• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal government to declare new statutory holiday re residential school legacy

Brad Sallows said:
>Like what comes from being born into wealth vs born into poverty?

Not the same at all.  Neither of those is enshrined in law.  A person can change his poverty.
It is a lot easier to buy opportunity when you are born into wealth then when born into poverty.  People born at the bottom may not see the distinction as being as significant as you perceive it; they will see the same "disparate powers or privileges conferred by simple accident of birth" that you have identified as an impediment to Canada being a "health" country. In fact, much of the social disparities that are often ascribed to modern racism are, I suspect, more a symptom of historical racism and its effects on historical social disparity being preserved by the "disparate powers or privileges conferred by simple accident of birth" and the opportunities that wealth can buy.

Now, I am not saying we need to rush out and do something about this, but I am also not the one saying there must be "no disparate powers or privileges conferred by simple accident of birth" then caveating to exempt the "disparate powers or privileges conferred by simple accident of birth" that benefit my children and grandchildren because those ones are "not the same".

I understand what you mean, but what I mean refers to distinct powers and privileges the law says some people have and other do not.  I'm talking about legal powers - an example of a legal power is the power to bring suit against another person, who is then liable to respond - and legal privileges (entitlements).  I accept differential entitlements granted by law on the basis of circumstance (eg. means-tested social benefits), but not automatically by birth.  A person may have entitlements another does not; a people should not.

Brad Sallows said:
I understand what you mean, but what I mean refers to distinct powers and privileges the law says some people have and other do not.  I'm talking about legal powers - an example of a legal power is the power to bring suit against another person, who is then liable to respond - and legal privileges (entitlements).  I accept differential entitlements granted by law on the basis of circumstance (eg. means-tested social benefits), but not automatically by birth.  A person may have entitlements another does not; a people should not.

Like when I called the Human Rights Commission to lay a complaint and was told caucasians aren't allowed to make human rights complaints. Only 'minorities' are allowed to make complaints.

You mean like that?

(Wynne made a number of comments about old white men. I called the OHRC and was told the above. I was also told that if I did file, they would just send it to the Premier's office for response and clarification and the HRC would be out of it.)

recceguy said:
Like when I called the Human Rights Commission to lay a complaint and was told caucasians aren't allowed to make human rights complaints. Only 'minorities' are allowed to make complaints.

Did you ask them why they were assuming your racial identity?

MCG said:
It is a lot easier to buy opportunity when you are born into wealth then when born into poverty. 

My Grandparents, and my wife's Grandparents, moved to Canada from various parts of Europe to get out of poverty, and it worked because they worked - really hard.

Based on the rest of the world, if you want to work hard, we're not that bad as it turns out.

Back