• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Finally some contact!

We all have minds that produce unpopular opinions, some...are best left kept inside!

Best of luck to you in your journey sir!

So I emailed the recruitment office and asked for some more information. The lady replied and said unfortunately with a combined score I was not competitive enough for infantry and combat engineer. And after three months I can apply for a waiver to rewrite. What I don't get is I never listed infantry or combat engineer as a trade choice. So either those two trades are the next in line after steward that require a low score to get into, or she is looking at some other test results that are not mine. I emailed her back for an explanation as to where she got infantry and combat engineer from, and to check and make sure she is in fact looking at my test results and not some other persons.

Well after waiting my three months I called back in September to request a rewrite. I received an email yesterday from a Captain requesting information regarding what studying I have done, log of hours and material used. I guess he is reviewing my request. I did not know it was a requirement to keep a log of everything. Anyway, I had to email back another Captain he specified in the email with my information. Hopefully all goes well and I get the green light.

Well, a year later. My waiver was finally approved. I wrote my cfat yesterday and qualified for all of my selected trades.

Congratulations, determination is a hell of a thing.

Keep us posted on your journey, and best of luck!  :)

Well good luck, but I have some advice for you.  You had difficulty with an aptitude test and although a certain level of basic knowledge is required in order to complete it, it really is not a test of knowledge.  It's a test of your ability to understand certain types of things and work things out.  It's good that you were able to study some stuff and go into it better prepared, but the fact remains that you struggled with it.  You have chosen a number of very technical trades and I would predict that you will struggle with the training you may be about to undergo.  Think about the test you just completed that you had months to prepare for and which you had already done (different questions perhaps, but much the same type of stuff).  Now think about learning completely new concepts and the test is at the end of the week.  Be prepared!

The fact that stewards can be enrolled with "lesser" aptitude scores does not mean they are less bright than others.  It may simply mean that their brains work differently than other people who are more technically inclined.  Just because Winston Churchill didn't develop the theory of relativity doesn't mean that he wasn't as bright at Einstein any more that calling Einstein a moron because he didn't write a history of the world.

Steward is an honourable trade that has been reviewed on several occasions to assess its viability and necessity.  It's still here and the people who do it are full and active members of the Canadian Armed Forces.  Some are on active operations at this very moment and they are just as much a contribution to mission success as anybody else.  It may not be a trade you're interested in, but you're not "better than that."

Good luck to you for the future.

From a guy who supervises stewards

I applied back in November of last year. Apparently the recruiter has been trying to get hold of me since then. Anyway, sent another application about a month ago and did my physical, CFAT, Medical, and interview in 5 days. Apparently I'm a V2 so I need to see an optometrist Which will slow my application for a week or so.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Pusser said:
Well good luck, but I have some advice for you.  You had difficulty with an aptitude test and although a certain level of basic knowledge is required in order to complete it, it really is not a test of knowledge.  It's a test of your ability to understand certain types of things and work things out.  It's good that you were able to study some stuff and go into it better prepared, but the fact remains that you struggled with it.  You have chosen a number of very technical trades and I would predict that you will struggle with the training you may be about to undergo.  Think about the test you just completed that you had months to prepare for and which you had already done (different questions perhaps, but much the same type of stuff).  Now think about learning completely new concepts and the test is at the end of the week.  Be prepared!

The fact that stewards can be enrolled with "lesser" aptitude scores does not mean they are less bright than others.  It may simply mean that their brains work differently than other people who are more technically inclined.  Just because Winston Churchill didn't develop the theory of relativity doesn't mean that he wasn't as bright at Einstein any more that calling Einstein a moron because he didn't write a history of the world.

Steward is an honourable trade that has been reviewed on several occasions to assess its viability and necessity.  It's still here and the people who do it are full and active members of the Canadian Armed Forces.  Some are on active operations at this very moment and they are just as much a contribution to mission success as anybody else.  It may not be a trade you're interested in, but you're not "better than that."

Good luck to you for the future.

From a guy who supervises stewards

I have been working on automobiles since I was young. And no I don't mean changing oil and brake pads. I also worked out west in a shop environment fixing half a million dollar oil rig equipment. Large pumps, hydraulics, electrical, motors, wiring, centrifuges right down to types of seals, bearings you name it. Working with my hands and anything mechanical is what I like to do. As for my first attempt at writing the test, I walked in completely blind on a midnight shift with less than 3 weeks to prepare. I thought I could wing it and that was my mistake. I have been out of school for nearly 10 years so my math was very weak. I had forgotten how to do pretty much everything. And to be honest, I didn't study anything until the week leading up to my cfat date the second time. I dabbled here and there during the year but nothing serious and no long term studying. The week prior to my test I sat down for a few hours everyday and relearned everything. I was always terrified with math, but it is so ridiculously easy. Maybe it is because I am older now? Who knows. If only I did that bit of studying last year I would probably be in already. My best friend also did terrible his first time with his cfat and he opted for a rewrite, scored well enough for AVN the second time and he has been doing it for 7 years now. He was nowhere as mechanically inclined as me and he seems to do alright. Just because I did so poorly on my first attempt doesn't mean I am too stupid to do a trade like AVN. I do admit I was stupid for not brushing up on my math and preparing for it like I should have but this time I walked through it like it was nothing. The recruiter asked me what trades I wanted after and said I qualified for everything with no issues. I am still stuck on a third trade and don't know what I want to put in there but he told me to let him know and I more than likely eligible for it so I must have done pretty good.

As for the Steward comment I posted a year ago. I apologize for that. I was angry and pissed off at the time and what I said was totally uncalled for.

Received my job offer for AVN Tech on Oct 24th. Swear in December 8th, BMQ January 9th. Persistence paid off. Good luck to everyone else!

dbrks88 said:
Received my job offer for AVN Tech on Oct 24th. Swear in December 8th, BMQ January 9th. Persistence paid off. Good luck to everyone else!

Congrats!!  [:)

Back