• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Field Dressings : Is there any expiry?

According to the intensivist we had in theater when discussing the overabundance of Rohampton dressings that kept on being stocked on our shelves...pre-hospital  medics are just as well off using any type of clean or sterile drape. Heck, Sawran wrap works great! Slows fluid loss, keeps contaminants away...pre-hospital, what more could you ask for?

In Iraq, we had these US field dressings which had an use by date on them, I can't remember the name, but they were derived from shellfish, and about $100US a pop. we had these in our LAVs, adn with us, along with the generic ones.

We had to sign a waiver to consent to their use, and that was put on our med docs. It had something to do with their ability to promote clotting.

Our generic FADs do not carry a UBD, but they do wear, and then the plastic cover gives way contaminating them. I went thru many, and normall carried at least two on me at all times. Some of the lads had them attached to their rifles and LMGs also.

Cheers,

WEs

Wesley  Down Under said:
In Iraq, we had these US field dressings which had an use by date on them, I can't remember the name, but they were derived from shellfish.

Would they possibly have a negative effect on someone with a severe shellfish allergy?

willy said:
Would they possibly have a negative effect on someone with a severe shellfish allergy?

There's been discussion on that on here...I believe the verdict was that the chance of a reaction was slim to nil, but not non-existent.

willy said:

That might have been one of the reasons we signed a waiver, and we were asked if any of us did have an allergy prior to arriving 'in country'.

Cheers,

Wes

As far as I have herd, there  has been no anaphilaxis from using the new dressings. If anyone has herd of such a reaction through hearsay or by personal experience please feel free to chime in.

Back