well - "Carry On up the Khyber".  What can I say?  It carries on the "Carry On" tradition amusingly well!

milnews.ca said:
Just watched "My Boy Jack", a 2007 made-for-TV movie based on a Brit defence blog recommendation.  It's based on the story of Rudyard Kipling's son, John, in World War 1.  Biggest tech complaint:  NOBODY in helmets in the trenches.  That said, very interesting handling of the tug-of-war within Kipling Sr. about his view of the justness of WW1, and the soul-wrenching loss of his son in said war.

Mr Kipling was killed in 1915 before steel helmets were issued to the British and Empire forces.

Old Sweat said:
Mr Kipling was killed in 1915 before steel helmets were issued to the British and Empire forces.
Thanks VERY much for that tidbit - one really does learn something new every day here.  Milpoints inbound.

This was a very good film. Having spent a fair bit of time in Norway, the land of 'Quisling', I know how much they revere their resistance fighters:

Max Manus: Man of War is a 2008 Norwegian biographic war film based on the real events of the life of resistance fighter Max Manus (1914–96). The story follows Manus (Aksel Hennie) from the Winter War against the Soviet Union, through the outbreak of World War II and the occupation of Norway by Nazi Germany until peacetime in 1945. The production included around 1,800 extras and 2,000 workers behind the cameras.

The film is based on Max Manus's own books Det vil helst gå godt and Det blir alvor, as well as other accounts and historical documentation. The film stays largely historically accurate, but omits some events, and moves some of the supporting characters around to show them taking part in events in place of others.

The film's première was attended by King Harald V, 'Tikken' Manus, Gunnar Sønsteby along with other notable individuals. Reception from critics was largely positive, though some[who?] found the film to be too traditional, and compared it unfavourably to the Danish film Flame & Citron. Max Manus also sparked a public debate about the role of the Norwegian resistance movement during the German occupation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Manus:_Man_of_War

daftandbarmy said:
This was a very good film. Having spent a fair bit of time in Norway, the land of 'Quisling', I know how much they revere their resistance fighters:

Max Manus: Man of War is a 2008 Norwegian biographic war film based on the real events of the life of resistance fighter Max Manus (1914–96). The story follows Manus (Aksel Hennie) from the Winter War against the Soviet Union, through the outbreak of World War II and the occupation of Norway by Nazi Germany until peacetime in 1945. The production included around 1,800 extras and 2,000 workers behind the cameras ....
Just started watching this - VERY good, indeed.

I tend to go more for the older movies that are less "graphic" such as "Mr Roberts", "The Great Escape", "Twelve O'Clock High".  I've just found that after my deployments I can't sit through the more graphically realistic movies such as "Blackhawk Down" or "Saving Private Ryan".

I think the start of Full Metal Jacket is one of the best war movies I have ever seen. I also love Saving Private Ryan until the inevitable ‘Hollywoodization’ of the way that the ‘heroes’ are portrayed. Apocalypse Now will also rank as one of my favorite movies though I think it enters into thriller territory instead of being just a war movie.

Back