• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FELEX - Halifax Class Modernisation

Both the Iroquois class and the Halifax class have 510s in various configurations.

The Iroquois class has a hull-mounted 510 and VDS 510 (at least the TRUMPed ones do).  The Halifax class has the hull-mounted 510 - I think that since they have the CANTASS, there is no room for a VDS 510.

The 510s seem to be doing well (correct me if I'm wrong), so maybe that's why no replacement as of yet.

VDS was removed a long time ago from the IRO Class, they are all sitting on pallets rusting in from of FMF. The equipment spaces are used for storage or a nice place to hide and take a nap. As far as I know, there is no plan to acquire anything similar. 

Chunks said:
VDS was removed a long time ago from the IRO Class, they are all sitting on pallets rusting in from of FMF. The equipment spaces are used for storage or a nice place to hide and take a nap. As far as I know, there is no plan to acquire anything similar.

So endeth the "Captain's getaway submarine" tales to naive ship's tour guests.  :)

SQS-510 is merly an uprated SQS-505 (more solid state) which was carried on IRE'S

During a recent tour of a IRO class a crewman showed me the garbage storage area where the VDS 510 had been removed. he stated it was because they now had Nixie (ha ha) which did a better job.

Vds a Canadian invention was touted as the greatest invention since sliced bread that could detect submarines at far greater ranges than HMS and do it below thermal layers.  What?  there are no more thermal barriers.

Recently a Canadian company won a multi million dollar contract to supply the Dutch Navy with the latest Active Towed Aray Sonar (you know the type that was too expensive for FELEX).

Many NATO frigates have updated their Sonars some twice since we fielded the 510.
This is only one sensor so it would seem, that its what we can sell to the GOV & the unwashed masses rather  rathed than whats the best available.

The SQS-510 has about the same relationship to the SQS-505 as the SPS-502 had to the SPS-10 ie not a whole lot in common other than the antenna/transducer. Re-using those tends to keep the cost down, but the important bits are all new.

Most of the cost of a warship is in it's combat systems. The entire budget for FELEX is about the same as for one new destroyer, and it has to buy and install systems for twelve ships. There just isn't enough money to add many new capabilities, they're having to struggle to just keep the old ones working. I think they're doing a pretty good job considering their constraints.

STONEY said:
One thing i've noticed in all the discussion of Felex  update is NO discussion at all of anti-submarine at all.
Have subs dissappeared from the equation alltogether.  Is the Halifax class soldiering on with sonar that was onboard
modernized Restigouche class ships 30 years ago or was a new HMS installed that i missed or has CANTASS replaced HMS.
The Canada First Defence Strategy only called for "a new command and control system, new radar capability, a new electronic warfare system and upgraded communications and missiles. Separate refit and stand-alone projects will include installation of new mechanical systems and modifications to accommodate the new Cyclone helicopters and a new military satellite communications system."

As a SONAR techie, I'm watching with interest.....any more OPEN SOURCE insight on what they're planning to do with my kit?

NS

NavyShooter said:
As a SONAR techie, I'm watching with interest.....any more OPEN SOURCE insight on what they're planning to do with my kit?

NS

Some of it is being upgraded...

bunn-commercial-coffee-urn-twin-3-gallon-popup.jpg

;D

PING!!!!!!!

That's my addiction fixed....for those who know my e-mail address (personal) this is an even more amuzing addendum...

NS

Sorry for reviving an old thread but this seems the most relevant place to post.

Links to Halifax Shipping news re: recent photos of HMCS Halifax and her visible upgrades

http://blog.halifaxshippingnews.ca/2012/06/halifax-class-mid-life-refit-update.html

http://blog.halifaxshippingnews.ca/2012/06/more-of-hmcs-halifax.html

http://blog.halifaxshippingnews.ca/2012/06/hmcs-halifax-back-to-dockyard.html

Actually the MHP retrofit is not part of HCM FELEX but is a separate upgrade on it's own.

Pat in Halifax said:
Actually the MHP retrofit is not part of HCM FELEX but is a separate upgrade on it's own.

True, Though I thought they were running concurently..

I thought I read that the Halifax class was to be fitted with the Smart-L 3D Radar.From the pics I have seen of her on sea trails it doesn't appear to be installed.

It is Smart-S. Smart-L is a lot bigger and used for AAW/TBMD.

That picture in the approaches looks like a smaller antenna than the SPS-49.

Back