• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Firefighter's Thread

From what ive seen there is a big difference between the College Level FF course and the PF Program. the firefighters seems more switched on as a whole... and i dont blame them... they seem to get a hell of alot more relevant hands on training... naturally there are certain things that you obviously cant do in a police foundations program, for Legal reasons... but even still... the closest thing to accual police work I did there was writing a Provincial Offence Ticket for one of my classes.... it sometimes felt like all the program was, was a big cash grab. I did learn a few things I wouldnt otherwise know, but i mean come on... our class didnt even need to pass the PREP to graduate. (granted we were the only year that happened due to the equipment being Broken...) but it was pathetic... we had Bags who couldnt even get to Stage 3 on the Shuttle Run, and who had no chance with any of the restraint sims. or Push/pull test.

to my understanding (correct me if im wrong.) but at humber the firefighter and paramedic courses require physical tests to get in, as well as once per semester. and its alot more physical then the PREP and 6.5 on the shuttle run.... 

also it seemed like humber Paramedic and Fire were getting hands-on Trg. with the respective services as well as ride outs and such.... all PFP got were a few movies and alot of theory, only some of which could accually be applied i think. but thats just MHO.

anywho sorry about the rant. I have no problem with alot of the firefighter and paramedic types wearing the school stuff. ive just found that too often PFP students who advertise the fact tend to do it in a negative way.

Regards

Josh

Josh,

I can agree and sypathize with a lot of what you are saying.  Often times, i felt like my program was a big cash grab.  I had to take calculus and physics courses in a FF program....physics i can see on the fire ground, but calculus....i cannot.  I think it really depends on what program your in.  Most college FF programs are 3 semesters, i was able to get acepted to one that was 3 years long, so we learned a lot of extra stuff, a lot to do with industrial FF and HAZMAT.

To answer the fitness question, the passing mark for my course was a level 10 on the beep test, our teacher would give us bonus marks to run to 12 though, so we always did that  ;) we had to do two fitness tests per semester in which a passing grade of 80 % was required in the course.  I did "Gym class" every semester for three years.  From my standpoint it was fantastic, our Gym teacher was sick and twisted and really pushed us to the limits.

Now, i have seen what the PF students did at my school for fitness testing and IMHO comparing it to what we did, it was a joke.  Now i realize every school is different, so take it from there.  We also had our own 6 acre training ground, which the school owned with a bunch of other companies in which tto burn everything imaginable.  Maybe the same could be done with a College offering PF ? maybe make it like a CQB simulator or somthing ? i know a lot of Police forces use the movie simulators with the lazers and all that jazz, just a thought.

cheers

PV

Ugh... dont even get me started on the actual police type training we do in PFP.

I just about to the point that I am going to get my money back for this semester, and go to another college to continue... simply because this particular campus gives us NOTHING except a few volunteer initiatives.

talking to other students from other campus's who get to go on 2 week long ride-along programs with the local police, things like that... all I would really ask for was a co-op program included... going over grade 8 political structure and first nations history does not make me very happy with where I dropped my money...

Now I understand that these are things that are needed in the world today, an understanding of cultures, and political history. But what I wouldnt give for some REAL police training, something to instill excitement in the class. Right now the most exciting thing we have going is a trip to the morgue.

WOW.

Forgive my bitterness, does anyone on the board know any really good campus's for co-op terms?

I think everyone has to take their fair share of not so useful courses.  With some programs (mine), you have to take a certain amount of courses from other areas in order to satisfy the diploma requirements.  it was kinda dumb somtimes...a whole class on college orientation...hahahaha.

I know with the new pre-service-firefighter certificate programs they are running now at almost all collgeges, a co op portion is mandatory, which, i do believe includes ride-a-longs.  I really don't know what College has good PFP's but i have heard good things about Mohawk, Conestoga and Lambton.

cheers

PV

Scott said:
Feel free to introduce yourself here, share a few stories and laughs, etc.

I'm an Oilfield Firefighter, Sift Foreman in the Grande Prairie, AB station for HSE Integrated www.hseintegrated.com

I started in this racket over five years ago with SafetyBOSS www.safetyboss.com and came to HSE when they bought SafetyBOSS's Canadian assets.

Started firefighting as a volunteer in Nova Scotia, went through MUN's firefighting program in 99-00, did a stint at Survival Systems Training in Halifax until hired by SafetyBOSS, now split time between HSE and the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources Helitack Crew just until HSE gets our office in Halifax a bit more established.

Been on some good fires in the oilfield, you can see pics at the SafetyBOSS site, also went to the G-8 in Kananaskis for HAZMAT and was on the House River Fire (2002, Ft McMurray area) as well as the fires of BC in 03.

Next?

Im Jorden

Im with the Lantz Volunteer Fire Dept station 400 I have been a firefighter for going on a year and three months now

NSfirefighter said:
Im Jorden

Im with the Lantz Volunteer Fire Dept station 400 I have been a firefighter for going on a year and three months now

And a Cadet Corporal?? *raised Eyebrow...*

Tommy said:
And a Cadet Corporal?? *raised Eyebrow...*

i should have been more detailed my dept have junior firefighters and im a jr at the moment and yes im a cadet cpl im also 17 i joined the cadet game a little late

Roger That.

Didnt mean to sound like an arse, but we get the occational wanna-be type on here who doesnt realize Milnet is a lot more then your average Msg Board!

Sounds like a pretty cool deal that Jr Firefighter thing.

at 17 you might want to give some consideration to the Reserves since youre going to age out of cadets sooner then later.. If there is a Army/Navy/Air unit in your area it might be worthwhile.

either way, welcome to milnet.  :)

Back