• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Filing for an OSI with VAC

gryphonv

Reaction score
I am writing this as it could be motivation for some that need it. I know I needed motivation to file a claim myself.

I suffer from Depression, Social Anxiety, OCD, addiction  and a few other not so plesant things. I have had one suicide attempt about half way through my career. I put my head down and pushed through without really seeking help up until last year.

I had been diagnosed with a few of the previously mentioned conditions. Even after diagnosis I still downplayed them saying they are not so bad, others have it worse, and what ever I could do to deflect it.

I was still denying I had a major problem.

This is part of the problem with OSIs. As when someone has a physical injury we can see it, can see something is wrong. A mental injury is much different, most people are experts at hiding it. One thing I've learned is you can't deal with it on your own. There is a very good support structure in the CF for addessing OSIs, no matter how small or insignifigant it may seem to you seek some help, talk to a professional, be brutally honest and don't hold anything back.

People may downplay it, or may hold things in for fear of career implications. But these are not healthy. Be forthcomming, let a professional decide how serious things are not you.

I deflected, I denied, I hid, and the only thing that came of this was I didn't get 'better' things probably got worse.

If you are diagnosed with anything, prescribed any medications, or prescribed councelling for any issue file a claim with VAC.

I recommend this not for the monetary reward, but for the acknowledgement from VAC that there is a condition. At one point in your life, your military career will end. But OSIs are usually a lifetime condition that requires maintenance. While you are still serving it is easy to get professional help on short notice. While you are in the public health side out of the military it can be much more difficult, time consuming, even expensive.

The VAC paperwork can and will take a lot of time to process before they acknowledge a condition. It's time that is better spent while you are still serving, it gives you that extra safety net when you are a civilian again.

These are the exact reasons that were told to me why I should file with VAC. Even now I still downplay my condition, even with the support of many professionals who know better than myself.

There is a stigma for OSIs, and I am guilty of my own prejudices towards them saying things like 'suck it up', 'be a man', and so on. Seek help, no matter how minor you may think something is, let the professionals decide how minor or serious it is.

Great post, thanks for sharing. How did you find VAC supporting your condition once you filed the claim? Walls like someone with a bad back, or more accommodating?

I only filed early may. So I can't say how good they are. But it was heavily recommended by my release case manager as I have a history on my medical files and I am still doing treatment.

Everything I hear though says VAC are very supportive when it comes to OSIs. I think it may have been due to previous bad press and veterans not getting the help they deserved. If there is a history on your medical file it help getting approved. I'll update more when my file is complete. Also if anyone has any questions they rather ask me in private I'm open to those also.

Back