• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal Government & Union spar over returning to office

The concept touted by TBS of "local co-working spaces" so you can have a bunch of people from other departments with nothing to do with your work surrounding you, and creating greater distraction, is certainly "interesting".
All the days (over several months) during which I used "hotel" cubes, I never found people from other departments distracting, because I didn't know any of them. My impression was that an office floor of people who mostly don't know each other was quieter.

None of which changes one’s employment status. Please let me know what strange rule you are speaking of that suddenly changes someone’s employment status?
It can change depending on the hours of work, requirement for work and who pays for supplies/ services required for work.
I got raked over the coals by CRA over similar circumstances. I had already doused the coals in water to deal with the concerns they had.
No it isn’t.

No it does not. You are confusing using your home for a business as opposed to just working from home. Nothing gets taxed on your place as a result. You do gain some tax credits though like anyone else working from home.
If you are conducting business from your home, (working from home is considered) you can be in contravention. I see in 2021 the government added a work at home provisions.
Having sensitive material at home is not the norm though. I’m not sure why you think all Public Servants are dealing with sensitive material at their house Those that do are are on site in the office. There are procedures if anything needs to leave the office physically just like before.
It is the norm, for example a CRA employee has a computer that has access to secured nets. They also have hard drives and such with sensitive information on them. Do they store them securely at home? Who is to know.

Friends in white collar jobs in the private sector went largely virtual pre-pandemic, as their companies realized that real property costs were a great way to save.

Indeed, one friend now works 1300-1700, then 2100-0100 daily, as it permits him to cover head office and offshore contract manufacturing hours - he's more productive from his den than he ever was from the company's offices.

My experience in a private sector white collar job is that the employees largely want to WFH and the employer is trying to get that genie back in the bottle without everybody quitting. That's generally the impression I get from the our clients too, although admittedly we have clients who are publicly-traded companies and there human resource pool is 5 or 6 guys living all over North America working together remotely.

I'm near the end of my vacation and having some down time at the moment, just read this thread. Looking forward to jumping into it when I get back in Canada.

There's this really cool thing called Citrix we use that blew my mind and made me realize how much easier it all is than it was in the DND. Citrix was first launched in 2009 but it's absolutely exploded in the private sector (of course the pandemic helped). I don't even need a company laptop, I can access my work desktop from my personal laptop and it's exactly like I'm at work, server/storage/software etc. No silly PKI card crap either.

DND/CAF carry a high tech debt that they are unwilling / unable to retire. There are mission critical systems on unsupported backends; user side software not upgraded because of custom applications depending on deprecated versions...

Moving entirely to DaaS might be a few steps too far (despite reduced sustainment costs and improved licensing controls, among other benefits).

My experience in a private sector white collar job is that the employees largely want to WFH and the employer is trying to get that genie back in the bottle without everybody quitting. That's generally the impression I get from the our clients too, although admittedly we have clients who are publicly-traded companies and there human resource pool is 5 or 6 guys living all over North America working together remotely.

I'm near the end of my vacation and having some down time at the moment, just read this thread. Looking forward to jumping into it when I get back in Canada.

There's this really cool thing called Citrix we use that blew my mind and made me realize how much easier it all is than it was in the DND. Citrix was first launched in 2009 but it's absolutely exploded in the private sector (of course the pandemic helped). I don't even need a company laptop, I can access my work desktop from my personal laptop and it's exactly like I'm at work, server/storage/software etc. No silly PKI card crap either.
Some of our allies use Citrix.

Of course any kind of real improvement is a bridge too far for the CAF / Federal government.

It would be a clownshow that would make the Phoenix pay system implementation look like the troops tearing down mod tent at end-ex....

But the longer they delay the worst it's going to get when its forced. Eventually it may become so prominent that they are forced to make the change just like how my cell phone begrudgingly no longer has a proper headphone jack and there's nothing I can do about it....

Of course any kind of real improvement is a bridge too far for the CAF / Federal government.

It would be a clownshow that would make the Phoenix pay system implementation look like the troops tearing down mod tent at end-ex....

But the longer they delay the worst it's going to get when its forced. Eventually it may become so prominent that they are forced to make the change just like how my cell phone begrudgingly no longer had a proper headphone jack....
Not necessarily.

I'm spitballing here, but I'm assuming the Citrix thing is essentially a Virtual Machine. In that case, can they not allow Citrix access to DWAN?

I'm not really tech-y, especially in the realm of that sort of stuff. But I suspect the allies that use Citrix also have "standard" workstations in offices.

Not necessarily.

I'm spitballing here, but I'm assuming the Citrix thing is essentially a Virtual Machine. In that case, can they not allow Citrix access to DWAN?

I'm not really tech-y, especially in the realm of that sort of stuff. But I suspect the allies that use Citrix also have "standard" workstations in offices.

I'm not tech savvy either and I'll probably make this more confusing. And yes, we have standard workstations at our offices at our desks (although they are laptops so we can take them to client sites for audit work).

Citrix is not a machine, it's software. Imagine logging into your normal DWAN computer at work... you put in your username and password, it loads up windows.. you see your desktop, outlook, you go to "file explorer" and can see the various drives, M://, personal drive, etc. You've got DRMIS, ACIMS, etc.

Okay, now imagine you are in Japan and need to access all that stuff. You go to the public library and access a public computer... you go to www.forces.gc.ca/citrix... you put in your username and password* and a window pops up and it's your work desktop, same outlook, same drives, same DRMIS, same background that you had set, same files on the desktop, etc.

*we have an additional authenticator app on our phones so in addition to my normal password, I put in the pin from authenticator... so you'd need my cell phone to do this.

Edit to add... oh yeah, and citrix works with numerous monitors just fine.

Last edited:
Oh, and our phones go through Citrix so I have the same work phone number/voicemail/etc. whether I am at my work desk, a client's office doing an audit, my home, or in Japan on a public computer. My phone info doesn't change.

Citrix is a virtual machine. One of many such systems out there.

All the days (over several months) during which I used "hotel" cubes, I never found people from other departments distracting, because I didn't know any of them. My impression was that an office floor of people who mostly don't know each other was quieter.
I don’t see the advantage of this over WFH. If you’re not going in to collaborate with coworkers then I don’t see how a random cubicle is any different from a home office unless you need access to a network that can’t be accessed remotely.

I don’t see the advantage of this over WFH. If you’re not going in to collaborate with coworkers then I don’t see how a random cubicle is any different from a home office unless you need access to a network that can’t be accessed remotely.
The advantage is the Ottawa mayor and businesses get off the backs of the TBS about the downtown restaurants not getting enough business.

I bring my coffee to work in a thermos, and pack my lunch. If I have to go to the office because of entitled restaurant owners, they won't get much from me.

Citrix is a virtual machine. One of many such systems out there.
It also allows IT to update everyone at the same time, hence the push for "Thin Client" machines where all the programs reside on a server in Ottawa. Needless to say the DFO field office in Butt**** nowhere with crappy internet was not amused and finally NCR realized the rest of Canada may not have reliable internet.

It also allows IT to update everyone at the same time, hence the push for "Thin Client" machines where all the programs reside on a server in Ottawa. Needless to say the DFO field office in Butt**** nowhere with crappy internet was not amused and finally NCR realized the rest of Canada may not have reliable internet.
Good point.

Maybe GoC should get shares in Starlink.

Multiple offices, which means more employees able to find locations closer to home. Commuting, but less of it. Generally part of a mixed home/office schedule. The employer pays for real estate in lower-demand locations closer to some peoples' homes. Good for employees, good for employers, good for the communities which get tax revenue from increased office space demand. The "loser" is the big inner cities that have long dominated holdings of most office space, and it's clear from what I've read they are a wee bit bitter about losing those tax revenues and the economic activity.

If you are conducting business from your home, (working from home is considered) you can be in contravention. I see in 2021 the government added a work at home provisions.
In contravention of what? The Income Tax Act has always had provisions for employees to claim certain household expenses not reimbursed by the employer provided the employer signed off. All they did in 2021 was allow a streamlined process to claim a lump sum rather than the existing detailed form so thousands of employers wouldn't have to sign millions of forms. If you are self employed, you can claim more things, like mortgage interest, insurance, etc. but there are certain risks to the 100% capital gains exemption on the principle residence. In Ontario, carrying on a home-based, office-bound business does not violate land use zoning rules, and, without looking at my policy, I can't imagine why an insurance company would really care provided I am not open to the public or doing other things that might violate the policy, like welding. If nothing else, the house is vacant less.

As mentioned, there is a difference between 'working from home' and 'running a business out of your house'. Working from home makes my residence no more of a workplace than my kid doing homework makes it a school.

Back