• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fire on HMCS Toronto

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2005/06/06/1074401-cp.html

Crewmen taken to hospital after fire on Canadian warship docked in Halifax

HALIFAX (CP) - Several crewmembers were taken to hospital for observation following a fire on HMCS Toronto that broke out as the frigate sat docked in port Monday night.

Crew from the frigate battled the fire that began at 7:10 p.m. in the vessel's forward auxiliary machinery room. They were joined by personnel from three other ships and a fire tug, as well as others at the navy dockyard. It took over 45 minutes to extinguish the blaze.
Mike Bonin, a navy spokesman, said the crewmembers were taken to hospital for "very, very minor observations." He didn't know the exact number.

"They were on one of the decks and breathed some of the smoke," Bonin said.
There were no details on the extent of the damage. A navy news release praised personnel for "their quick action in containing damage."
The cause of the fire was being investigated.

Built in Saint John, N.B., HMCS Toronto was commissioned by the navy in 1993.
The 134-metre warship has taken part in a number of operations, including enforcing embargoes of

wow
I hope the crewmen make it better then those on the sub. I'm also curious as to how much damage was done if they needed a fire tug.

the fire tug is always called in case of fire. Its DND owned and manned 27/7.

sledge said:
the fire tug is always called in case of fire. Its DND owned and manned 27/7.

27/7? Now THAT is what I call high readiness!

Seriously now, I'm glad nobody was seriously injured (at least, from news report). I just hate to think of the spin it's gonna take in the media in the next few days. "Canadian vessels unsafe" and all that crap, most likely. How long until the media and mob demand they be left in ports?

Fire hits Cdn warship

By MICHAEL TUTTON

HALIFAX (CP) - Navy medical officers checked 16 sailors for smoke inhalation Tuesday after a blaze aboard a frigate tied up at the Halifax dockyards.

The navy later confirmed they were all released by Tuesday morning, and there were no lasting effects from their exposure to a diesel generator fire aboard HMCS Toronto.

It was unclear what caused the fire, the navy said.

Cmdr. Chris Henderson, an Ottawa-based public affairs officer, said the medical exams were done as a precaution in light of the fatal fire aboard the submarine HMCS Chicoutimi last fall.

"What I do understand is the reason for the (checks) is the navy's heightened concern about inhalation injuries," said Henderson.

"They were taken to the hospital to be assessed and put under observation. . . . Some had been exposed to smoke during the fire."

There have been several fires on navy vessels over the past year.

In February, the frigate HMCS Fredericton caught fire while it was docked in Hamilton, Bermuda.

No one was hurt in that blaze. Investigators traced the cause to a faulty transformer in an electrical panel.

Last fall, a major fire broke out aboard Chicoutimi. One officer died and eight others suffered smoke inhalation injuries.

The navy has since launched a review of how it trains medics to respond to smoke inhalation casualties.

In Halifax, crew from HMCS Toronto battled the fire that began at 7:10 p.m. Monday in the vessel's forward auxiliary machinery room.

They were joined by personnel from three other ships and a fire tug, as well as others at the navy dockyard. It took 45 minutes to extinguish the blaze. '

There were no details on the extent of the damage.

A statement from the navy praised personnel for "their quick action in containing damage."

Built in Saint John, N.B., HMCS Toronto was commissioned by the navy in 1993.

The 134-metre warship has taken part in a number of operations, including enforcing embargoes of the former Yugoslavia and Iraq.

So maybe the public will start waking up? Or maybe they'll just wait until one of the ships actually SINKS and we loose more life in 1 shot than since WW2. (Sorry, don't mean to jinx any navy types!!!)

I mean really, is it this frequent for fires to happen aboard military vessels? As far as I know, it's really not good to have fires aboard a ship... Is the service life of those frigates reached yet? I didn't think it was... But again, I'm not in the navy and I'm a land-loving not fully trained PTE also...

Frustrates me that our men and women already put our lives on the line to defend Canada and it's people but have to put up with crap like this because the government and tax payers don't give a shkit about us...

Frigate fire caused by heat from diesel engine
CTV.ca News Staff

A fire on the HMCS Toronto Monday night was caused by heat from a diesel engine, which ignited material on a floor above, says Lt.-Cmdr. Jeffery Zwick, the executive officer of Toronto.

The engine was undergoing routine maintenance at full power when the fire began at approximately 7 p.m., while the ship sat docked in Halifax.

One of the first to respond was Tony Crossley, the senior engineer on board at the time.

He initially attempted to put the fire out with an extinguisher, before rigging a fire hose.

The fire was extinguished by 7:30 p.m., and 16 crew members were taken to hospital to be checked for smoke inhalation injuries. All were released Tuesday morning. The engine itself was never on fire.

"Cmdr. Chris Henderson, an Ottawa-based public affairs officer, says the crew members were likely hospitalized as a heightened precaution because of the HMCS Chicoutimi fire last fall."

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1118142386709_5?hub=topstories

Fires happen guys, we do what we can to prevent them and learn from then but at the same time ask yourselves this how often are there vehicle accidents involving military vehicles or crashes involving aircraft? Get the picture?

Ex-Dragoon said:
Fires happen guys, we do what we can to prevent them and learn from then but at the same time ask yourselves this how often are there vehicle accidents involving military vehicles or crashes involving aircraft? Get the picture?

Very good point indeed, I suppose that's why when something does happen with a military vehicle of any kind it's such a big deal to the press...

Ex-Dragoon said:

He's right, no need to overreact - I'm sure we've all seen a few Iltis' go blowtorch.

If anything, this is a good showing for the crew who were able to deal with the situation and save the ship from any major damage.  :salute:

Remember, all of the ship's company have fire fighter training prior to joining a ship and additionally they re-qualify on an annual basis. It is something we practice for all the time.

Every day in Halifax just after everyone leaves for the day, you will hear every ship go through some sort of damage control exercise with the duty watch. The exercise could be a Man-Over-Board, Fire, Flood, Casualty, Security or any other type of exercise that they can dream up. When you do a duty every 10-15 days, the procedures do remain fresh in your head. It's a good practice and when it does happen, then the response is instinctive.... thats the way it should be.

Too right....practice makes perfect. I've alway's said that Floods might happen, Fires will. Just a matter of time. For the non-Navy fellow who commented on the HFXClass being near end of service life, I believe you'll find that fires happen more consistently on newer vessels than old.
Still pretty spooky though, what with the duty watch being your response, DG trials crew aboard or not. Seems to me they got it right! Good Job, lads...

The exercise could be a Man-Over-Board, Fire, Flood, Casualty, Security or any other type of exercise that they can dream up.

Unfortunately they tend to concentrate far too much on Fire Exs vice any other type of evolution to exercise the Duty Watch in Harbour. MOB and Flood I can count on one hand the number of times I have done that type of exercise during a normal duty watch. Security (Force Protection Ex) are more common when you are deployed. Hazmat I can recall one actual ex and I don't recall ever doing a casualty ex.

Back