• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First Autonomous UH-60A Black Hawk Flight. Leaves the tarmac on its first fully unmanned flight. Fort Campbell, KY Feb 8, 2022

Darned smooth hover!

Was that a pilot? Or was that a Vehicle Commander? The emphasis was on autonomy as I read it. The "crew" monitored the autonomously functioning craft. No?

Was that a pilot? Or was that a Vehicle Commander? The emphasis was on autonomy as I read it. The "crew" monitored the autonomously functioning craft. No?
The Pilot ship already sailed, the RCAF Codified it with RPAS.
Aircraft - manned or unmanned have a Pilot - regardless if the Pilot is in the craft or not.
*I think it should be called Virtual Pilot ;)

Vehicles - manned or unmanned have a Driver - they may also have a gunner, and perhaps a Vehicle Commander too.

Ships - I guess we shall see what happens with the remote sea going things - but I am guessing we shall see Virtual Captains now too...

Aircraft - manned or unmanned have a Pilot - regardless if the Pilot is in the craft or not.

Vehicles - manned or unmanned have a Driver - they may also have a gunner, and perhaps a Vehicle Commander too.

Ships - I guess we shall see what happens with the remote sea going things - but I am guessing we shall see Virtual Captains now too...
Ships are already in pretty far stages of development, with IMO drafting legislation for it. Will have some kind of remote monitoring, but they will likely have some AI as well for a backup in case there are comms issues so they can do basic avoidance of other ships, and not run aground.

I think kongsberg and Royals Royce have done testing, and a few navies have remotely operated ships in testing as well. On a smaller scale unmanned underwater vehicles have been a thing for a while, and they can be set to do an autonomous survey of a set route and other similar items. They are pretty wee though so not really a collision issue for ships, and far enough below the surface to not impact smaller boats.

Autonomous shipping

Vehicles - I guess that is why this design never flew.

A tank, with two 120mm 6-shot recoilless revolvers on tracks, and one Driver/Gunner/VC combined. In the 1960s. In Britain.

1644433975521.png

But what will the Union think?

Ships are already in pretty far stages of development, with IMO drafting legislation for it. Will have some kind of remote monitoring, but they will likely have some AI as well for a backup in case there are comms issues so they can do basic avoidance of other ships, and not run aground.

I think kongsberg and Royals Royce have done testing, and a few navies have remotely operated ships in testing as well. On a smaller scale unmanned underwater vehicles have been a thing for a while, and they can be set to do an autonomous survey of a set route and other similar items. They are pretty wee though so not really a collision issue for ships, and far enough below the surface to not impact smaller boats.

Autonomous shipping
Roger -- I was more trying to poke fun at the naming conventions that some have adopted.

Vehicles - I guess that is why this design never flew.

A tank, with two 120mm 6-shot recoilless revolvers on tracks, and one Driver/Gunner/VC combined. In the 1960s. In Britain.

View attachment 68598

But what will the Union think?
Looks a little like the M50 Ontos (it had 6 106mm recoilless)

Autonomous shipping
Will be interesting to see how those Ships fare in the Wild Wild East 😁

Or even just in normal areas with any kind of recreational boating; remember some bellend in Vancouver taking their paddleboard into a shipping lane and almost getting killed, because no one on the bridge could see him over the bow.

Lots of questions, especially with all the boats that don't show up on radar, but for some of these dedicated runs in specific is doable. Still seems more expensive to have land based crews than a few people on a bridge, but who knows. Maybe all the savings for not having hotel services onboard balances out, especially if you have maintenance crews on each end, but that means you can't do maintenance while sailing🤷‍♂️

I think it will go okay until the first accident and then insurance concerns will require crews again.

Yup.

Air Traffic Controllers control aircraft for a given area. I don't think that's the right term.

If you control the aircraft, you're a Pilot.

But if you control the Swarm you're an Air Traffic Controller?

If Privates are Pilots what rank controls the Swarm?

But if you control the Swarm you're an Air Traffic Controller?

If Privates are Pilots what rank controls the Swarm?

I guess? I don't even think military folks have seriously debated that terminology.

Personal opinion: If you have a swarm scenario, you won't also have individual RPAS pilots. It's kind of one or the other - the whole idea of the swarm is that they're all acting as one...uh...swarm.

Back