• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal Government & Union spar over returning to office

Lots of space in 101 these days lol.
As of last year at least, there were entire floors in both NT and ST that you can play floor hockey in.

They took all of the cubicles out and basically it was just carpet.

Or overnight
As someone who sometimes does shifts in my current job, I actually rather work the overnight shifts.

In general, there are less distractions, traffic isn’t as bad, parking is easier…I get more work done.

Somewhat related to this topic: DND moving 1,000 employees out of Ottawa office building due to safety concerns

The video mentions that the "safety concerns" are related to assaults on employees.
Rideau and Cumberland’s a bad spot by Ottawa standards. Half a block from a large shelter, it’s in drug central, and between the Rideau Center and the liquor store. While I’d feel alright walking there if necessary, my phone wouldn’t be out and I’d very much have my wits about me. I wouldn’t ever suggest to my wife that she walk there.

Rideau and Cumberland’s a bad spot by Ottawa standards. Half a block from a large shelter, it’s in drug central, and between the Rideau Center and the liquor store. While I’d feel alright walking there if necessary, my phone wouldn’t be out and I’d very much have my wits about me. I wouldn’t ever suggest to my wife that she walk there.
I prefer to walk on Stewart to avoid all the terribleness on Rideau, but I work in 101, which makes it an option.

Reactions: ytz

I haven't been to downtown Ottawa in many years, so I'm not very familiar with the area. Thanks for confirming that.

The hilarious thing is that is actually the hoteling plan where we will have to sign in for a cubicle on a program that doesn't work yet, and supposed to start in less than a month, but that's basically how the cubes are laid.

So you may be in person to collaborate with people... working on different floors and/or buildings in the same team.

You can either reduce your footprint and hotdesk, or have us in all the time; somehow they are proposing we do both via magic.

The hilarious thing is that is actually the hoteling plan where we will have to sign in for a cubicle on a program that doesn't work yet, and supposed to start in less than a month, but that's basically how the cubes are laid.

So you may be in person to collaborate with people... working on different floors and/or buildings in the same team.

You can either reduce your footprint and hotdesk, or have us in all the time; somehow they are proposing we do both via magic.

1718930967880.png

Coffee Badging... it's the latest thing

Workplace habit of 'coffee badging' prompts reported new policy at Amazon​

Add "coffee badging"(opens in a new tab) to the list of post-pandemic workplace culture coinage to keep track of in 2024.

The term, which was coined by video conferencing tech company Owl Labs in 2023, has gained some new significance this week with multiple outlets reporting Amazon is allegedly taking measures to counter the habit it refers to.

According to Owl Labs, "coffee badging" is when employees of companies with return-to-office (RTO) mandates go into office to "show face" for a few hours, then head back home to finish the work day.

The company's "State of Hybrid Work 2023"(opens in a new tab) report found more than half (58 per cent) of hybrid employees they surveyed admitted to having done it, while a further eight per cent said they haven't, but would like to try.

Now, Amazon appears to be taking aim at the trend.

Earlier this week, Business Insider(opens in a new tab) and the Seattle Times(opens in a new tab) reported they had obtained Slack messages from Amazon workers who said there has been some talk among management of a minimum number of hours per day employees could be expected to spend in the office in order to meet the company's RTO mandate. Amazon announced in 2023 it would require employees to work from the office at least three days a week.

Coffee Badging... it's the latest thing

Workplace habit of 'coffee badging' prompts reported new policy at Amazon​

Add "coffee badging"(opens in a new tab) to the list of post-pandemic workplace culture coinage to keep track of in 2024.

The term, which was coined by video conferencing tech company Owl Labs in 2023, has gained some new significance this week with multiple outlets reporting Amazon is allegedly taking measures to counter the habit it refers to.

According to Owl Labs, "coffee badging" is when employees of companies with return-to-office (RTO) mandates go into office to "show face" for a few hours, then head back home to finish the work day.

The company's "State of Hybrid Work 2023"(opens in a new tab) report found more than half (58 per cent) of hybrid employees they surveyed admitted to having done it, while a further eight per cent said they haven't, but would like to try.

Now, Amazon appears to be taking aim at the trend.

Earlier this week, Business Insider(opens in a new tab) and the Seattle Times(opens in a new tab) reported they had obtained Slack messages from Amazon workers who said there has been some talk among management of a minimum number of hours per day employees could be expected to spend in the office in order to meet the company's RTO mandate. Amazon announced in 2023 it would require employees to work from the office at least three days a week.

Haven’t see that at work yet. But I have seen people come in late and leave early claiming they were working at home before and after in order to deal with kids, pets etc

My new workplace isn’t very amenable to hybrid work just due to the nature of the job, but over time enough non-sensitive and non-urgent administrivia piles up that a day or two from home can be productive for those who work well that way. I don’t personally take advantage of it, but if people are being properly supervised I don’t take issue with managers authorizing it as they see fit.

I know that in my organization the limited positions where hybrid work is an option are both highly sought after and highly scorned. There’s some eating of our own.

Haven’t see that at work yet. But I have seen people come in late and leave early claiming they were working at home before and after in order to deal with kids, pets etc
Which depending on how flexible the employer is, is fine. When I go to get my kids, I take my phone and tablet with me incase my team needs anything.

Back